Blues - Without a jacket

Started by Smoothice, March 24, 2011, 02:20:10 PM

Smoothice

Hi,
I have a big-to-do at our meeting tonight. We were requested to wear blues. I have them, but since I only have the short-sleeve version, I do not own a blazer or jacket to go with it....

I know its technically wrong, but can I wear a plain old jacket over it...just for the walk from the car to the meeting...if I take it off right away? Will any one care? What do you think???

thanks!

davidsinn

Quote from: Smoothice on March 24, 2011, 02:20:10 PM
Hi,
I have a big-to-do at our meeting tonight. We were requested to wear blues. I have them, but since I only have the short-sleeve version, I do not own a blazer or jacket to go with it....

I know its technically wrong, but can I wear a plain old jacket over it...just for the walk from the car to the meeting...if I take it off right away? Will any one care? What do you think???

thanks!

You answered your own question. I would carry the jacket in the car in case of emergency but wouldn't put it on unless there was a problem where you lose heat or some such. You can survive a short walk from car to meeting in short sleeves in all but the coldest of weather so just do that.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Technically wrong is still wrong.

Integrity is what we do when no one is watching...

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

NO!  A civilian jacket over the blues is forbidden.   End of story, no exceptions.  (OK, maybe a life or death situation)

WIWAWC, an AF inspector noticed a member wearing such a jacket over his blues while signing in for a SLS.  I had to listen for about 30 minutes why CAP members don't respect the uniform.... >:(

MSgt Van

"...Will any one care? "
Not a factor.

I don't care if it's your commander, Wing CC, or CAP-USAF who doesn't care about the standards. Set the example.

EMT-83

Just curious – it's the end of March, what did you do all winter?

The reality is not all cadets have outerwear for their blues. My compromise is they wear their civilian jacket, and take it off when they get out car. They carry it inside and hang it up. Reverse the procedure when they leave, and carry the jacket outside and put it when they get back in the car. Leaving the jacket in the cold car for a couple of hours makes it pretty uncomfortable when you put it back on.

Anyone who suggests that cadets wear no jacket at all in the winter just to comply with 39-1 is an idiot.

Eclipse

For starters, we are not discussing cadets.

Cadets get the "safety / cash flow look the other way", it isn't right, but they have few options.

I do not allow for that with seniors, especially with blues, since senior have full choice in their uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

BradM

What is the proper jacket to wear with the short sleeve blues and/or long sleeve blues w/tie but no service coat? Its not the new black CAP A-2 jacket, correct?

One would be the Air Force blue windbreaker. But that is hard to find at the local base BXs in my area. But if you wanted a heavier jacket than a windbreaker what would you wear?
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

FW

Windbreaker or Trenchcoat.  That's about it unless you wish to wear the sweater; pullover or cardigan.

Eclipse

CAP members never, ever wear a leather jacket of any kind with USAF-Style uniforms, regardless of color or style.

The proper jacket is either the waist-length "windbreaker", which has a liner and can be purchased from AAFES, or the long trench-style coat.

If it is especially cold, then wear the sweater underneath.

If you're expected to be outside for anything more than a few minutes in real "winter" conditions, then you shouldn't be wearing your blues.

"That Others May Zoom"

BradM

Quote from: FW on March 24, 2011, 05:46:24 PM
Windbreaker or Trenchcoat.  That's about it unless you wish to wear the sweater; pullover or cardigan.

I was just looking in 39-1 and saw that there are 3 choices: the All-weather Coat, the Raincoat, and the Overcoat. The All-weather Coat and Overcoat look a lot alike. Is one warmer than the other? or one longer than the other?
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

EMT-83

Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2011, 05:03:02 PM
For starters, we are not discussing cadets.

Cadets get the "safety / cash flow look the other way", it isn't right, but they have few options.

I do not allow for that with seniors, especially with blues, since senior have full choice in their uniforms.

Sorry, though Smoothie was a cadet.

Yeah, what you said.

MIKE

Quote from: BradM on March 24, 2011, 05:54:16 PM
Quote from: FW on March 24, 2011, 05:46:24 PM

I was just looking in 39-1 and saw that there are 3 choices: the All-weather Coat, the Raincoat, and the Overcoat. The All-weather Coat and Overcoat look a lot alike. Is one warmer than the other? or one longer than the other?

The All-weather Coat is a combination of the Raincoat and the Overcoat which is not as water repellent.  It's a good all-rounder.
Mike Johnston

BradM

For the All-weather Coat and the Overcoat do you order it one size larger so it fits over your service coat? I'm a 42S in the service coat so would I order a 44S or 44R (if there are a S and R size)? or the 42 size?
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

RVT

Quote from: FW on March 24, 2011, 04:06:33 PM
NO!  A civilian jacket over the blues is forbidden.   End of story, no exceptions.

Which is the main reason why I, a member who meets height, weight & grooming, tend to leave my blues on the rack & wear the white & grey most of the time.  Any coat I want and a lot looser standards for shoes.

As it happens I have a service coat, but none of the less formal substitutes for it, no windbreaker or either of the sweaters.  Which is really annoying in my case as I can use all three of those for that other activity I'm in.

Wearing the overcoat or all weather coat over just a shirt feels odd since it fits loose without the service coat on.

Major Lord

If you have to wear a civvie coat, wear one long enough to hide your uniform, and tell anyone that asks that you are in the ACA! Our base has a thrift shop on it that pretty much eliminates the "coat is too expensive" excuse for being out of uniform, and perhaps for the next meeting you can find one on the cheap. The short "windbreaker" is a pretty useful jacket, but you will have to buy a separate set of epaulets for it. If its really cold or pouring buckets, do what you need to do, including a heft garbage bag with a hole in it and newspaper tied around your feet. The motto " Looking cool is more important than survival" has no place in the right-minded!

Major Lord
p.s. Odds are you need a haircut too!
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Major Carrales

Quote from: Major Lord on March 24, 2011, 08:27:36 PM
If you have to wear a civvie coat, wear one long enough to hide your uniform, and tell anyone that asks that you are in the ACA! Our base has a thrift shop on it that pretty much eliminates the "coat is too expensive" excuse for being out of uniform, and perhaps for the next meeting you can find one on the cheap. The short "windbreaker" is a pretty useful jacket, but you will have to buy a separate set of epaulets for it. If its really cold or pouring buckets, do what you need to do, including a heft garbage bag with a hole in it and newspaper tied around your feet. The motto " Looking cool is more important than survival" has no place in the right-minded!

Major Lord
p.s. Odds are you need a haircut too!

Years ago, I was at a meeting at a local Reserve Center for a presentation and had to go out to the car to get some flags and other things I could not carry in.  A bystander offered me the use of a trenchcoat as a "drape" because of a sudden shower.  As I was walking out with the jacket over me like a tarp...they wanted a quick photo, which I obliged with the coat on my shoulders. 

It came that said image was put up on the internet.  Suddenly, someone got a hold of it at Civil Air Portal or CadetStuff and began the "hammering."

I learned two things that occasion 1) heath and safety just might trump the wear of a uniform some times and to varying degrees and 2) some people are busy bodies who care nothing of context or tact when discussing things on "FUNNY PHOTO" threads.

We are approaching that stage in this thread.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BradM

Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2011, 05:52:48 PM
CAP members never, ever wear a leather jacket of any kind with USAF-Style uniforms, regardless of color or style.

Too bad we can't wear the new black A-2 jacket with Command patch and the leather name patch with the blues uniform (minus the service coat) with the flight cap.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

ol'fido

BITD, it was pretty common for senior members to wear the blue nylon flight jacket(and sometimes the green flight jacket) with the blues. The only other option besides the overcoat or raincoat was the thin poplin jacket(Brrrr!). Just FYI.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Thrashed

I found a "Lightweight Blue Jacket" on Ebay for $30.  It has a removable liner too.  Works great, no tie needed.  See CAPM 39-1 Page 37.
I also have a "All weather coat" some one gave me for free. Page 38.

Save the triangle thingy