CAP Army Equivilent tasks.

Started by Sapper168, March 23, 2011, 06:29:55 PM

Sapper168

I am not sure this is the right place on the forum for this post, so Admin feel free to move as needed.

Has anyone ever done a CAP and Military equivilant tasks chart, list or table?  An example....

CAP Ground and Urban Direction Finding Team Task # O-0209(Identify major terrain features on map)  is the same as Army basic soldiers skill task # 071-329-1001(Identify major terrain features on a map). 
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Eclipse

No - this question has come up before.

Members should just do the tasks without expectation of equivelency from other organizations.  They are simple enough, and yet require
enough proficiency that they should be demonstrated in person.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

What would be the purpose of spending the time to make such a chart? 

The CyBorg is destroyed

The Army, Army Reserve and National Guard are all combat armed services.

CAP is not.

Therefore, such a comparison is, at best, really a stretch.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Sapper168

Wow, simple yes or no questions always seem to degrade into so much more on this forum....   ::)

lordmonar

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on March 23, 2011, 08:12:29 PM
Wow, simple yes or no questions always seem to degrade into so much more on this forum....   ::)

Welcome to CAPTalk  >:D

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Well, the simple answer is that no one probably has ever done so.  I'll ask again, what would be the purpose of wanting such a chart? 

a2capt

Skill comparison where the titles may not be the same, for familiarizing/matching someones existing skill set with one that they'd likely be able to demonstrate ability under CAPs classifications?

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on March 23, 2011, 09:38:50 PM
Skill comparison where the titles may not be the same, for familiarizing/matching someones existing skill set with one that they'd likely be able to demonstrate ability under CAPs classifications?

If they can do it then just demonstrate it. Don't worry if X=Y or not.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on March 23, 2011, 06:29:55 PM
I am not sure this is the right place on the forum for this post, so Admin feel free to move as needed.

Has anyone ever done a CAP and Military equivilant tasks chart, list or table?  An example....

CAP Ground and Urban Direction Finding Team Task # O-0209(Identify major terrain features on map)  is the same as Army basic soldiers skill task # 071-329-1001(Identify major terrain features on a map).
Are you asking because you are enlisting in the Army? If so, here is some good info for you.

If you have completed Army pre-Basic Training task list as a member of Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP) or Delayed Training Program (DTP). Note: If member is already entitled to advanced grade of E-2, completion of the task list entitles the member for advancement to the paygrade of E-3. Many of the tasks listed on the GTM3-1 SQTRs are the same as on the PreBasic Training Task List. Sometimes your recruiter will be familiar with CAP and use your SQTRs to complete as many tasks on the task list.

Also, if you have completed all phase II requirements of the Air Force Civil Air Patrol and have been awarded the Billy Mitchell Award you will be eligible for advanced promotion to the grade of E-2 upon completion of Basic Training.

If you do both, you will be eligible for E-3. The only thing is, be sure to get it in writing. Also if you do complete the task list and get your Mitchell Award you cannot be recycled in Basic Training otherwise you will lose everything you worked for.

Major Carrales

GRRRR...a minor dog pile is a dog pile none the less.  I apologize on behalf of of those that could not resist "jumping all over" you when it is obvious to me that you had a legitimate point you felt deeply about.

I began doing one such thing with the BOY SCOUT requirements, never quite finished. 

Don't be discouraged by the banality that sometimes occurs here.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Flying Pig

Im a SAR pilot at work and was in the infantry.  I found the SQTR's pretty comperable to what I do in my daily life.  I just got through them and called it a day.  It was pretty easy.  As far as readin a map?  Sitting down with our ES officer, demonstrating my knowledge and I was signed off.  Kind of like some officers I know at work.  Were you in the military?  If so, you'll know that just because you may have been proficient 10 years ago, doesnt mean you dont need a review or are still proficient at a task.

They will spend two hours trying to talk their way out of writing a report, than just taking the 15 minutes and writting it.

You were not dogpilled on.  You asked a question and were given an answer.  After two answers your complaining about the discussion degrading?  And Joe, I dont think any of the above posters, nor myself need you apologizing for us.

Sapper168

It wasn't a complaint, it was an observation.  I asked a question, it was then answered in the very next post.  Then Yes it started to degrade, as it always seems to do on any forum. Nowhere in my question was it said, suggested, or otherwise implied that we are the military or that anyone was trying to 'get around' demonstrating proficiencies.

As to why/what  you would or could use this type of chart/list/ table for, its simple.... recruitment, familiarization of training, showing cadets that they are actually learning military skills... etc. 

I know several people who want to volunteer and would be a good addition to CAP but dont think that their skills can be utilized in a civilian organization.  After sitting down with them and going through the GTTG and my old soldiers basic task guide i was able to show them that they already know most of the skills they would use as a GT Member. A simple comparison chart would have simplified the task.

ol'fido

Speaking as a former 11B and someone who has done or been around GT training/ops for most of 30yrs, I will say that if you are proficient at land navigation in the Army you can do land nav in CAP. Same thing with survival tasks given that most of the SQTR tasks for Survival were lifted verbatim from the Army FM21-75(I think that's the one). And ten to one you know how to walk in the woods and can out hump most of the GTs in CAP. For most of the tasks that are not directly related to searches, you will have more training and experience in than 90% of people in CAP.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Flying Pig

So just do the SQTR and be done with it.

SarDragon

This seems to be another case of "Don't tell me how good you think you are, show me how good you really are."

Let me give you an example - I learned how to direct airplanes as a cadet in CAP. When I joined the Navy, I went into an aviation rating. Part of the Aviation Fundamentals Course is directing aircraft. I told my instructor that I had experience in doing that, and he mostly just chuckled. I went to the end of the line. After the rest of the class had the opportunity to garner chuckles and guffaws, I strutted my stuff, to the surprise and amazement of my classmates, and the three instructors. I showed them how good I was.

Many moons later, after restarting my active CAP participation, I went to a SAREX, and worked on qualifying as a Flight Line Marshaller. Again, i voiced my experience, and was again asked to show my proficiency. There was less surprise and amazement, but I got the job done, and received my qualification.

Just do it. It's good practice.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 26, 2011, 10:09:03 PM
And Joe, I dont think any of the above posters, nor myself need you apologizing for us.

I would expect you to do the same for me when I am truly out of line.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

mclarke

I have not, although I have looked at the similarities. Although a lot of people here feel that we are not combat oriented (which we are not), so it should not matter, we are an Air Force Axillary, and in such, it is nice to feel a part of our parenting organization.

Fact is, I look back and say to myself "I did this in the Army", and it is nice to see we are sometimes at the same level as the combative branches. On other words, we are on top of our game, not getting 2nd rate training from some "I bought a beret off ebay" wanna be instructor. I would encourage you to look at the equivalent trainings and compare them closely. Most of our training is based off military training. Matter of fact, I believe it was Civil Air Patrol who first contributed to the founding of Pararescue.

Hawk200

Short answer: No.

Overall, I don't think anyone has ever bothered. I don't think it's a bad idea, but what about getting the proof from the Army side? It probably would just be easier to do it again. You know how the military can red tape people to death.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 15, 2011, 02:08:52 AM

Short answer: No.

Overall, I don't think anyone has ever bothered. I don't think it's a bad idea, but what about getting the proof from the Army side? It probably would just be easier to do it again. You know how the military can red tape people to death.
Yes, see my earlier post. Check with your recruiter, if he is a good recruiter he will go through your SQTRs so that neither of you have to go through the hassle of teaching and retesting for the Prebasic Training Task List. Quite a bit in CAP can transfer to "credit" for the Army, however I don't know if USAF USMC or USN acknowledge the same kind of achievements that the Army does. To the Army, if you already know the information, they don't need to train you in it because you probably already know everything you will be taught in basic and they can start training you on the advanced stuff and you be be more valuable sooner.