CAP and the Salvation Army

Started by RiverAux, March 22, 2011, 03:01:52 AM

RiverAux

When we talk about Disaster Relief missions, and in particular ground operations, we almost invariably bring up the Red Cross.  Every once in a while it is noted that the CAP-RC Memorandum of Understanding expired almost a decade ago.

But, I recently noticed that CAP and the Salvation Army re-did our MOU with them in 2010.  And among the actions that CAP members can do under this MOU are:
1.  Emergency transportation of medical supplies and personnel
2.  communications support to SA operations
3.  Ground transportation (vehicles and drivers) in support of SA operations.
4.  Personnel to staff SA shelters, feeding units, supply operations, and other disaster activities.

In return SA may feed CAP members involved in SA support, use of SA disaster vehicles when needed and available, and other assistance within the ability of SA.

These operations can be done as AFAM (if the AF is asked by the controlling agency to task CAP with SA support) or SA funded missions. 

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/SALVATION_ARMY_3B40305FEA5E4.pdf

Has anyone conducted any operations like this for the Salvation Army?  Has anyone done any coordination with their local Salvation Army to make them aware of this option?  Anyone taken any of their disaster relief classes? http://disaster.salvationarmyusa.org/training/

Just wondering as this seems to open up a lot of options that aren't really available to us via the Red Cross anymore.

ammotrucker

FLWG has in the past worked with SA.  We routinely during the time of the Haiti Earthquake supplied SA with members that would help with rice and bean food bagging that would be shipped to Haiti for about 2 months.

We in turn has have requested that SA supply, food services for a few different DR training events, and recieved SA equipment kitchen, freezers, generators, and housing units for different events.  They would also supply any water and cotting we would need for billeting when asked.

Would you say this is a solid working relationship? I would say no.  But, I believe it is a solid start. 

We have discussed with SA supporting there Comms efforts, but at this time we have not been called and no other talks have transpired.
RG Little, Capt

a2capt

Last year I was at a SAREX base at BFL and the SA was running the food service, keeping the base staff fueled with their mobile canteen truck.