Care of Navy Blue BDUs

Started by BradM, March 21, 2011, 09:35:06 PM

BradM

Hello everyone, I just wore my Navy Blue BDUs this weekend for the first time. The label says you can wash it in warm water and even dry it in a dryer at low heat. But in my experience it won't stay as dark blue and look as good if you put it in the dryer. So, how would you take care of them to keep them unfaded and not wrinkled? Take them to the dry cleaners? Or wash them in cold water and let them hang dry? Would you iron them at home? Thank you!

BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

indygreg

I wash mine in cold water, and then hang dry.  I've had them a year, and no noticeable fading.

vento

I actually put mine (Propper brand) in the dryer hoping to get the more "weathered" effect. So far, I don't see any changes to it... It still looks new.

BradM

Quote from: indygreg on March 21, 2011, 09:38:56 PM
I wash mine in cold water, and then hang dry.  I've had them a year, and no noticeable fading.

They don't need any ironing for the flat areas to stay flat?
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Hawk200

I would also suggest washing them inside out. Washers also "beat" the fabric to remove dirt, and it can remove dye. If you have a stain, use a pretreat on the spot, but try to wash them inside out every time.

If you dry them inside out, it will also soften the insides, make them a little more comfortable.

BradM

Thank you I'll do that. Wash them inside out in cold water. Pre-treat any stains, let them hang dry. I don't want to use a dryer on dark colors.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

SarDragon

Warm wash, cold rinse, medium heat in the dryer. No fading. Mine are Propper brand, from the Bookstore. They get worn and washed three or four times a year.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

Brad, your collars are looking a little bare.   :o

SarDragon

Quote from: EMT-83 on March 21, 2011, 11:48:51 PM

And black t-shirts are now authorized, too. They avoid the white-tail deer look.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

I wash mine in warm water, and only dry for 25 minutes.  This leaves them damp but not so wet that they take forever and a day to dry.

Sapper168

I wash mine in cold water, then dry in the dryer on low heat.  Hang them then before wearing I iron them, especially the collar and pockets. I also make sure to press a crease on the sleeves and pants.  Thats it, no fabric softener or starch used.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

BradM

I know, I just became a 2nd Lt on 2/16/11, and since I'm a Finance Officer with a 2 year AA degree and with more than 3 years experience I'm trying to see if I can go to 1st Lt. Our Legal Officer joined with me last summer and he started off as a Captain. Once I find out whether I can be a 1st Lt or have to stay a 2nd Lt for a year I'll have my collar grade sewn on.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

BradM

Quote from: SarDragon on March 21, 2011, 11:51:44 PM

And black t-shirts are now authorized, too. They avoid the white-tail deer look.

Thats good to know! I was asked last Saturday if I was in the Navy :) because I was the only one in Navy Blue while everyone else was in woodland. I pointed to my tape above my left pocket and said "No, I'm in the Civil Air Patrol..." ;) We were helping out the local non-profit group in San Dimas CA who were raising funds to build a Veterans Memorial for all the veterans that live/lived in San Dimas.

http://www.sandimasheroes.org/

Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

BradM

Quote from: cap235629 on March 22, 2011, 12:58:02 AM
where are Bill and Ted?

What are their last names? If my memory is right we had 5 Seniors at this event. 3 of them including me joined since the middle of last summer.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Persona non grata

Excellent(no pun intended)activity........Good show :clap:
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

cap235629

Quote from: BradM on March 22, 2011, 01:02:41 AM
where are Bill and Ted?

What are their last names? If my memory is right we had 5 Seniors at this event. 3 of them including me joined since the middle of last summer.

Bill S, Preston, Esq.
and
Theodore "Ted" Logan.  They graduated from San Dimas High School in 1989
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

a2capt

Looks like it was an excellent and adventurous day... ;)

jimmydeanno

where are Bill and Ted?

I saw San Demis and thought the same thing  ;D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Camas

Quote from: BradM on March 22, 2011, 12:46:41 AM
I know, I just became a 2nd Lt on 2/16/11, and since I'm a Finance Officer with a 2 year AA degree and with more than 3 years experience I'm trying to see if I can go to 1st Lt. Once I find out whether I can be a 1st Lt or have to stay a 2nd Lt for a year I'll have my collar grade sewn on.
Looks like you're certainly eligible. As long as you're making a significant contribution to the success of your unit I'd say you're good to go. Good luck! Back to topic!