New membership requirement: Internet / Email Access

Started by N Harmon, March 14, 2011, 01:16:41 PM

MSG Mac

Allegedly every unit in CAP has been issued a laptop computer and CAP has agreed to pay for internet access for units that don't already have it in their meeting places. So there shouldn't be any major problem with computer access.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

N Harmon

Quote from: tsrup on March 14, 2011, 06:58:45 PM
Will I go so far as to say that it is a de facto regulation?  I'm not sure,

By order of the National Commander, all members must complete the Introduction to CAP Safety for New Members by the end of this month. The only way to complete this course is through eServices. In my wing, units without 100% of their members completing this course by the suspense date will be placed on freeze: no award/promotions processed, no wing banker payments, etc.

So what choice will commanders have in dealing with members who simply will not complete the training? Get rid of them? Transfer them to the wing inactive unit?

That seems to make internet / email access a de facto requirement of membership to me.

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 14, 2011, 08:03:21 PMAllegedly every unit in CAP has been issued a laptop computer and CAP has agreed to pay for internet access for units that don't already have it in their meeting places. So there shouldn't be any major problem with computer access.

I do believe every CAP unit has been issued a laptop computer, and I do believe you can get a dial-up internet access account through Earthlink for free. However, not all meeting places have telephone lines.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

jimmydeanno

Additionally, with the advent of smartphones, units can even get one of their members to download PDAnet and have free tethering of their phone as a wireless modem.  The nifty thing is that you can just keep and run the PDAnet desktop .exe on your phone, and run it from whatever computer you plug into, so you don't have to carry a thumb-drive around, etc.

All you need is cell phone reception, a phone that can run PDAnet and your computer.  No network infrastructure is required in the building, no routers, no cables, no recurring access bills, etc.

On my HTC Incredible, I get

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jimmydeanno

Quote from: N Harmon on March 14, 2011, 08:09:42 PM
...no wing banker payments

That sounds pretty irresponsible to me...  ::)

"We aren't going to pay your lease because you have 1 member who did not complete the safety requirement."

"I'm sorry, we won't process your $500.00 personal reimbursement because you have a 12 year old that didn't do this course in your unit."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

a2capt

That whole thing with the CAP Intro to Safety mandate, with the "threats" they carry are just absurd.

We are a volunteer organization. We have no power over our members other than to say "please". If they don't do the thing online, they're probably not participating in much anyway, if anything. To hold everyone else of a functioning, productive unit hostage is just pathetic.

It would be one thing if this were the RM, and your unit is not in compliance. The mandate here does not fit the environment. We are not in control of our membership 24/7.

Likewise, it does not come out and say "Internet (access) Required", but it might as well be.

ßτε

Cadets do not need to do the Intro to Safety online. The course can be given in classroom form, and there is a written quiz available to use. The CP staff can then enter the completion into eServices.

Senior Members must complete it online, as far as I can tell.

RADIOMAN015

CAP's use of computers is the most cost effective and efficient way to get information to the membership.  As far as training goes though, I see no reason why it can't be presented to the members in a power point format and certified by the presenter.  Also if a quiz was involved too bad there wasn't a way to download the quiz than ftp in back up after everyone had taken it.

HOWEVER, the entire world of business and government is using computers/internet extensively for providing accurate, up to date information.  Anyone who lacks basic computer knowledge is at a severe disadvantage for higher education as well as employment.   As an organization we do need to encourage EVERYONE to get computer proficient in our organization.

At this point IF I have any senior member interested in es/radio communications support (mro etc) that doesn't have a cellphone and computer internet/email address, I'm doing a real slow roll on even training them because you have to be accessible for alert notification.   

BTW if you don't have computers or access at your squadron there may be grant money available in your local community so look around a bit.
RM

EMT-83

Quote from: N Harmon on March 14, 2011, 08:09:42 PMIn my wing, units without 100% of their members completing this course by the suspense date will be placed on freeze: no award/promotions processed, no wing banker payments, etc.

Can you post a copy of that memo?

[Edit for typo]

Slim

Quote from: N Harmon on March 14, 2011, 08:09:42 PM
In my wing, units without 100% of their members completing this course by the suspense date will be placed on freeze: no award/promotions processed, no wing banker payments, etc.

You got a cite for that?  The only place I've seen that stated is concerning annual reports.

Slim

N Harmon

Quote from: Slim on March 15, 2011, 03:03:19 AM
You got a cite for that?  The only place I've seen that stated is concerning annual reports.

The e-mail sent out by the Wing CC included a spreadsheet of units and the status of their annual reports. This spreadsheet included "CAP Basic Safety Training". Technically, I guess you could say that isn't a report, but the intent seems to have the annual reports include compliance with the Safety course.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

peter rabbit

QuoteSo what choice will commanders have in dealing with members who simply will not complete the training? Get rid of them? Transfer them to the wing inactive unit?

For cadets, yes - transfer to the wing's inactive unit. For seniors, transfer to the inactive unit or give them the option of being a Patron member just like when they don't complete the required Equal Opportunity training.

tatumrd

I am neutral about the matter. Personally i don't agree with the new online testing. I guess i would now be considered old school since i did all my testing at the squadron. But getting back on topic i do not have internet at my house. I realize its 2011 and yes i own decent computers but we cannot afford internet. Its just to much money. I have a library a few miles away that has a ton of computers that are free to use (its where i am now). but forcing cadets to have internet/email is just a bad idea
C/Lt Col Ryan Tatum

jimmydeanno

Quote from: tatumrd on March 15, 2011, 04:33:04 PM
I am neutral about the matter. Personally i don't agree with the new online testing. I guess i would now be considered old school since i did all my testing at the squadron. But getting back on topic i do not have internet at my house. I realize its 2011 and yes i own decent computers but we cannot afford internet. Its just to much money. I have a library a few miles away that has a ton of computers that are free to use (its where i am now). but forcing cadets to have internet/email is just a bad idea

FYI, Juno offers 10 hours of free internet access per month.  It's dial-up, and it's only 10 hours - but it could be better than nothing, eh?

http://www.juno.com/start/landing.do?page=www/free/index

Eclipse

We can't dictate how members stay connected, only that they are.  If they library works, then it works.  No problem.  There is also Starbucks,
Panera, McDonald's, and a host of other places that offer free internet access.  The reality is that anyone with $50 and initiative can obtain
a notebook computer that is a couple years old, but more than capable of basic internet access as well as other uses.

This is not the "good old days" (which, BTW, never were), where lots of members have radios, people answer their home phones, and USPS is an effective means of communication.

At our current levels of staff, as well as member attention span, they only way to stay in contact with members and assure they have the information they need for success is vis the internet and email.

Also, life is choice - I don't have cable TV, but many members who would say they don't have internet would not consider life without cable, and in most places where human beings live in even small groups, basic DSL can be had for under $20 a month.  Granted, as things are today, $20 a month
may well be a financial burden on some members, but there is also the elephant in the room of whether someone with that level of financial challenge
can really be an asset to CAP, and whether CAP is a good idea for them.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 15, 2011, 04:45:06 PM
Quote from: tatumrd on March 15, 2011, 04:33:04 PM

FYI, Juno offers 10 hours of free internet access per month.  It's dial-up, and it's only 10 hours - but it could be better than nothing, eh?

http://www.juno.com/start/landing.do?page=www/free/index
Nice tip...that's awesome