Second Lieutenant insignia

Started by DWilkins, February 22, 2011, 03:39:30 AM

DWilkins

Seems like a silly question, but I just received my 2nd Lt insignias from Vanguard.  Was expecting something a little more user friendly then the 3" square cloth.  I've looked around but can't find anything about what the size is supposed to be went attached to BDU collar.  Any advice?

coudano

You want a square border around the circle that is 1/8" from the edge of the white to the straight edge of the blue square.  This is accomplished by folding the blue behind; you'll want to iron it down and get a good sharp crease, then sew right through.  You might have to cut some of the fabric from behind, but don't cut too much or you won't be able to sew through it.

Also the 1" from the front of the collar is measured to the edge of the silver circle, not to the edge of the blue square.

It'll probably be pretty rough the first try, but you'll get better at it with practice.

Good luck!

*EDIT:  I guess I assumed C/2d Lt when I read that...  Same goes for the butter bar... except of course you'll wind up with a rectangle instead of a square...

SarDragon

The cloth should be trimmed (not too closely) and folded so that the resulting blue border is 1/8" all the way around the gold bar.

This information is located in CAPM 39-1.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret