GPS Nav/Comm opinions

Started by jeders, February 20, 2011, 12:30:48 AM

jeders

My dad and I are currently looking at putting a GPS system into his Piper Dakota. Currently the aircraft has a LORAN nav system (we haven't flown it in over a decade). Anyway, we're looking at a Garmin 430W or 530W simply because that's what the FBO avionics shop sells. I want to get some opinions from the pilots who use the systems somewhat regularly. What works, what are the pros and cons, etc?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

FW

If you're not going to install an MFD, the Garmin 530W is probably better than the 430W.  Both are great units however and, they both can be connected to auto pilots, mfds, pfds, nexrad, etc easily.
Personally, I think Garmin is the standard for all GPS units at this time.

FastAttack

Flying Pig

Id grab the 530.  I have a G696.  Although not "mounted" in the aircraft, I saw a plane that had the 696 actually mounted in the panel.  Looked pretty nice. No way you could ever have it coupled to an auto pilot or anything, but it has all of your charts, weather, etc.  And if course, no comms or nav.

vento

If money is not an issue, then definitely go with the 530W. After all there is a huge price difference between the two.
Typical Garmin 430W for experimental aircraft cost around $8K, while the certified version is over $10K. For the typical Garmin 530W for the experimental aircraft cost around $12K and the certified version over $14K. Regardless of the version you buy (experimental or certified), you will be talking about $4k difference for your pockets.

jeders

I won't say that money isn't an issue, but we don't want to spend a bunch of money on one thing and then realize we should have gone with something else. The 430 seems to be sufficient for us, except that the screen is so small that it would likely be difficult for me to use, let alone my dad. So the larger screen on the 530 is a plus.

Just because the FBO is trying to sell us the 430 doesn't mean we're just limited to that. If there are other units out there aside from the 530/430 I'd love to hear about those too.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse