Main Menu

Camping

Started by ElectricPenguin, February 17, 2011, 11:07:15 PM

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: Eclipse on February 18, 2011, 02:01:06 AM
Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 18, 2011, 01:52:49 AM
I keep thinking encampment will be like camp curry. Camp curry was terrable, NCOs didn't even know how to act.
It won't be by a long shot.  "Camp Curry" isn't even a recognized part of the cadet program curriculum.  It is just something local
units or wings do on their own recognizance with no over sight or specific expectations.

Encampments may not be the same across wings, but at their core they have a prescribed curriculum scope, and are overseen
by the State Director in each wing to insure compliance.

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 18, 2011, 01:52:49 AM
But Back to where we where, I don't know what squadron YOU are from, but I have known other squadrons including my own to go on a battleship (I think it was battleship texas, im not sure which one...) for a day and sleep overnight. THAT would be considered fun, and if cadets coulden't have extra events, then how come there is a reg for paintball?
Proving my posture a few threads ago (or maybe on CS?) that many cadets saw the word "paintball", and dropped 52-16 to make calls to plan games without reading the rest of the text.

Paintball is considered an HAA, and must be within a structured environment and approved by the wing CC.  Based on my personal experience with Wing CC's, most are never going to approve it as a matter of course.  There is also an ICL in place until the end of March which continues the full prohibition
until NHQ can provide further guidance on how and when paintball can be played.

Bottom line, you won't likely ever be able to plan a random game within just your local unit.

Well ok, what about the battleship??? Now think of that..., only in a national park in a tent.

ElectricPenguin

Eclipse, if all we have to do is get something authorised, then there isn't a problem. We can do that, we can work ahead. For those who refuse to want anything to do with it, then they dont have to attend. Period. I have seen many other events where cadets can interact with each other without having to move tables and chairs and fill out SQTRs, so you can't say they don't exist.

Eclipse

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 18, 2011, 02:06:21 AM
Well ok, what about the battleship??? Now think of that..., only in a national park in a tent.

The battleship sounds like a fun activity and there's nothing wrong with that, same goes for camping in a national park, the issue becomes
when you want to discard CAP regs about activities, uniforms, etc.

There is also the non-trivial issue of what, exactly, you expect to do while camping, with at least some of the "normal" activities of family camping being an issue for CAP regs or common sense.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 18, 2011, 02:21:55 AM
Eclipse, if all we have to do is get something authorised, then there isn't a problem. We can do that, we can work ahead. For those who refuse to want anything to do with it, then they dont have to attend. Period. I have seen many other events where cadets can interact with each other without having to move tables and chairs and fill out SQTRs, so you can't say they don't exist.

First, in your area, I'm not the one you have to convince, but with 11 years in, most of it involving cadets as a commander on one level or another, I can tell you that most things that start out as "more fun, less CAP' result in "less fun" for everyone.

In regards to moving furniture, I literally have no idea what you're talking about.

"That Others May Zoom"

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: Eclipse on February 18, 2011, 02:21:55 AM
Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 18, 2011, 02:06:21 AM

The battleship sounds like a fun activity and there's nothing wrong with that, same goes for camping in a national park, the issue becomes
when you want to discard CAP regs about activities, uniforms, etc.

There is also the non-trivial issue of what, exactly, you expect to do while camping, with at least some of the "normal" activities of family camping being an issue for CAP regs or common sense.

Well, I shoulden't of said 'non cap activity'. I wasn't thinking about the downfall of that.

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: Eclipse on February 18, 2011, 02:23:27 AM
Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 18, 2011, 02:21:55 AM

First, in your area, I'm not the one to convince, second, in regards to moving furniture, I literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Hahaha, well it was more of a joke. Cadets always have to move chairs and tables and such. You would know, if you always had to move them.