NCC McMinnville V.S. Wright Patterson

Started by FFalcon16, February 11, 2011, 05:27:56 PM

FFalcon16

I was wondering if anyone who has been to NCC at Wright Pat, OH and McMinnville, OR  can compare their experiences with both places.  I went to NCC last year in McMinnville and really loved the facilities and the schedule that Linfield College offered. I hope to go to NCC again this year and would like to know if Wright Patterson is going to be as good (facilities wise).

A big thank you to those who organized the event last year! It couldn't have been any better  :clap:
CHRISTOPHER DONOHOE, C/Capt
Group 5 CAC Vice-Chairman
PCR Drill Team Member
Leadership Officer
Butte Co. Composite Sq. 95

SKI304

Having been to NCC at both venues, I can truthfully say Wright Patt is the better deal, and that's not just because I'm an Ohioan.

McMinnville was really nice.  The Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum was great and we seemed to have a lot of support from the people at Evergreen and Linfield College.  However there were some big disadvantages, the main one being the geographic location.  Nearly every team had to fly in, and then it was an hour or so drive from Portland.  Shipping cadets and equipment that far is a real financial drain and puts a large logistical burden on the NCC staff.  Additionally, the dorms weren't the best suited places for an event like NCC.  Each building was different, but the one we were in only had two showers, three toilets, and I think five sinks for each floor of around 20+ cadets and seniors.  Getting ready in time for Inspection was tough.  Additionally once there we were entirely dependent on the staff and public transit to shuttle us to and from venues, and opportunities to make supply runs were difficult.

Wright Patterson is probably the best compromise of a location we can get.  Not knowing the details or schedule for this year, I'm just going to go from experience.  Local event venues have changed each year, so I can't speak with certainty with what to expect.  Dorms have always been at the Wright State University Honors Dorms.  Even if they go with the other dorms on campus, they are all designed with two rooms sharing a toilet and shower room and individual sinks in each bed room.  Each floor has RA rooms as well with private bathroom facilities.  The campus is much more modern and the University has some great facilities that have been used in the past.  We also have the wow factor of the Air Force Museum and tours have always been scheduled in for that.  Best of all, Wright Patt is much more geographically centered to the point that probably half the teams could drive in.  Makes the transportation logistics much better on the staff and saves a ton in nationally funded airfare.  I know I for one will be glad to make supply runs to Meijer's and go for team meals at Quaker Steak and Lube. ;D  Vehicle wise, in the past, nearly all of OHWG's vans are tasked with NCC support and I believe Indiana and Kentucky supply some as well.  Thankfully our encampment isn't the same week this year, because 2008 was a transportation nightmare.

Looking at money and convenience, I say Wright Patterson is the winner hands down.
BILL HRINKO, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Youngstown ARS Composite Squadron

a2capt

According to the site it's not at WP this time, but a nearby university. Of course, it's close enough. So...