Multi-Service -or- Credit Card

Started by Flying Pig, February 04, 2011, 05:39:39 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on February 05, 2011, 05:07:10 AM
Last time I looked all CAP vehicles & aircraft are owned by the wing anyways (who can reassign at will) so it stands to reason they should be handling the expenses and not the local unit  -- BUT when required back bill the unit for appropriate expenses.

The only expenses any unit should be incurring are for fuel used by that unit for non-reimbursable expenses.  All major mechanical maintenance, and even most consumables like oil and wipers, at least for the last few years, have been paid for by the USAF.

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

Rob: The wing CC prior to the present one had the credit cards in hand, ready to issue to the holders of the aircraft and vehicles.  Just as the current CC came into office, there was some glitch about the cards(I can't remember what) and they all went into the circular file.  The current CC has done absolutely nothing about working the Credit Card issue: you might email him and ask him.  Of course, he hasn't done much about anything else having to do with operations, either.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Al Sayre

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 04, 2011, 10:14:34 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on February 04, 2011, 09:26:10 PM
So next time you land after a AFAM call up the Wing Commander and tell him his airplane is out of gas and you can't afford to front the Air Force $200 to fill it up.  If all the MP's start doing that they'll figure it out pretty quick.   >:D

I can see not putting them in van's where they can be stolen or misused fairly easily, but I can't see asking the MP's and/aircrews to pay for mission fuel and then pray for reimbursement.  At very least issue the cards to the IC's so they can take care of it.  JMHO

So GTLs are still stuck paying $80 to fill the 15pax because they are more likely to abuse the cards than the pilots? Sounds a bit holier than thou to me.
Not holier than thou, just easier to have stolen & misused.  A lot of different people use the vans, they are generally parked in an unsecure location and anyone with a slim jim can get the credit card with little trouble if it's left in the van.  If it's not in the van, it's useless to everyone but the man with the card, and you are right back where you started. Most auto gas cards are billed monthly, so it may be soome time before anyone even notices that it's gone.   With the aircraft, they are generally stored in a fairly secure location, hanger or flight line where strangers screwing with an airplane are generally noticed, and the card is only good for airplane fuel.  In my wing we get the bill by tail number every week, and users are required to fax in the receipts within 24 hours of using the card.  cuts way down on the likelyhood of theft or misuse...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

ol'fido

I work for the state of Illinois. I will pause now while everyone stops laughing......OK....The state Department of Corrections has the following system. Unless a vehicle is assigned to a particular person, the vehicle keys and a envelope containing a gas card(Wright Express currently), a Central Management Services Maintenance Card, a toll pass, insurance card, and vehicle inspection/discrepancy sheet are stored at the institution. You sign out the vehicle in the log at the institution and then you are issued the packet and keys. On the packet envelope is space for your name, date out, date in, begin mileage, end mileage, destination/reason and a rate of 1,2,3,4. If you rate a 4 it is driveable, 1 is deadlined under all circumstance and 2,3 allow the vehicle to be driven under limited conditions.

Not saying this could work for CAP but it is one system that is used.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

a2capt

The issue with CAWG and credit cards for aircraft was they were Air BP cards. I still have only seen one Air BP pump in California, and that was at VNY. Gee, go figure. Wing HQ is really close to that. 

bosshawk

They were, in fact, Air BP cards and almost all of the airfields in this part of CA are Air BP dealers.  Of course, this was over four years ago: should have been sufficient time to negotiate with a multi-service card company!!!!!!!!  Doing nothing is usually easier than doing something.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

I  fly all over CA and rarely see Air BP.  Although there is one at Hemet.  Chevron wouldnt be a bad deal, but Multi Service seems to be where I can get gas just about anywhere.  Even Chevron and Air BP vendors will take the multi service inside the FBO, it just wont work if you slide your card at the pump.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on February 05, 2011, 05:43:19 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on February 05, 2011, 05:07:10 AM
Last time I looked all CAP vehicles & aircraft are owned by the wing anyways (who can reassign at will) so it stands to reason they should be handling the expenses and not the local unit  -- BUT when required back bill the unit for appropriate expenses.

The only expenses any unit should be incurring are for fuel used by that unit for non-reimbursable expenses.  All major mechanical maintenance, and even most consumables like oil and wipers, at least for the last few years, have been paid for by the USAF.
The member bringing the vehicle for servicing has to pay for it and than put in for reimbursement.   Lots of unnecessary paperwork (and more cost to the unit to copy things, mail it in, etc, etc, etc,) to keep the wing administrator fully employed.  There's much easier ways to do things.   I doubt that when the American Red Cross volunteer is gasing up the response van that they are paying out of pocket for anything ???

Lets face it CAP overall needs to improve their respect for volunteers overall (when compared with other volunteer organizations) >:(
RM 

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on February 06, 2011, 05:37:01 PMThe member bringing the vehicle for servicing has to pay for it and than put in for reimbursement.   Lots of unnecessary paperwork (and more cost to the unit to copy things, mail it in, etc, etc, etc,) to keep the wing administrator fully employed.  There's much easier ways to do things.   I doubt that when the American Red Cross volunteer is gasing up the response van that they are paying out of pocket for anything ?

That is wing specific.

My wing handles everything but non-emergencies via direct payments, and again no one is forced to incur these costs.

"That Others May Zoom"