Blue Flight Jacket with CAP Distinctive Uniforms

Started by NC Hokie, January 28, 2011, 05:13:05 AM

NC Hokie

I'm probably going to regret this, but...

CAPM 39-1 authorizes a "dark blue flight jacket" for wear with the CAP distinctive uniforms.  I have my eye on a navy blue MA-1 on eBay, but need some info before pulling the trigger.

Can this jacket be worn WITHOUT any insignia with the CAP distinctive uniforms?  Also, have there been any ICLs, NB actions, etc. affecting this jacket?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

vento

I always understood that Any Civilian outergarmet is authorized. The blue flight jacket without insignia falls into that category even though a lot of CT members will argue otherwise.  :angel:

Eclipse

Quote from: vento on January 28, 2011, 05:27:44 AM
I always understood that Any Civilian outergarmet is authorized. The blue flight jacket without insignia falls into that category even though a lot of CT members will argue otherwise.

I would agree with that.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

How about a green L-2B with no insignia or patches? Civilian clothing? Or not?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on January 28, 2011, 05:32:19 AM

Not to me, since it is identified as a part of the USAF-style uniform, that would be considered "mixing parts".

"That Others May Zoom"

RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2011, 05:29:44 AM
Quote from: vento on January 28, 2011, 05:27:44 AM
I always understood that Any Civilian outergarmet is authorized. The blue flight jacket without insignia falls into that category even though a lot of CT members will argue otherwise.

I would agree with that.
The way the regulation currently reads you can wear the dark blue flight jacket with all of the patches as an actual uniform item, or wear it with no patches at all as a civillain jacket.

Whether an insignia free sage green jacket is technically authorized or not I would avoid it as it will just give you a headache.

SarDragon

The jacket is not quite the same style as pictured, and was supplanted by a later version around 1970. The MA-1 and derivatives went away in the mid-to-late '80s. How is it still a uniform item?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mustang

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2011, 05:42:42 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 28, 2011, 05:32:19 AM

Not to me, since it is identified as a part of the USAF-style uniform, that would be considered "mixing parts".
Negative; that jacket is no longer part of any USAF-style anything, it is strictly a civilian jacket. Same with the MA-1.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Eclipse

Quote from: Mustang on January 28, 2011, 08:51:05 AMNegative; that jacket is no longer part of any USAF-style anything, it is strictly a civilian jacket. Same with the MA-1.

It still is for us...

"That Others May Zoom"

researchdoc

I thought I had it right in my head due to a previous thread.....but now not so sure....

Is the blue flight jacket WITH ALL GRADE INSIGNIA AND PATCHES, authorized for wear with the WHITE AVIATOR AND THE GOLF SHIRT distinctive uniforms? 

Sorry for the redundant question.. but it is very confusing in the regs to me.... and the answers on the forums I have read seem to contradict themselves....
Public Affairs Officer NC-022
22nd v2.0 Podcast:  http://burlcapcast.net.tf
NC-022 Website:  http://doubledeuces.org

MSgt Van

This from 39-1:

CHAPTER 4 – CAP DISTINCTIVE UNIFORMS
4-1. General. Cadet members are authorized to wear the CAP utility uniform, field uniform, and blazer
combinations as desired. All senior members, including those who do not meet the standards of wear for an
Air Force style uniform for reasons of grooming or weight standards, may wear any of the CAP distinctive
uniform combinations described in this chapter. Uniforms must be clean, neat and correct in design and
specification, fitted properly, pressed, and in good condition (that is not frayed, worn out, torn, faded,
patched, and so forth). Uniform items are to be kept zipped, snapped, or buttoned. Shoes are to be shined
and in good repair. Metallic insignia, badges and other devices, must also be maintained in the proper luster
and condition. Appropriate civilian outerwear is authorized with these combinations including the light blue
windbreaker with the CAP seal embroidered on the right breast and the dark blue flight jacket.

Mustang

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2011, 03:51:39 PM
Quote from: Mustang on January 28, 2011, 08:51:05 AMNegative; that jacket is no longer part of any USAF-style anything, it is strictly a civilian jacket. Same with the MA-1.

It still is for us...

Then, by definition, it is CAP-distinctive.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

SarDragon

For the OP, I just read the 39-1, and it appears that insignia and patches are not required on the blue flight jacket.

Regarding the MA-1, since it is specifically called out in the reg, I'll give you that one - it's an AF-style uniform item.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NC Hokie

This hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.  ;D

It's good to know that my plan to buy a blue MA-1 for civilian and CAP wear is permissible. Here's hoping the regs don't change now that I've spent the money!
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Mustang

Btw, Alpha also makes a dark blue version of the CWU-45/P, the current issue flight jacket:

Note that Alpha has a couple of different versions of "dark blue"; they call the one you want "replica blue" or "rep blue".

DKruse

Quote from: Mustang on January 29, 2011, 09:59:39 AM
Btw, Alpha also makes a dark blue version of the CWU-45/P, the current issue flight jacket:

That's one thing I've been curious about.  39-1 says you can wear the green CWU-45 in place of the green MA-1, but I haven't seen the same thing said for the blue jacket.  Are we allowed to wear this style of blue jacket with rank and insignia?

I'm making the assumption that this jacket can be worn as civilian outerwear without rank and insignia.
Dalen Kruse, Capt., CAP
St. Croix Composite Squadron
NCR-MN-122

Ad hadem cum gloria. Faciamus operum.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: DKruse on January 29, 2011, 03:13:41 PM
That's one thing I've been curious about.  39-1 says you can wear the green CWU-45 in place of the green MA-1, but I haven't seen the same thing said for the blue jacket.  Are we allowed to wear this style of blue jacket with rank and insignia?

Another case where 39-1 is clear as mud.

If, by "blue flight jacket" it only means the MA-1 cut, it should say so.

The L2-B is almost identical except summer weight with epaulettes.

It can be done...like specifying which leather jacket is authorised for us.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

FWIW, my green L-2B is an earlier version, sand the pocket flaps.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BradM

BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Eclipse

Quote from: BradM on February 03, 2011, 08:33:34 PM
Who is Alpha? do they have a website?

Alpha Industries.  http://www.alphaindustries.com/

They manufacture knockoff "military inspired fashion" and equipment.

"That Others May Zoom"