ES Help Request from Members in NY, NJ or CT

Started by jpizzo127, January 24, 2011, 04:30:16 PM

jpizzo127

This is something which I would be happy to reciprocate when asked.

My squadron is conducting scanner proficiency training on 5 Feb from 0900-1500 Local.

Based on Long Island, we're limited in where we can place targets and ELTs due to Airspace restrictions.

I am hoping someone from another squadron within a reasonable distance from Long Island, or even on Long Island would volunteer to lay out either aircraft "Wreckage" (A Blue Tarp if you don't have anything that simulates wreckage) and an ELT beacon. (121.5 or 406 would be fine.)

If your interested, please reply to this thread with approx Lat Long of target area.

All you would need to do is lay out the target by 0930 and pick it up at 1500.

Thanks in advance.
JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

a2capt

I should presume you mean a practice beacon, transmitting on 121.775, or 406.025 for that hardware.

Just because "they" are not monitoring it anymore does not mean the frequency is fair game.

I know, you didn't say that you were, but the post could be open to speculation.

jpizzo127

Ah, right, nice catch.

Yes, Of course, I mean someone who has access to a training beacon. We cannot transmit on 121.5 or 406 of course.

If no one has a beacon, we could just search for physcial wreckage or a blue tarp folded into a Triangle pattern.

JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

a2capt

From search altitude, these 'Harbor Freight' 182's look pretty decent.

http://17500mph.com/photos-3?g2_itemId=2226

They're white tarp that is cut to scale size/shape like a C182.

Except toward the end of the day, the wind scattered the second one in the afternoon, after it was relocated from the spot near the R/C aircraft. The R/C folks knew we were there, and they stayed low, our briefing said do not go  below 800 AGL w/o positive communication from the ground team on site, who were coordinating with the R/C operations if needed. Most of the time it's a non-issue, they hardly go more than 100-150 ft., but knew not to that day when our aircraft were in the area.