Silver Braid On the Flight Cap

Started by DiNardo907, January 15, 2011, 04:21:34 PM

HGjunkie

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 17, 2011, 12:33:32 AM
Only the Chief of Staff of the Air Force wears 'farts and darts' around the crown as well as on the visor.

Ah, the Supercell Thunderstorm.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

spacecommand

Almost happened to my friend, he was about to buy one and the lady quickly pointed out  "that's for a general".

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 17, 2011, 12:17:53 AM
The point is that Phall has evolved from positive CAP force, to CAPTALK troll making passing remarks with little relevant substance and for the effect of almost annoyance.  I am tempted to ignore the comments unless he initiates or makes some truly important comment.

The greater point is that the opinions of the membership have merit for what they are and I can post mine here despite curmudgeons like this fellow.

Nice personal attack there, especially coming from someone who lacks the experience that Mr. Hall has.

The regs are the regs, regardless of their defects, real and perceived. We follow them until they're fixed.

If the 39-1 says that non-officer senior members are to wear the enlisted flight cap, so be it. They are, by definition, not officers. That would be little different than letting a C/B wear the cadet officer cap because he has no grade/rank.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on January 17, 2011, 03:59:25 AM
The point is that Phall has evolved from positive CAP force, to CAPTALK troll making passing remarks with little relevant substance and for the effect of almost annoyance.  I am tempted to ignore the comments unless he initiates or makes some truly important comment.

The greater point is that the opinions of the membership have merit for what they are and I can post mine here despite curmudgeons like this fellow.

Nice personal attack there, especially coming from someone who lacks the experience that Mr. Hall has.

The regs are the regs, regardless of their defects, real and perceived. We follow them until they're fixed.

If the 39-1 says that non-officer senior members are to wear the enlisted flight cap, so be it. They are, by definition, not officers. That would be little different than letting a C/B wear the cadet officer cap because he has no grade/rank.

No one said there was any circumnavigation of the regulations...nor did I or anyone else suggest a breaking of said regulations.

I made an opinion as to what my beliefs are on the subject in that, in my view, I can see the purchase of an item that will be used for less than six months to be a waste.  He made it a point to make it seem that I was somehow breaking rules.  Calling it as if it was I who did not know the regulations or wanted them "broken." Dirty football if you ask me...and you continue the trend.  We know what the regulations say...why must you people try to twist me and others into something else?

You often post opinions about facial hair and suggestions on "how it might work" in opinion form.  No one gives you the business like you and others are giving me and others.  No one is saying your breaking rules or encouraging the practice.  Why, because it's your opinion.  Why not let us all have equal call for our opinions? 

It is my opinion that PHall has been trolling...as sure are anyone else who "hits and runs."  I'm entitled to that opinion.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 17, 2011, 12:39:18 AM
Ah, the Supercell Thunderstorm.

Or the Atom Bomb Fart. :P

Seriously, though...I think that if/until the 39-1 is changed, an SMWOG (and PLEASE give that a different name, such as "Officer Candidate") should wear the blue enlisted flight cap (often dirt cheap on Evilbay, but make sure you get the shade right).

However, if s/he doesn't want to, I suggest wearing an alternate uniform until promotion to 2LT.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

I can remember at least one case of telling a C2/Lt who decided to wear the officer's flight cap that he did not have the authorisation to do so.  He argued with me and only subsided when I pointed it out to him in 39-1.  He still wasn't happy, but at least he complied.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

baronet68

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 17, 2011, 04:16:55 AM
... I can see the purchase of an item that will be used for less than six months to be a waste.

Seems to me that this is a non-issue for squadrons with cadets.  Since cadets wear the blue braid flight cap, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a spare, clean, and serviceable flight cap for a new SM to use for a few months until they are promoted.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: baronet68 on January 17, 2011, 05:05:43 AM
... I can see the purchase of an item that will be used for less than six months to be a waste.

Seems to me that this is a non-issue for squadrons with cadets.  Since cadets wear the blue braid flight cap, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a spare, clean, and serviceable flight cap for a new SM to use for a few months until they are promoted.

Which is what we do.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

No one said there was any circumnavigation of the regulations...nor did I or anyone else suggest a breaking of said regulations.

I made an opinion as to what my beliefs are on the subject in that, in my view, I can see the purchase of an item that will be used for less than six months to be a waste.  He made it a point to make it seem that I was somehow breaking rules.  Calling it as if it was I who did not know the regulations or wanted them "broken." Dirty football if you ask me...and you continue the trend.  We know what the regulations say...why must you people try to twist me and others into something else?

You often post opinions about facial hair and suggestions on "how it might work" in opinion form.  No one gives you the business like you and others are giving me and others.  No one is saying your breaking rules or encouraging the practice.  Why, because it's your opinion.  Why not let us all have equal call for our opinions? 

It is my opinion that PHall has been trolling...as sure are anyone else who "hits and runs."  I'm entitled to that opinion.

The red text above is a subjective statement. And a personal attack.

The blue text above is an objective opinion, and I do not regard it as a personal attack.

Now, let's look at two other sentences:

"you're an idiot."  and  "I think you're behaving like an idiot."

As a teacher, which would you use for a student doing idiotic behaviour? There's a big difference there. The first will inflame, and produce no good results. The second is more objective, and will likely receive better attention from the student.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Perhaps my choice of words were not initially well made...I assumed that the use of the term "opinion" in the subsequent sentence covered this as an opinion.

In any case, I don't see why this has exploded into this "drama." (unless you folks are trying to get the thread locked...which I can understand, but will not be the "whipping boy" to that effort.)

I made an opinion and got a face full of condescension...if I were to pull this on one of your opinions, what would your reaction be?  To ignore?  Take offense?  I have a problem with how some people...especially new people...are sometimes treated here by a certain "corps" of CAPTALKERs.  I acted in accordance with that belief...both to PHall's comments and to your reply. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

peter rabbit

researchdoc

Public Affairs Officer NC-022
22nd v2.0 Podcast:  http://burlcapcast.net.tf
NC-022 Website:  http://doubledeuces.org

DiNardo907

Thanks for all the great input everyone. 

I certainly don't mind spending the $15 dollars (I can probably scrounge one up temporarily however, I am in a composite squadron).  I just was looking for a bit of clarification (I wasn't sure if Senior Member, counted as Senior Member Without Grade), but I was pretty sure that's what 39-1 was referring to.

I don't want to be in violation of 39-1, It doesn't make a good first impression if you are in violation right from the start.  That is the nice thing about CAP however, members are willing to correct the issue, and point you in the right direction.

JK657

I wonder if you eliminated SMWOG and just called them Officer Candidates instead then maybe things would be a little clearer for all involved. Let them wear the blank epaulette sleeves and the officer flight cap without rank insignia?

Cool Mace

Quote from: DiNardo907 on January 18, 2011, 03:02:15 AM
... That is the nice thing about CAP however, members are willing to correct the issue, and point you in the right direction.

And sometimes a few others directions... ::)
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

SarDragon

Senior Member - grade

senior member - category of membership

In writing, it's simple, but most folks choose to ignore this.

Spoken, it's usually apparent from the context what the usage is.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

I was 27 when I joined CAP...and the title "Senior Member" instantly made me feel like I was ready for retirement. :-[
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JohnKachenmeister

I have a senior squadron, and I usually encourage my new members to get the golf shirt until just before they get promoted.  I probably should consider have a few enlisted flight caps in stock to issue to new SM's, though, and recover them once they make 2LT.
Another former CAP officer

manfredvonrichthofen

I honestly have to say, I was unaware of the stipulation that as a SMWOG you wear the enlisted hat. I was in violation of this for about two weeks while waiting for my 2nd LT paperwork to go through, and was in blues at least twice in that short period. I feel bad now :-\.

JoeTomasone

I think pretty much everyone commits an inadvertent uniform boo-boo at least once.   39-1 tends to make it easy, especially for SMWOG..