Silver Braid On the Flight Cap

Started by DiNardo907, January 15, 2011, 04:21:34 PM

DiNardo907

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping someone could provide some clarification on an item in 39-1 for me.  I am a new Senior Member (within the last three months).  I currently hold the grade of Senior Member (considerably over the age of 21).  I see in 39-1 that Senior Member NCOs, and Senior Members Without Grade wear a flight cap with a blue braid, where Senior Member officers wear the flight cap with the Silver Braid.

Most sites I find, list the grade of Senior Member (over 21) as an officer position.  I am unfamiliar with what I should be wearing, as most commissioned officers in the Military start at 2nd Lt., Ensign, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

jimmydeanno

Technically, those who hold the grade of Senior Member (rather than the membership category of Senior Member) wear the Air Force Style Enlisted Flight Cap.  It is all blue and has a blue braid.

When you get promoted to 2d Lt, you are now an officer and wear the flight cap that has the blue/silver braid.

In reality, I probably wouldn't buy the enlisted style flight cap considering the relatively few times you'll probably wear blues in that period of time versus the expense of buying a hat you're only going to wear 2, maybe 3 times.

Maybe you can find an extra one in/around your squadron until you need the officer style...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DiNardo907

Thanks Jimmy, perfectly clear!  I appreciate the advice.  I already purchased the officer flight cap, but not the non-officer.  Ill see if I can find one around (for flight ops).

a2capt

Buy the silver braid one, and work on your Level I/Online Test, Clickbox, Agreement collection during the  6 months to get promoted. Wear BDU's, or golf/polo until then.

...unless you plan on staying SMWOG.  There's no sense in buying one cap just to get another when you'll use it probably 3-4, .. 10 times max.

The CyBorg is destroyed

When I joined in '93, my then-commander directed me to wear the blue braid, no ifs, ands or buts, because promotion to 2LT was only an eligibility, not a guarantee.  I did so, and when I got my butter bars, I was then directed to wear the officer's flight cap.

I've had some discussions with new SMWOG's at various levels of heat about the blue/silver controversy...the vast majority of them just say they're going to wear the silver and that's that...even though we have loads of enlisted blue flight caps on hand that they could borrow.

I suppose I could tell them to wear the blue flight cap as per 39-1, and as I was told, but it's not worth it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

Well, notice I didn't say wear it, I said wear the other uniform combinations and wait.  Of course it's an eligibility, and unless people royally screw up it's not hard to get there. :) I've also gotten the impression that the service dress was not authorized until Level I was completed, though I suspect that may be cloudy thinking with regards to the Cadet Program and Curry. But thats the way it tends to work out anyway. It hasn't been an issue here in a while.

DiNardo907

Thanks for all the input everyone, I really appreciate it.  We have a shed where we keep returned uniforms from previous cadets and seniors that no longer have a need, for current member use.  I am sure I will be able to wrestle one up with a blue braid from in there, until I make 2nd. Lt. if need arises.

The other thing I haven't found anywhere is the long sleeve shirt for the blues.  Vanguard only sells the short sleeve.  When I asked them where I could get one, they said possibly a px exchange, or exchange online.  I tried to order one from the online exchange, but was told that my CAP membership isn't good enough, that I would need a military Id.

My squadron is assigned to a local airport, and my closest base with a PX just closed under BRAC,  any ideas on where I might be able to find one?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: DiNardo907 on January 15, 2011, 11:24:35 PM
My squadron is assigned to a local airport, and my closest base with a PX just closed under BRAC,  any ideas on where I might be able to find one?

You're in PA, right?

Try these:

http://odin.aafes.com/conus_ner/carlisle_barracks/index.html

http://odin.aafes.com/conus_ner/carlisle_barracks/info.htm#remote

http://odin.aafes.com/conus_ner/cekelly/index.html

http://odin.aafes.com/conus_ner/wright_patterson/index.html

I think you can get CAP members to agree that we would really like online ordering through AAFES for uniform items.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

DiNardo907

I am in PA CyBorg, thanks.... I will check those out.

Major Carrales

Here it goes...

I don't think SMWOG should wear the enlisted flight cap.  I think it should be an officer one.  Since the position is very temporary (six months...unless one joins and is not actively involved)

Rather than tell new members to "just wait and buy an officer cap once you get LEVEL 1," which promotes either 1) being out of uniform for having no flight cap or, 2) discourages uniform wear to avoid being "out of uniform," approving the wear of the officer cap for these individuals best serves the member and organization.

Have at it...
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

From a practical point of view, I agree with you that they might as well use the silver braid flight cap as long as we're using this stupid designation that puts people in purgatory as neither enlisted or officers but just sort of "there".  Requiring the purchase of a uniform item that is going to be in use for such a short period of time is either going to cause them to waste their money or just be a barrier to wearing the service dress uniform until they're an officer. 

PHall

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 16, 2011, 08:05:48 PM
Here it goes...

I don't think SMWOG should wear the enlisted flight cap.  I think it should be an officer one.  Since the position is very temporary (six months...unless one joins and is not actively involved)

Rather than tell new members to "just wait and buy an officer cap once you get LEVEL 1," which promotes either 1) being out of uniform for having no flight cap or, 2) discourages uniform wear to avoid being "out of uniform," approving the wear of the officer cap for these individuals best serves the member and organization.

Have at it...

You have your opinion and the writers of the 39-1 had theirs. Guess which one wins?

RiverAux

Just because something is in the regulation now, doesn't mean that it is "right" or won't or can't be changed.  39-1 is the poster child demonstrating this fact. 

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on January 16, 2011, 09:29:34 PM
Just because something is in the regulation now, doesn't mean that it is "right" or won't or can't be changed.  39-1 is the poster child demonstrating this fact.

But until it is changed it's still in force. Makes no difference if it's "right" or "wrong", that's what's in the regulation.

RiverAux

Yeah, whats your point?  Sparky was suggesting that this regulation should be changed not that it shouldn't be followed.

spacecommand

Even though some would say SMWOG is a temporary position and one should just go ahead and get the silver braided version, it is my opinion if you are going to wear the uniform, wear it right.

39-1 might be a mess, but we can't have people just making up their own rules either.  39-1 says, enlisted flight cap (sold blue braid) for SMWOG.

I was a SMWOG once, yes it costed me 15 dollars for the enlisted cap, but that's what I wore because it was the right thing to wear. 

If someone can't cough up 15 dollars for a new hat in six months, then wear a corporate uniform until they are promoted to 2d Lt.  If they want to wear the service uniform, and wear it right, then it's going to cost money. 

RiverAux

Quote from: spacecommand on January 16, 2011, 09:57:43 PM
39-1 might be a mess, but we can't have people just making up their own rules either.  39-1 says, enlisted flight cap (sold blue braid) for SMWOG.
Where has anyone on this board suggested this? 

spacecommand

^
No one and I didn't say anyone said it, I said we can't have people making up their own rules.

Cyborg has already mentioned there are members out there who buy and wear the silver braided one when they are not eligible to wear it yet.  I'm saying we can't have people making things up as they go along and wearing things they aren't eligible to wear.

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on January 16, 2011, 09:49:43 PM
Yeah, whats your point?  Sparky was suggesting that this regulation should be changed not that it shouldn't be followed.

The point is that Phall has evolved from positive CAP force, to CAPTALK troll making passing remarks with little relevant substance and for the effect of almost annoyance.  I am tempted to ignore the comments unless he initiates or makes some truly important comment.

The greater point is that the opinions of the membership have merit for what they are and I can post mine here despite curmudgeons like this fellow.

For what its worth, I maintain in my unit and personal supply enlisted flight caps for just such an occasion that are loned to the membership until they make the purchase of the longer needed on (unless they later become a CAP General).  They can be found at surplus stores and bought in bulk, which I did a while back, so that members would not waste money.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Once you are eligible to wear the officer flight cap, don't make the mistake of buying a general officer flight cap (brigadier generals and higher wear full silver piping on the flight cap). Officers from 2d Lt to Col wear the silver/blue 'zipper' piping.

I've seen the same faux pas done with the service cap: majors to colonels have four 'fars and darts' on the visor; brigadier generals and higher have six 'farts and darts'. Only the Chief of Staff of the Air Force wears 'farts and darts' around the crown as well as on the visor.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040