Main Menu

commanders badge

Started by BillB, January 05, 2011, 03:37:16 PM

BillB

National Staff works for the National Commander as part of their squadron. If this is a Squadron then they should be given the same consideration for individuality as any other squadron. They serve at the discretion of the current National Commander, but are they given the same opportunities?
1)   For example: Wing Commanders serve a 1 year term on a probationary period. After the first year they have 3 additional years to serve. After their time is up they get to keep the bird and get a DSM to boot. Keeping in with this line of thinking if you are on National Staff and serve honorably should the National Staff member be eligible for the DSM as well. They have served at the national level with national influence and national responsibility so what would be the difference. The DSM says national level impact seems to make sense.
2)   How can you tell a member is part of National Staff other than being named on a list somewhere?
3)   Should National Staff be eligible for the National Commanders Unit Citation?
4)   Should National Staff members be eligible to wear the Commanders Badge?

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

lordmonar

1.  Yes...national staff should be eligible for the DSM as defined in the regs.
2.  Who cares?  How do you tell squadron staff, except from their names on the list.
3.  Units not individuals are eliblble for eht national commanders unit citation.  The national staff "squadron" should be eligible for an appropriate unit citation.
4. No.....they are not commanders.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CAP Producer

Quote from: BillB on January 05, 2011, 03:37:16 PM
National Staff works for the National Commander as part of their squadron. If this is a Squadron then they should be given the same consideration for individuality as any other squadron. They serve at the discretion of the current National Commander, but are they given the same opportunities?
1)   For example: Wing Commanders serve a 1 year term on a probationary period. After the first year they have 3 additional years to serve. After their time is up they get to keep the bird and get a DSM to boot. Keeping in with this line of thinking if you are on National Staff and serve honorably should the National Staff member be eligible for the DSM as well. They have served at the national level with national influence and national responsibility so what would be the difference. The DSM says national level impact seems to make sense.
2)   How can you tell a member is part of National Staff other than being named on a list somewhere?
3)   Should National Staff be eligible for the National Commanders Unit Citation?

Not all members of the National Staff are members of the National CC's Sqdn. Most of us are members of wings and units but our primary duty assignment is on the National staff and we are on orders as such.

1. National Volunteer Staff serve at the pleasure of the CC and are recognized as the level of contributions merit. Several members received DSM's last year for work on the Narrowband Transition and many others received end of tour awards (ESA's) in recognition of their work. Its all about the level of contribution and degree of success.

2. You don't unless you know who we are.  ;D

3. No.

4. No, we do not command. We are empowered to act for the commander (within the limitations of policy, regualtion and commander's intent) in our functional area but we do not command anyone. ADDED: Also the CC's badge os for sitting Squadron and Group CC's only. Wing CC's wear the NB Badge and Region CC's wear the NEC Badge.

Members of the National Staff serve the organization in many ways. Some are high profile but most work quietly assisting the national leadership.

For me it is all about serving the organization and improving it. It is also a unique chance to develop and grow personally. Not many members actively work with the leadership (BOG, NB, NEC), NHQ and CAP-USAF.  Working with them is a unique chance to do some good as well as growing professionally and personally.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

James Shaw

1) For example: Wing Commanders serve a 1 year term on a probationary period. After the first year they have 3 additional years to serve. After their time is up they get to keep the bird and get a DSM to boot. Keeping in with this line of thinking if you are on National Staff and serve honorably should the National Staff member be eligible for the DSM as well. They have served at the national level with national influence and national responsibility so what would be the difference. The DSM says national level impact seems to make sense.

I agree with Al and yes

2) How can you tell a member is part of National Staff other than being named on a list somewhere?

The only way to distinguish at the moment is when you wear the blazer combo. You can have National engraved in place of the state.

3) Should National Staff be eligible for the National Commanders Unit Citation?

I would say yes for the Unit but no for the individual.

4) Should National Staff members be eligible to wear the Commanders Badge?

No we do not cammand we are support to the National Commander.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Eclipse

1)   Wing CC's don't just "get" a DSM, they are eligible on the assumption they meet the criteria - same as every other member of CAP.

2)   I see no reason for special distinction.

If NHQ-001 is considered a legit charter, I suppose.

Staff members would not wear the badge, only the sitting commander, and I suppose if HEADCAP wants to wear it he/she could today.

"That Others May Zoom"

James Shaw

Quote from: Eclipse on January 05, 2011, 04:15:55 PM
2) I see no reason for special distinction.

A) I would have to disagree with this. If you are attached to a unit than you have the benefit of associating with that unit. You wear their patch with pride. Fellow members know where you come from.

B) If you are a member of the National Board than you are eligible to wear the NB Badge on the uniform even after your term is up.

C) If you are a member of the National Executive Committee than you are eligible to wear the NEC Badge on the uniform even after your term is up.

National Staff members are not identifiable in the same way. I dont see it as "special distinction" but more as staff pride much like other members who put their unit names and such in their signatures.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Spaceman3750

Don't members of national staff wear the "National" rocker? I know I saw a few of them at NESA this year.

CAP Producer

Members assigned to the NHQ Units (NHQ-000 to NHQ-999, except the overseas units) can and often do wear this rocker. That does not mean that they are members of the National Staff. We (and uniformed NHQ members) wear the "National Staff" Rocker, but not many do so.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: caphistorian on January 05, 2011, 04:28:41 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 05, 2011, 04:15:55 PM
2) I see no reason for special distinction.

A) I would have to disagree with this. If you are attached to a unit than you have the benefit of associating with that unit. You wear their patch with pride. Fellow members know where you come from.

B) If you are a member of the National Board than you are eligible to wear the NB Badge on the uniform even after your term is up.

C) If you are a member of the National Executive Committee than you are eligible to wear the NEC Badge on the uniform even after your term is up.

National Staff members are not identifiable in the same way. I dont see it as "special distinction" but more as staff pride much like other members who put their unit names and such in their signatures.

I have no issue with a unit insignia for NHQ-001, but those are not worn on dress uniforms.  To do so would open up the discussion to every headquarters unit at every echelon from group through Region.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: lordmonar on January 05, 2011, 03:48:42 PM

Quick and sincere protocol question:
Does the Chief of Staff command the Staff?

CAP Producer

Quote from: JeffDG on January 05, 2011, 05:55:29 PM

The Chief of Staff is the senior staff officer of a Hiher Headquarters (Wing, Region, National) and supervises/manages the staff for the commander.

In a CAP context the National Chief of Staff is appointed by the CC as part of a slate of senior staff officers (Chaplain, IG, NFO, Comptoller, Health Service Chief, etc...) that is ratified by the National Board. CAP/CS is an NEC member and supervises the Senior Advisors who in turn supervise the Advisors and Team Leaders. CAP/CS is also third in command and would assume the role of CAP/CV is the CV resigns, is removed, temporarilly unavailable or is incapacitated.

Hope this helps.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

davidsinn

Does an XO command the staff? It's no different really. There is only one commander at each echelon.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

FW

The National Commander's squadron is NHQ-999.  It currently has about 75 members; all senior members and, includes current and former National officers.  It also includes the senior national staff advisers and a few spouses of national officers.  For the most part all are current or former NEC/NB members and, have more than enough bling to wear.

DSM's are not automatically given to wing commanders.  And, I know of quite a few national staff officers who have received it.

It may be a nice idea for national staff officers to have a "National Staff" badge authorized for wear.  What ever motivates is worth while.... 8)

No, the Chief of Staff corrdinates the staff with the senior advisers.  The National Commnader is the boss. 

JeffDG

Quote from: FW on January 05, 2011, 06:08:42 PM

No, the Chief of Staff corrdinates the staff with the senior advisers.  The National Commnader is the boss.

Thanks!  I was kinda curious if there was a formal chain-of-command that went from the CC->CoS->Staff, which would in essence make the "staff" an echelon commanded by the CoS...but that appears not to be the case.

BillB

Col Weiss....You are correct DSMs aren't automatically given to NEC, NB member. But out of the last 100 issued, how many were awarded to members not on NB or NEC? 5, 10? The number would be small since looking at the awards over trhe past, the majority of DSMs went to members of the National Board, ie Wing Commanders.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Smithsonia

This is a personal opinion.

I've always been impressed with the concept that the TOP ARMY GENERAL is titled not the commander, commandant, or general of the Army but Army Chief of Staff. Douglas MacArthur designed and issued the badges.
http://www.milbadges.com/corps/USA/staff

Among the people who were awarded these badges it was highly prized and deeply appreciated. Also through the title of the position and the wearing of the badge it means:
1. Staff and Command structure bestows deep trust. People under you have lashed themselves to your principals and bet their own careers upon your success as a commander.
2. It is not the ideas of one person that are represented but the best ideas of well considered and this highly trained organization behind you in every deed and duty.
3. The staff is always represented and authority goes both up and down the chain. Every person is a dutiful servant of every other person wearing these badges.
4. The Army is first and foremost a team.
I think that this concept should inform us, is worth thinking about, and appreciating in our volunteer organization. AND, these badges are not just beautiful but represent something sacred.

Like words - badges - mean something
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

JeffDG

Quote from: Smithsonia on January 05, 2011, 07:42:54 PM
I've always been impressed with the concept that the TOP ARMY GENERAL is titled not the commander, commandant, or general of the Army but Army Chief of Staff. Douglas MacArthur designed and issued the badges.
http://www.milbadges.com/corps/USA/staff

Quite simply, he's not titled "Commander" because he's not.  The Army, or for that matter Air Force, Chief of Staff are not commanders, but advisers to the Secretary of Defense.  The chain-of-command primarily flows from POTUS through SecDef to the Combatant Commanders (fka CINCs).  So the Commander, NORTHCOM, does not report to the AF Chief of Staff, but rather to SecDef.

bosshawk

Jeff; you are absolutely correct.  A staff has no command authority and the Army and AF Chief of Staff head their respective staffs and command just about nothing.  I have a passing knowledge of this, I was on the Army Staff for about five years as a Reservist.

CAP staffs command nothing: they can exercise authority delegated to them by their commanders, in his/her name.  This is a concept that I see regularly violated, mostly by folks who have little or no military experience.  This should be a subject for SLS, CLC or the new Basic Officers Course.  However, I wonder how many instructors in those courses understand the principle.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Eclipse

"Chief of Staff" is an administrative role charged with herding the cats of the Directors and similar-level staff officers at a given echelon.

Unless specifically delegated, the job has no command authority, and is there to insure the day-to-day administrivia of running a complex
headquarters component are kept running, but not underfoot, of the Commander.

The assumption is that the "Chief of Stuff" is always and only speaking with the Commander's voice, and no decision of consequence is ever made without consulting him first.

The practical reality is that many CoS' choose to use their status as a gatekeeper to act as more of a Co-Commander than a true subordinate.  Sometimes this is a symphony of efficiency, and sometimes it is a Charlie Foxtrot or worse. 

The only group a CoS has any authority over would be the staff officers at the respective echelon.  For example, in my wing the wing staff report to the CoS, but the Group CC's report to the CV.

Quote from: bosshawk on January 05, 2011, 08:53:46 PMCAP staffs command nothing: they can exercise authority delegated to them by their commanders, in his/her name.  This is a concept that I see regularly violated, mostly by folks who have little or no military experience.  This should be a subject for SLS, CLC or the new Basic Officers Course.  However, I wonder how many instructors in those courses understand the principle.

+1 there.

Many members believe being the "x" officer at a given level gives them authority over the downstream "x" officers, as well as anything regarding "x" downstream as well, when in fact their job is to coordinate resources, and support the initiatives downstream, with the only people who can "tell" anyone anything are the commanders themselves.  Direct communication between staff officers at different echelons is encouraged and makes for smooth execution, but policy cannot be dictated or decided without a commander's prerogative.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: BillB on January 05, 2011, 07:16:07 PM
Col Weiss....You are correct DSMs aren't automatically given to NEC, NB member. But out of the last 100 issued, how many were awarded to members not on NB or NEC? 5, 10? The number would be small since looking at the awards over trhe past, the majority of DSMs went to members of the National Board, ie Wing Commanders.

Ok however, I miss your point.  DSM's are usually given to those who've made a profound impact on CAP; either by serving as a member of the NB or NEC or, having lead a project team which made a great change to the way we do business.  The award is not meant to be given out easily.