White aviator shirt

Started by BradM, December 27, 2010, 07:18:26 PM

Eclipse

In terms of "being distinctive".

Why do our ribbons, etc., have to be on the left side?

Put them on the right. 

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Because they always have been worn on the left. Every branch wears them on the left. I can't even think of any country that wears their medals on the right.

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 06, 2011, 01:52:50 AM
Because they always have been worn on the left. Every branch wears them on the left. I can't even think of any country that wears their medals on the right.

Which is my point - no question we aren't USAF - even the RAF above has their wing on the right.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on January 06, 2011, 02:00:41 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 06, 2011, 01:52:50 AM

Which is my point - no question we aren't USAF - even the RAF above has their wing on the right.
Here is the thing, those aren't RAF. They are Norwegian AF. The hat device is wrong for RAF.
The reason that those wings are on the right side is because they are awarded from another country. When a foreign military awards another country's soldier an award it is worn on the right, unless it is a ribbon, then it is worn on the left unless it is a blanket award.
Also it helps to read the whole post rather than looking at a small part of a picture like the wings on the right side of a uniform.
Here is what he said
I'm not king either, but again, why does it all have to be grey?

If I WERE king, I would go with something based on what the Norwegians wear...kind of midway between blue and grey:

But no way, gotta be grey. ::)

Darkstar21

Only real option is to make all things equal. Nothing else will work too well in my opinion. Civilian uniforms with ranks attached will probably always look slightly odd placed right next to a military uniform.

Logic stand however that if a distinctive CAP coat can be manufactured for the TPU, then other types of coats can be made.

Which brings us full circle to equality. Just make a grey jacket cut exactly like a USAF service coat. Grey because its already established and anything else is just probably too out there to be accepted.

- Ask nicely to wear the USAF tie, USAF flight cap, and Service Cap with any distinctive features required (silver strap or device or something).

- If not go with that naval black cover suggested earlier with a black tie.

- Wear uniform Exactly like the USAF version.

- Wear grey shoulder marks on the shoulder straps. Wear slides instead of metal grade for the sake of not making the design too questionable to USAF. Also everyone has to buy the same insignia, less mistakes, less differences, equal (for the sake of solidarity with the non distinctive wearers if your still not convinced).

- Pick whatever shade of grey of jacket and tell members to use it to select the correct shade of civilian pants. Allow the different shades to be still worn without the jacket for the sake of less cost and complaints. Or spend the extra buck for all involved and offer uniform grey pants.

- No offence intended to anyone. Just intended to show with a larger frame.

- oh and officer braid. Ask nicely for it.

This pretty much cuts it down the middle I think. Sure your going to have to pay more for a limited run jacket as opposed to the USAF jacket. The TPU was the same way, and the jacket is always completely optional. Other options might be cheaper, but they are compromises in other areas as well. This way makes everyone look pretty equal. Grey may not be the most popular color but it is at least currently accepted.

Persona non grata

Great idea, I can see it now, Wings in the south will wear Grey and states in the north will wear blue.  Other wings will divide over the issue creating new wings.   I read about this typre of thing before and it did not turn out good for either side.  cadet against cadet, Senior member against senior member  >:D
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

a2capt

It must be ... late, early, or something. 

Gray.. ugh. I just.. ugh. Call it denial, but I'm not ready for gray yet.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: a2capt on January 06, 2011, 08:06:37 AM
It must be ... late, early, or something. 

Gray.. ugh. I just.. ugh. Call it denial, but I'm not ready for gray yet.

I don't see why it has to be "grey" because it's "currently accepted," as Darkstar21 says.

There are a lot of people who don't like the grey/white...why do you think the CSU caught on and was so popular?

I've talked to a lot of people both within and without my squadron...everyone I've talked to is P.O.'d about the CSU being taken away, especially since the CAP membership was not given input into the decision.

Across the board, I haven't personally talked to anyone who LIKES the grey/white...but they wear it because they don't want to shave a beard off (I had a beard before joining CAP but shaved it off) or they're outside the arcane and archaic H/W standards for whatever reason, or just because it's cheap.

Personally, I think the all-grey options look (at best) like a State Trooper and (at worst) like a Civil War re-enactor of the Confederate Army (no offence intended to either).  It also makes me think of WWII Germany.

Darkstar21: Why does anything except grey have to be "out there?" The AF does not have a copyright on all shades of blue, just 1625.  Otherwise, why would they have allowed us BBDU's, blue flight suits, blue flight jackets, etc?

P.S. The Royal Norwegian Air Force is one of the few that wear their aircrew badges above the right pocket.  Canada does similarly, except theirs are "ground-trades" RAF-style "half-wings."

I used the Norwegians because theirs are not quite blue but not quite grey either...surely there has to be a middle-ground somewhere between shade 1625 and being completely colourless.

The all-or-nothing-no-grey-area (pun intended) is rarely productive.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RADIOMAN015

Frankly as far as wearing awarded military decorations on the distinct uniform, I'm seriously considering approaching my congressman to put some pressure on the services to allow former/retired members wearing "patriotic" uniforms specifically associated with American Legion, VFW, Civil Air Patrol, USCG Auxiliary the right to wear earned military decorations.   It's assine that the approach that the AF is taking, when in reality I believe you will already see American Legion/VFW uniform displaying their appropriate earned military decorations.

Also I would personally would like to see a black flight jacket with Command Patch (rank optional) authorized.   I'd also like to see a black knit watch cap with the "Civil Air Patrol, Auxiliary of the United States Air Force" lettering/logo on it.  These could be worn with the golf shirt/aviator shirt/grey pants combination.
RM         

cap235629

OK who hacked RM's account and what did you do with him?  ;_
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: cap235629 on January 08, 2011, 06:59:22 PM
OK who hacked RM's account and what did you do with him?  ;_
I know right? This is really a 180 turn for you RM.
Every other branch allows for wear of medals/badges with civilian attire so long as they are worn "with pride" which means in the same general area as they are on the uniform. You are right, USAF needs to get on board with the rest of the military.

The CyBorg is destroyed

RADIOMAN, did someone slip something into your morning coffee?

Rather than a black flight jacket, I would like to see a "vintage blue" one become universal throughout CAP, wearable with any CAP uniform.  They're comfortable, they look good, they're warm, the USAF doesn't wear them, though they used to.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

FARRIER

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on January 08, 2011, 06:26:48 PM
Also I would personally would like to see a black flight jacket...

I already did that, kept it sanitized though. Nobody can scream "your mixing military with civilian" clothing.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: FARRIER on January 09, 2011, 07:42:20 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on January 08, 2011, 06:26:48 PM
Also I would personally would like to see a black flight jacket...

I already did that, kept it sanitized though. Nobody can scream "your mixing military with civilian" clothing.

I just have all the bling on my flight jacket put on with Velcro...if I want to wear it in a non-CAP situation, just pull the insignia off, stash it in the pocket and GTG.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

BradM

Quote from: CyBorg on January 08, 2011, 10:07:23 PM
RADIOMAN, did someone slip something into your morning coffee?

Rather than a black flight jacket, I would like to see a "vintage blue" one become universal throughout CAP, wearable with any CAP uniform.  They're comfortable, they look good, they're warm, the USAF doesn't wear them, though they used to.

Whats the link for this please?
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

a2capt

BradM

Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

a2capt

BradM

Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

BradM

I have another uniform question. If you have regulation short hair but you have a beard or goatee. Are you able to wear the blue nomex flight suit instead of the sage green nomex flight suit? I see that you can wear the blue utility coveralls. But if you wanted to be part of the air crew can you wear the fireproof nomex material instead of the poly/cotton material?
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA