White aviator shirt

Started by BradM, December 27, 2010, 07:18:26 PM

BradM

Quote from: Eclipse on January 03, 2011, 10:49:40 PM
Quote from: BradM on January 03, 2011, 10:44:39 PMYou said yourself the Air Force jacket is based off a business suit.

Yes, but your pic is like a movie vampire or Sherlock Holmes or somthing, besides, you just picked that pic because he has a beard!

It's from a tux site. If you have another suit or tux you like better lets see it. Beards, goatees, nothing wrong with them!

BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Eclipse on January 03, 2011, 08:13:17 PM
Quote from: BradM on January 03, 2011, 06:41:35 PM
I would like something similar to the Colonial dress uniform :)  We could start with this and make CAP alterations.

Works for me, I like their field uniforms, too.

So say we all  ;D
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 03, 2011, 10:49:40 PM
Quote from: BradM on January 03, 2011, 10:44:39 PMYou said yourself the Air Force jacket is based off a business suit.

Yes, but your pic is like a movie vampire or Sherlock Holmes or somthing, besides, you just picked that pic because he has a beard!

That's not a beard. It's just an example of being too lazy to shave for a couple of days.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FARRIER

Cyborg and Manfred:

Here is where I've seen the grey uniforms:

Southern Air Transport - Vietnam Era

Air America

With a modern airline uniform cut, add the earlier suggestions in the thread of blazer nameplate rank, wings, specialty track devices, etc.

Quote from: CyBorg on January 03, 2011, 07:54:16 PM
SarDragon: Yes, I've seen our cadets do the velcro, but without epaulettes I can't think of any way to affix the shoulder boards properly.  I was thinking that they would give a look similar to what the RAAF has, without all the scrambled eggs, aiguilettes and British blingage, of course:

FARRIER: That's not funny, not at my age (cue old image of Fred Sanford faking heart attack). >:D

Seriously, as I said earlier, if it absolutely has to be grey, at least let us have an airline-blue shirt to break the black-grey-white colourless monotony.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

The CyBorg is destroyed

Let's not be silly. When the threads drift into silliness Mike usually locks them.

I would be happy to have either white shirt/blue trousers or blue shirt/grey trousers.

The grey/white colour combo is one of the most colourLESS I can think of.

FARRIER: I've thought about Air America too, but they also had tan/khaki...not just colourless grey/white.

The same for Navy aviator greys.

(No I'm not suggesting adopt the Navy uniform)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Persona non grata

After trying to order a new uniform from AAFES with no success, I would be in favor of that grey looking air line uniform with some modifications.  There is a uniform shop in Miami that specializes in custom  made uniforms for the air lines, I am sure they could hook us up.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

SarDragon

Quote from: CyBorg on January 04, 2011, 07:19:00 AM

Well, I wouldn't call them aviator greys, because only one of the eight uniforms shown has wings, and the two in front aren't even officer uniforms. They have Chief Machinist Mate rating badges, which are about as far as you can get from aviation, since these guy work down in the engineering spaces, at or below the waterline.

What is your source for these pics? I have never seen this color uniform before, and I have literally spent my entire life close to the Navy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

SarDragon: I did a Google Images search for "grey dress uniform."  I'll defer to your knowledge on Navy uniforms since I know relatively little.

I think, at best, if the "corporate" side has their way about things, we'll end up with a very plain looking version of something like this:

It's basically what we have now with a grey (too)military-cut coat and bling.

(Actually, it's Brazilian Air Force.)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

FARRIER

I've been away from the airlines since 2003, but, I never saw an airline use any shade of grey. I'm thinking of the aversion to blue those in power have. There is a path to a professional looking uniform with an aviation history behind it. And wearing a service cap with a shirt and trousers isn't just military. Up untill I left, it wasn't uncommon to see a Captain do a preflight with his service cap on, in shirt sleeves. So there is a civilian precedent to this. And as far as airlines that allow pilots to wear goatees, Cayman Airways.

Respectfully,

Quote from: CyBorg on January 04, 2011, 07:19:00 AM
Let's not be silly. When the threads drift into silliness Mike usually locks them.

I would be happy to have either white shirt/blue trousers or blue shirt/grey trousers.

The grey/white colour combo is one of the most colourLESS I can think of.

FARRIER: I've thought about Air America too, but they also had tan/khaki...not just colourless grey/white.

(No I'm not suggesting adopt the Navy uniform)
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: FARRIER on January 04, 2011, 07:55:57 AM
I've been away from the airlines since 2003, but, I never saw an airline use any shade of grey. I'm thinking of the aversion to blue those in power have. There is a path to a professional looking uniform with an aviation history behind it. And wearing a service cap with a shirt and trousers isn't just military. Up untill I left, it wasn't uncommon to see a Captain do a preflight with his service cap on, in shirt sleeves. So there is a civilian precedent to this. And as far as airlines that allow pilots to wear goatees, Cayman Airways.

I have no idea why those in power have such a zealotry for grey and an aversion to blue, unless it's still some sort of residual jitters dating back to when we got the berry boards imposed.

I agree with you that there is a path to a professional looking uniform with an aviation history behind it...but I really doubt NHQ will get behind anything that isn't grey.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Well, I did some lookin', and they are legit, dating from 1943-1949, so they did exist in my lifetime.

All I gotta say - them's some fugly uniforms.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RVT

Quote from: CyBorg on January 04, 2011, 08:02:31 AM
I have no idea why those in power have such a zealotry for grey and an aversion to blue, unless it's still some sort of residual jitters dating back to when we got the berry boards imposed.  I agree with you that there is a path to a professional looking uniform with an aviation history behind it...but I really doubt NHQ will get behind anything that isn't grey.

Considering NHQ is in Alabama, if CAP went back to 1865 I could guess at a reason..

JeffDG

Quote from: RVT on January 04, 2011, 04:42:25 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 04, 2011, 08:02:31 AM
I have no idea why those in power have such a zealotry for grey and an aversion to blue, unless it's still some sort of residual jitters dating back to when we got the berry boards imposed.  I agree with you that there is a path to a professional looking uniform with an aviation history behind it...but I really doubt NHQ will get behind anything that isn't grey.

Considering NHQ is in Alabama, if CAP went back to 1865 I could guess at a reason..

Gotta say, this looks kinda snappy:

A.Member

If I were king and designing a CAP distinctive uniform, it'd look something like this (somewhat similar to a couple earlier images):

• Dark charcoal jacket
  • Gunmetal gray pants with dark blue stripe (think Army/Marine Corps style)
  • Dark blue epaulets (with CAP) - or possibly the same light gray epaulets as the AF-style?
  • Gray shirt
  • Same blue tie as AF-style
  • All other uniform items the same as AF-style

Could be worn in the same combos as the AF-style service dress (ie. with or without service coat, long sleeves or short, etc.).  Also add charcoal pullover to combo.  A bow tie and shoulder boards could be added to make it formal (ie. like the cadet uniform).  This would compliment the AF-style uniform while providing a professional look.

The current CSU is already on phase out.   At the same time, I'd ax the blazer, aviator gray, and polo outfits.   No need for the blazer and this uniform combo can be worn open collar with short sleeves.  This would reduce overhead and streamline things a bit as the seniors would essentially be reduced to only 2 uniform options - AF style or CAP distinctive. 

Some people may not like the military style while others that can't wear the AF-style may welcome it.  We can't be all things to all people and not everyone would be happy.  Some people would probably even leave as a result but sometimes that's the price of doing business. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Bluelakes 13

Since we are playing King, I would go the complete opposite.  I would phase out all USAF-style uniforms and make the blazer, aviator gray, blue BDU, and polo outfits as the only uniform options.  One uniform for each type of activity so we can all look, errrr, UNIFORM!

NCRblues

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on January 04, 2011, 09:38:51 PM
Since we are playing King, I would go the complete opposite.  I would phase out all USAF-style uniforms and make the blazer, aviator gray, blue BDU, and polo outfits as the only uniform options.  One uniform for each type of activity so we can all look, errrr, UNIFORM!

I really enjoy how people say cutting out the AF style/corporate style will make us uniform. Have you seen an active duty commanders call?

*at least in my experience* The pilots show up in flight suits (because heaven forbid they have to wear something other than their zoomies.) The "workers" (i.e. cops, fire fighters, paramedics, maintainers, fuels.....ext....) show up in a mix of ABU's, BDU's, and dress blues shirts and pants (normally). The back officer "paper pushers" if you will, show up in a mix of what seems like hundreds of dress blues combo's.

Then you get to the wing king and staff. The wing king (queen) can show up in whatever they want, and it has changed at every one i have went to. From full dress blues to flight suits.

Yes i know someone will say "but...but...they can make a certain one mandatory". Yes that is correct, but very rarely do they.

Even on dress blues Mondays i would say maybe... half the working base is in dress blues.... "uniformity" is something we all talk about.... rarely achieved on active duty. IMOSHO.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on January 04, 2011, 09:38:51 PM
I say poop on that! Just because you hate the military look, doesn't mean you should be able to take the military heritage that CAP has. You take our past, you take our future.

BradM

One simple solution for me, playing king, would be for me to wear the AF uniform with my trimmed goatee or trimmed beard like Marko Ramius in The Hunt For Red October if I ever decided to do that too.  :) Keeping the weight standards for your belly. But, if you exceeded the weight standards because you were lifting weights and have a lot of upper body muscle. You just get a custom made AF coat/jacket.
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 04, 2011, 10:38:23 PM
I say poop on that! Just because you hate the military look, doesn't mean you should be able to take the military heritage that CAP has. You take our past, you take our future.

Lighten up Francis.  A bit presumptuous, aren't we today?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: A.Member on January 04, 2011, 09:30:28 PM
If I were king and designing a CAP distinctive uniform, it'd look something like this (somewhat similar to a couple earlier images):

• Dark charcoal jacket
  • Gunmetal gray pants with dark blue stripe (think Army/Marine Corps style)
  • Dark blue epaulets (with CAP) - or possibly the same light gray epaulets as the AF-style?
  • Gray shirt
  • Same blue tie as AF-style
  • All other uniform items the same as AF-style

Could be worn in the same combos as the AF-style service dress (ie. with or without service coat, long sleeves or short, etc.).  Also add charcoal pullover to combo.  A bow tie and shoulder boards could be added to make it formal (ie. like the cadet uniform).  This would compliment the AF-style uniform while providing a professional look.

The current CSU is already on phase out.   At the same time, I'd ax the blazer, aviator gray, and polo outfits.   No need for the blazer and this uniform combo can be worn open collar with short sleeves.  This would reduce overhead and streamline things a bit as the seniors would essentially be reduced to only 2 uniform options - AF style or CAP distinctive. 

Some people may not like the military style while others that can't wear the AF-style may welcome it.  We can't be all things to all people and not everyone would be happy.  Some people would probably even leave as a result but sometimes that's the price of doing business.

I'm not king either, but again, why does it all have to be grey?

If I WERE king, I would go with something based on what the Norwegians wear...kind of midway between blue and grey:

But no way, gotta be grey. ::)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011