Help for new squadron starting from scratch no prior experience in CAP

Started by cstone, December 22, 2010, 03:47:35 PM

cstone

Charlie F. Stone 12/21/2010 9:10:25 PM
Here's our unique problem, we have started a new squadron from scratch and have no previous CAP members to guide or advise us. We are experiencing much difficulty in getting ourselves up to speed without mentors. Our progress is only because most of these folks are professionals and can dig it out, but it is a long tedious process.

Has anyone ever developed a complete getting starting and continuing training guide for seniors. I am familiar with the senior fast start guide and that helps, but what does the senior use after level I. Seems the cadet program is so well thought out, but not so for seniors. Seniors have to do a lot of hunting and research online on their own to get what they need for training.  What sequence of courses should be taken, etc.

Surely in 50 plus years of CAP someone or some squadron had a complete start to finish training guide out there? We don't want to re-invent the wheel, just show us where it is!

Help!

FW

First of all, welcome to CAP, Charlie.  Starting a squadron from scratch is a formidable.
Best thing to right now is to go to the GOCIVILAIRPATROL.COM weibsite then find the "knowledgebase".  Type in the phrase "starting a squadron".  There is a lot of info to help you get started.  Also, try dealing with your group and wing commander for help.  They should be able to find a mentor.

Good Luck.

EMT-83

The Fast Start guide is an excellent reference in that it does cover the basics. Become thoroughly familiar with CAPR 50-17, which explains the senior program in detail.

I would reach out to your Group / Wing Professional Development Officer, and other staff officers. It's their job to support the squadrons, not the other way around. They may be able to supply a mentor to guide you; you shouldn't have to go it alone.

Above all, network with your peers. Make contacts and ask them for help. Get everyone into SLS as soon as you can. The senior program isn't rocket science, but it can be confusing at first.

If all else fails, there's CAP Talk. Good luck!

coudano

CAPR 50-17 shows almost everything, though it's a little out of date.
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R050_017_AAC4BB3089BE0.pdf

Get everyone distributed for full coverage to the staff areas,
Assign them to the duties in duty positions e-services
enroll them in specialty track appropriate to their duty assignment
start knocking out the technician checklists in the specialty track guides

Specialty track guides:
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/forms_publications__regulations/pamphlets.cfm
CAPP 200 through 229.

**Unfortunately, getting training for the different staff functions is basically impossible, outside referencing the pamphlet for that specialty track.  Basically you need to make friends with experience in other squadrons, and work with and learn from them.  Use your group and wing staff counterparts as resources, they can answer a lot of questions.  And use forums like this to ask specific questions.  I'll bet we have someone with experience of virtually every specialty on this forum.

Once each person completes their OJT checklist for technician rating, go into e-services and award their technician level.  Then get them started on their senior level.

Schedule an SLS (Squadron Leadership School) for your entire squadron, or attend one being hosted at a nearby unit.

Get all of your people with any interest at all in working with, near, or around cadets to a TLC (training for leaders of cadets)

Get your squadron commander and deputy commanders to a UCC (unit commander's course)

That ought to get you the next few steps along the way from here...

JohnKachenmeister

Are you starting a cadet, composite, or senior squadron?

My first recommendation is to start either a cadet OR senior squadron... you can always reorganize as a composite after you get going strong.  Focusing on one aspect of the mission will simplify your life a lot.

Do any of your members have prior military experience, especially as officers or senior NCO's?  That will be VERY helpful, especially in the cadet training world.  The military does not do many things like CAP, but they do enough that a smart ex-military guy can make the transition easier.  If not, find some and recruit them.

How about pilots?  Who is going to do your AE instruction?

I would strongly recommend recruiting and training up your SM's first, BEFORE you start trying to recruit cadets.  Having a program to receive and train cadets is way better leadership than:  "Welcome to CAP... what do we do now?"  The exception might be if any currently-serving cadets want to transfer to your new unit... they can help.  This may involve chartering your unit as a Flight rather than a Squadron, but again, it only takes one form to change that if you gain strength.
Another former CAP officer

Camas

The SLS training is good but that's really something that can wait. First things first. Number one is staffing. You need a minimum of eight members to start a unit. If you plan on having cadets three members must be senior members. You then become what is know as a flight. Second, there are four positions that must be filled  -  commander - finance officer (ref CAPR173-1) - safety officer (ref CAPR62-1) and testing officer (ref CAPR50-4). Some good resources to study are CAPR50-17, CAPR39-2, CAPR20-3 and CAPR35-5 among many others. Be sure to bone up on what's required for Level I training. As mentioned before CAPR50-17 is out of date particularly in this regard. The  Level One webpage has all the requirements. I could go on but I'm sure others will have other great ideas. Good luck!

A.Member

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 22, 2010, 05:08:39 PM
Are you starting a cadet, composite, or senior squadron?
This was one of my first questions as well.  They need to understand their objective for starting the squadron.   The answer will help guide them on the next steps.

But my first question is this:  Have you approached the Wing CC?   They authorize the activation of squadrons.   They also supply the support and resources, through the group level, to get you started - that is their role and you must start with this approval. 

Before they jump into the details, the framework must be in place.  Again, your Group and Wing CCs are critical to this.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Quote from: cstone on December 22, 2010, 03:47:35 PM
Here's our unique problem, we have started a new squadron from scratch and have no previous CAP members to guide or advise us.

I'd question how it was even possible, since the charter would have required a specific number of members to even light it up.
How does this happen?  How do people not even in the organization walk into Wing and say "I'm starting a unit."  You might not even like CAP.

Without assistance from higher HQ, as well as recruiting some people with experience, your prospects for long-term success are not bright.

Good intentions are not enough in CAP, because half the battle is know what you don't have to do.

You might consider finding another unit and operating as a flight of them for 6-months to a year.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

OK, wait - do you have a charter, or you are a member in another unit and want to start a new squadron?

"That Others May Zoom"