So why do we have height and weight standards?

Started by JokerMafia248, December 05, 2010, 08:15:24 AM

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2010, 08:47:42 PM
You're required to wear it when conducting the cadet program.
Riding in a CAP aircraft.
Riding in a CAP ground vehicle.
Participating in ES operations.

That is by reg, and of course CC's can dictate more.

"riding in a CAP vehicle"?   
To borrow one of yours, cite please!

If you're going to say "participating in or conducting the cadet program"  means driving cadets to or from an event, I don't buy that.  [This sounds familiar - did we have this conversation before?]

Eclipse

I'll stipulate to not having to be in uniform when it is all seniors.  But operating a corporate vehicle with cadets in your charge?  How
much more conducting the program is there?

Yes, I know that NCC teams routinely drive long distances out of uniform - not sure that is any more kosher than a closed door with
two unsupervised cadets behind it in a hotel.

I'll also stipulate that when this came up recently the regs were suitably vague and circular that there is room for both sides.  Considering
that a golf shirt and comfortable pants fills the bil, I wouldn't personally drive cadets without at least that uniform on, and I'd probably want something in writing from a CAP Legal Officer before I'd let cadets ride in civvies.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 09, 2010, 12:46:28 PM
No, it is not absurd.

California cities have passed resolutions declaring the Marine Corps to be "Unwanted Aliens."  San Diego, once a pro-military town, has banned military recruiters from schools. 

Everyone else in the country wears the USAF uniform on missions.  ONLY California finds working with people in a military uniform offensive and dresses them up in a ridiculous clown suit in order to work SAR.

I have been in ES in the air and on the ground for many years in two wings, and the "Customers" I have worked with have appreciated the fact that the USAF provided a professional military unit to assist them.  "When you care enough to send the very best."

Besides... your "Customer" on a SAR mission is the USAF... AFRCC at Tyndall is paying the bills.

Boy you must have some really good eyes. You can sit there in FLORIDA and tell us in CALIFORNIA what is happening in our state.

I beg to differ with your "opinions", because that's what they are. Because they sure aren't based on facts.

JohnKachenmeister

^  I think it was Oakland city council that declared the Marines "Unwelcome aliens," true or false?

San Diego has recently barred military recruiters from the schools.  If not true, please advise.

You are prohibited from wearing the USAF uniform on missions.  True or false?

The costume you have to wear on missions is blue pants, an orange shirt with blue patches on it, and a flower that squirts water.

OK, I made up the part about the flower, but the rest is true.
Another former CAP officer

SARDOC

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 10, 2010, 03:32:42 AM
^  I think it was Oakland city council that declared the Marines "Unwelcome aliens," true or false?

False...It was Berkley

vento

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 10, 2010, 03:32:42 AM

San Diego has recently barred military recruiters from the schools.  If not true, please advise.

You are prohibited from wearing the USAF uniform on missions.  True or false?

The costume you have to wear on missions is blue pants, an orange shirt with blue patches on it, and a flower that squirts water.

OK, I made up the part about the flower, but the rest is true.

^^^
We also have about half of the population pro same sex marriage and another half of Californians against same sex marriage. So what?

The examples you posted doesn't not represent the whole state of California, not even by a long shot.

JohnKachenmeister

^^^

Please.  US Marines are declared "Unwelcome aliens," but actual aliens who sneak across the border are welcomed into "Sanctuary Cities" and get truckloads of welfare, free medical care, and  in-state  tuition at college.

Most of the state is very uncomfortable with the military, and as a result, you are barred from wearing a military uniform.
Another former CAP officer

SARDOC

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 10, 2010, 03:45:32 AM
^^^

Please.  US Marines are declared "Unwelcome aliens," but actual aliens who sneak across the border are welcomed into "Sanctuary Cities" and get truckloads of welfare, free medical care, and  in-state  tuition at college.

Most of the state is very uncomfortable with the military, and as a result, you are barred from wearing a military uniform.
isn't the the same state Ronald Reagan is from?

NCRblues

^ isn't that the same state that cant balance a budget with one of the largest populations in the US, they also have some of the wealthiest people in America *cough* hollywood *cough*, so where is all the tax money going?....

We can go back and forth all day about the greatness/suckyness of CALI.....but lets not.....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

PA Guy

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 10, 2010, 03:45:32 AM

It seems the CAWG GT uniform has a very narrow application.  It is only required for those actively engaged in GT ops.  Base, flt crews, UDF are not required to wear it.

http://www.cawg.cap.gov/Files/Supplements/CAWG39-1.PDF

SarDragon

San Diego, once a pro-military town, has banned military recruiters from schools.

San Diego is still a pro-military city (CA's second largest). In fact, the second most popular tourist attraction in the city, after the Zoo and Wild Animal Park, is the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum. That's pretty military to me. Also, many business establishments have some sort of military discount for products and services.

As for recruiters, they haven't been banned. There have been new rules instituted, regulating on campus practices because of complaints by teachers, students, and parents. More here.

QuoteEveryone else in the country wears the USAF uniform on missions.  ONLY California finds working with people in a military uniform offensive and dresses them up in a ridiculous clown suit in order to work SAR.

As explained above, it's NOT a clown suit. Our customer, and controlling agency within the state, Cal EMA, has asked that CAP wear clothing similar to that work by other SAR personnel within the state. CAWG leadership negotiated a supplement with the NHQ folks and it was issued. The uniform actually works quite well.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

Quote from: SarDragon on December 10, 2010, 04:51:43 AM
San Diego, once a pro-military town, has banned military recruiters from schools.

San Diego is still a pro-military city (CA's second largest). In fact, the second most popular tourist attraction in the city, after the Zoo and Wild Animal Park, is the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum. That's pretty military to me. Also, many business establishments have some sort of military discount for products and services.
BTDT, didn't care for a t-shirt ;D Midway was awesome. Zoo, meh.

Quote from: SarDragon on December 10, 2010, 04:51:43 AM
As for recruiters, they haven't been banned. There have been new rules instituted, regulating on campus practices because of complaints by teachers, students, and parents. More here.
Which also, if I'm reading that right, restricts civilian college recruiters in the same way. Hmm.

arBar

Found this page with a good picture of the CAWG ground team uniform.  Personally I don't think it looks bad.  In fact, I think I like it, if for no other reason than it makes the ultramarine name tapes not look so goofy.  :D

http://sq45.cawg.cap.gov/Uniform/CAWG_GTuniform.html

Though I'll add that after looking at some of the online pics of this unform, there seems to be no single authorized exact shade so you end up with a uniform that isn't completely uniform. :(

arajca

The restrictions on the wear of it are interesting. You can't wear it:
Travelling to/from an incident
At the incident base/staging area
Travelling to/from the search area

So you have to change into it when you arrive at the search area, and not before. Then take it off before you leave the search area. Makes a whole lot of sense to me.

NOT!

Eclipse

Man, there is so much wrong with this idea, the uniform itself, and that web page I don't know where to start...

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on December 10, 2010, 05:59:32 AM
Man, there is so much wrong with this idea, the uniform itself, and that web page I don't know where to start...

And since CAP doesn't make the rules it doesn't make a bit of difference.

CAP operates in the State of California at the pleasure of the various County Sheriff's and the Governor.
The Governor has delegated his authority to CalEMA.

That's the way the law is written and has been that way since before WWII, if not earlier.

Major Carrales

Quote from: arBar on December 10, 2010, 05:30:34 AM
Found this page with a good picture of the CAWG ground team uniform.  Personally I don't think it looks bad.  In fact, I think I like it, if for no other reason than it makes the ultramarine name tapes not look so goofy.  :D

http://sq45.cawg.cap.gov/Uniform/CAWG_GTuniform.html

Though I'll add that after looking at some of the online pics of this unform, there seems to be no single authorized exact shade so you end up with a uniform that isn't completely uniform. :(

I have to agree, it has a certain look to it that I do not find fault with.  You can bet that can be seen from the air better than camo attire with a orange vest over it. 

Downside...It now creates a CAP "regional" uniform...might we soon see Hawaiian Shirt pattern tropical gear and RED "Mounty" style service coats for our Wing that boarder the "Great White North."  I can't wait for the CAP "Mariachi Traje," for us on the border and active in the performing arts.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DakRadz

If I had wings and a GT badge, that uniform would be sooo hardkewl. I think the garish blue and garish orange actually bring each other together...
Sad thing? I'm dead serious, looks awesome (with wings and a badge).

As it is, glad I don't live in Cali.

-GNE Dak

NCRblues

Quote from: PHall on December 10, 2010, 06:12:59 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 10, 2010, 05:59:32 AM

And since CAP doesn't make the rules it doesn't make a bit of difference.

CAP operates in the State of California at the pleasure of the various County Sheriff's and the Governor.
The Governor has delegated his authority to CalEMA.

That's the way the law is written and has been that way since before WWII, if not earlier.

Except when on an Air Force mission, then they operate under the federal government, so are they still required to wear the silly, er,  great  ::) uniform?

and why no grade insignia? that makes no sense.....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

DakRadz

Quote from: NCRblues on December 10, 2010, 06:25:09 AM
and why no grade insignia? that makes no sense.....
Eh, I can kinda see why. Cuts back on the "I wanna wear it cause it's/I'm/we're hardkewl" factor. Plus, given the limitations and restrictions on wearing it in general, you won't be worried about saluting when you do have it on, you'll be out searching.