Leather Strap to AF Service Cap

Started by Grumpy, October 28, 2010, 06:45:15 PM

Grumpy

Our squadron has several billed service caps (Cadet Officer) that were donated to us.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that the leather strap that goes across the top of the bill is rotting and breaking apart.  I have one cadet officer who insists on wearing that thing without the strap, stuburn.

Does anyone know where we can get replacement straps without having to buy a new cap?  Vanguard only sells the strap, with the buckle, that goes around the back of the cap.

Thanks

Eclipse

What strap goes around the back?  The only one I have ever seen is the chin strap that sits on the front below the insignia:

There shouldn't be anything around the back:

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

The Air Force Honor Guard has a silver strap in the front and a black strap, with buckle on the back:

In the image above, they've used it as their chin strap.

Although, I do believe that the "Army Cap Strap" on their webpage is the same as the Air Force One

http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=751
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Майор Хаткевич

HGjunkie

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2010, 06:59:07 PM
Nothing on the back here, either...

The 4 Guardsmen have rear chin straps. They're just in the down position.

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on October 28, 2010, 07:04:23 PM
CAP HG also has the "rear" strap.

Beat me to it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

As I looked around for more photos it appears that only people who actually need a chin strap wear that, so just remove it for standard wear.

"That Others May Zoom"

capmaj

Most police supply businesses sell a black leather strap for the front. It will fit nicely on the USAF cap.

Flying Pig

Grumpy:
I have one cadet officer who insists on wearing that thing without the strap, stuburn.

This is the part of your post that Im still not computing. :o

Hawk200

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 28, 2010, 07:28:26 PM
Grumpy:
I have one cadet officer who insists on wearing that thing without the strap, stuburn.

This is the part of your post that Im still not computing. :o
I imagine that he meant "stubborn." Cadet officer wearing uniform item that is not complete, and doesn't care that it's wrong.

Ozzy

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Eclipse

If you aren't on an CG, you don't wear the chin strap, thus, take off the old ones and wear the hats.  Your stubborn cadet officer is actually correct.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Grumpy states that the strap over the BILL is bad, and that Vanguard only has the REAR strap, which he does not need. Hence, the cadet is incorrect, and he needs to wear the flight cap until he gets the strap.

Eclipse

You are correct.  The hat comes off...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2010, 11:38:34 PM

Not only that, the flight cap is actually more comfortable, once you try on the bus cap...

Eclipse

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on October 28, 2010, 11:46:17 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2010, 11:38:34 PM

Not only that, the flight cap is actually more comfortable, once you try on the bus cap...

Unless it is raining...

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

The strap that the HG folks are wearing in the back is the same strap everyone else wears in the front. The hat is incomplete without a black strap in the front, as pictured.

As for the cadet in question, he needs a stern one-sided conversation directed at him.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2010, 06:55:06 PM
What strap goes around the back?  The only one I have ever seen is the chin strap that sits on the front below the insignia:

There shouldn't be anything around the back:

What I need is the strap you see on the front of the cap.  Not the "Ivy League" buckle you put in the back.  They were popular back in the 60's when I was a SAC AP but they were optional.

Grumpy

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2010, 11:04:53 PM
If you aren't on an CG, you don't wear the chin strap, thus, take off the old ones and wear the hats.  Your stubborn cadet officer is actually correct.

No, he's not.  The strap is part of the cap.  It's just that the ones we have, have become rotten.  Place your finger between the start and the cap and the strap rips in two.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret