Obviously we have a Major working for NBC...

Started by Krapenhoeffer, October 19, 2010, 12:37:19 AM

SARDOC

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 19, 2010, 08:21:35 PM
Quote from: SARDOC on October 19, 2010, 08:15:12 PM
I hope his character is a reservist...he had the Marine Corps Reserve Service Medal too...
That's a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal. Did you notice he has two Legion of Merit Ribbons? One on either side of the DSSM.

I stand corrected you are absolutely correct on both counts....Very strange...the technical advisor needs to be canned.

RiverAux

I had always assumed he was Army special forces from the various hints they've dropped over the first two seasons (just starting to watch the 3rd). 

DBlair

Quote from: RiverAux on October 19, 2010, 08:55:15 PM
I had always assumed he was Army special forces from the various hints they've dropped over the first two seasons (just starting to watch the 3rd).

According to the badges displayed, he is supposed to be Marine Recon.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

HGjunkie

I see a Purple heart with a bronze OLC 2 rows under the MSM. His collar is also undone... My OCD is going nuts.  >:(

Do I also spy an IACE Ribbon under the highest one?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

I was thinking that, too. Also, don't USMC Purple Hearts get stars, and not OLCs?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Krapenhoeffer

In context of the scene, he was getting dressed. Only scene I could get a good shot of the ribbons without it being spoiler-rific.

It is also known that he was in Force Recon before being transferred to the NSA.

SPOILER ALERT: This is the "Chuck Wiki" page on the character in question. If you aren't up to date on Chuck, and you actually watch Chuck, do not click.

That means you RiverAux.

http://chuck-nbc.wikia.com/wiki/John_Casey
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

JohnKachenmeister

I think what you might think is a purple heart is the Navy "E" ribbon, but is that an Army good conduct medal next to it?
Another former CAP officer

DakRadz

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 19, 2010, 11:36:23 PM
I think what you might think is a purple heart is the Navy "E" ribbon, but is that an Army good conduct medal next to it?
I'll second this, and hopefully SarDragon can give some insight as well.

Heh, I remember being a O.O wide eyed freshman thinking my LCDR had earned a purple heart. ::)

SarDragon

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 19, 2010, 11:36:23 PM

Was thinking that, but the device doesn't look quite right. Upon viewing magnified, it looks like the device is the wreath, a little off center. The one next to it looks like a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal. And no NDSM. Fail.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Shows and movies do it all the time. Don't get me started on the Stargate Shows...

SarDragon

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on October 20, 2010, 02:56:57 AM
Shows and movies do it all the time. Don't get me started on the Stargate Shows...

I think there's a big difference between the USMC, and a fictional, futuristic, non-specific military force. (Not to be confused with NSU)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on October 20, 2010, 03:03:43 AM

I think there's a big difference between the USMC, and a fictional, futuristic, non-specific military force. (Not to be confused with NSU)

Stargate is run by the Air Force, with occasional USMC/USA troops in the mix.

Flying Pig

Third row up, second from right is the "Battle E".  The other one with the two gold stars is the Navy Commendation.  Actually its dark green.

Flying Pig

Quote from: HGjunkie on October 19, 2010, 09:07:57 PM
I see a Purple heart with a bronze OLC 2 rows under the MSM. His collar is also undone... My OCD is going nuts.  >:(

I think so.  The military has no solid red ribbons.

SarDragon

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 20, 2010, 04:07:46 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on October 19, 2010, 09:07:57 PM

I think so.  The military has no solid red ribbons.

Not exactly true. The Army MUC is solid red, but has a gold frame. I don't see a frame on the the ribbon in the pic, and it certainly is not in the correct place.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

His ribbons are:
Loening Award, Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star
Legion of Merit, Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star
Garber Award, defense meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Navy and Marine commendation Medal
Navy and Marine Corps Medal, Joint Services Achievement Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Presidential Unit Citation
Navy Unit Citation, Meritorious Unit citation, Navy "E" Ribbon, Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Humanitarian Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Medal
Philippine Independence Medal, Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation-Cross of Gallantry, Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation-Civic Action Medal
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JohnKachenmeister

Wasn't the Philippine Independence Ribbon awarded only in 1946?  Also, is this dude old enough to have earned the Vietnam Service Medal?  I got one, but I'm 61, a little old for active duty Marine Corps service.

Do they still award the Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal?  I thought all the individual service expeditionary medals were replaced with the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.
Another former CAP officer

MSG Mac

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 20, 2010, 10:14:05 AM
Wasn't the Philippine Independence Ribbon awarded only in 1946?  Also, is this dude old enough to have earned the Vietnam Service Medal?  I got one, but I'm 61, a little old for active duty Marine Corps service.

Do they still award the Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal?  I thought all the individual service expeditionary medals were replaced with the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.

Independence Ribbonm was for troops who earned both the Phillipine Defense  (41-42) and the Liberation Medal (1944-45). The VSM was extended to inclufe Operation Frequent Wind, so it could have been earned at the fall of Saigon in 75. 

MCEX and NEX are still awarded in situations where the Marine Corps and Navy are the only services involved in an operation
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JeffDG

OK...for all you decoration gurus out there...here's one I am entitled to...just not in CAP...who can ID it...

spacecommand

Quote from: SarDragon on October 20, 2010, 03:03:43 AM

...Which would be the US Air Force and USAF heavy for SG-1 "the original series". (the other spin offs dive into other branches and space uniforms I don't care about).  Stargate also had the AF Chief of Staff Gen. Ryan and later Chief of Staff Gen. Jumper playing themselves in some episodes.  The show went on to win an award from the USAF for it's portrayal of the Air Force on TV.

The first seasons and movie version were plagued with problems, but they tried to get it right later on in the show.

Though in the end we have enough problems in "the real world" to nitpick at fictional characters. ;)

SG-1 on "Today's Air Force" talking about their relationship with the show (technical advisers, uniforms, how they got things wrong etc)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-D69C-d82s