Homeland Security Missions

Started by BradM, October 13, 2010, 05:57:18 PM

BradM

Hello, I am wondering if there is a prerequisite time a member must be in CAP before they can participate in Homeland Security missions? I was told recently that you need to be in CAP for 2 years before you can participate in counter drug missions. Is HS the same? Also if you would like to share some of your HS mission experiences I would like to read about them :)

Thank you!
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

jeders

Yes, for CD you have to be in 2 years and pass an additional background check. Depending on the mission, HLS stuff can be done as just a regular support mission open to anyone with the specialty quals, or it can restricted to CD qualified members. It just depends on the mission and the customer request.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Flying Pig

CD is not a Homeland Security Mission.  You can waive the 2 years if you are an active or retired law enforcement officer.

BradM

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 13, 2010, 08:25:49 PM
CD is not a Homeland Security Mission.  You can waive the 2 years if you are an active or retired law enforcement officer.

How about an accountant for a retirement home? No, oh well :(

:) Thank you for responding.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

spacecommand

I don't think there are any restrictions on HS missions, but it depends on what the HS mission might be.  They might want more experience crews, they might not.  While HS missions do cover a broadrange of areas, drug missions as mentioned are not HS missions.

Tubacap

In regards to CD Qualifications and HLS, although CD missions are not HLS, there are many times that CD Qualification is viewed as a requirement for a particular HLS mission.  It is due to the advanced screening, and sometimes the training received regarding aerial detection and records keeping.  It's not that the other crews don't receive the same training, it is just that CD crews do it, in our neck of the woods, almost as a full time job in the summer.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

BradM

So would some of you say that a HLS mission is something a new member should expect he could do after he's been in CAP for 2 years? Thats its not very likely he could do it before 2 years.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Tubacap

I think it would depend on where they live, and what types of HLS missions are being flown in their AOR.  We have HLS missions that are not "sensitive" in nature, in which any crewmember can participate.  Critical Infrastructure monitoring comes to mind around me; whereas other things require a little bit more discretion, so aircrew with CD quals are preferred.

Talk to your Squadron/Group/Wing DO/HLS/ES Officer for more details about specifics in your neck of the woods.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

BradM

Quote from: Tubacap on October 14, 2010, 12:31:21 AM
I think it would depend on where they live, and what types of HLS missions are being flown in their AOR.  We have HLS missions that are not "sensitive" in nature, in which any crewmember can participate.  Critical Infrastructure monitoring comes to mind around me; whereas other things require a little bit more discretion, so aircrew with CD quals are preferred.

Talk to your Squadron/Group/Wing DO/HLS/ES Officer for more details about specifics in your neck of the woods.

Thank you! Any insights on the Southern California area?
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Flying Pig

Probably the Predator Mission would be the thing that would come to mind for CAWG right now.  Beyond that, they arent really any on going HLS missions that are anything scheduled.

DBlair

Quote from: BradM on October 14, 2010, 12:26:41 AM
So would some of you say that a HLS mission is something a new member should expect he could do after he's been in CAP for 2 years? Thats its not very likely he could do it before 2 years.

If the member is aircrew qualified.

Sure, theoretically non-aircrew members can participate in CD and HLS missions, but I've found this to be extremely rare as both are aircrew-based.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Flying Pig

Definitely doable.  Its just that most HLS and CD ops are flying missions, with a small..very small, base staff.  The clients partner with CAP because we have planes. 

BradM

Quote from: DBlair on October 15, 2010, 08:22:33 PM
If the member is aircrew qualified.

Sure, theoretically non-aircrew members can participate in CD and HLS missions, but I've found this to be extremely rare as both are aircrew-based.

I plan on becoming an Observer. My Level 1 completion just posted today on eServices :) Completeion date 10/4/10. :D
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

ammotrucker

Quote from: DBlair on October 15, 2010, 08:22:33 PM

There are more then you would think.  If you are in FLWG as your signature indicates you must not listen to what is going on in the Wing.There are plenty of opportunities for other then aircrew
RG Little, Capt

Eclipse

Also bear in mind that HLS, CD, and related missions are as close as we get to "black ops" in CAP and as such are kept close to the vest and generally confidential.

Reminds me of when my friend toured Fermi on a job interview and asked "Do you have any classified research going on?"   ::)

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Quote from: Eclipse on October 16, 2010, 03:13:11 AM
Also bear in mind that HLS, CD, and related missions are as close as we get to "black ops" in CAP and as such are kept close to the vest and generally confidential.

Reminds me of when my friend toured Fermi on a job interview and asked "Do you have any classified research going on?"   ::)

BLACK OPS!!! Considering we advertise CD and HLS all over the NHQ web site.  But your right.....that is about as close as WE get.

Senior

I remember when we started doing CD.  It was told to everybody to
keep it quiet.  I have seen CAP advertised on a national news broadcast being involved in CD.  I was shocked to see it on the national website when I started in CAP again.  Talk about blowing OPSEC ??? :o

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

BradM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLHqEWVn3FY
CAP at Red Flag 2010.

I found this today. This would be a fascinating mission to be on :)
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA