Main Menu

Chartering

Started by capmaj, October 10, 2010, 09:17:33 PM

capmaj

Does anyone have any experience in forming a Legislative unit?

Specifically, is the CAPF 27 sufficient as a submitted request to National, or does it take some other type of request for National to issue the membership certificates?

arajca

Contact your wing commander. First, all units require his/her approval to start. Second, each wing should already have a legislative squadron. Its members are the state legislators, governor, and selected staff. Each wing only has one legislative squadron.

RiverAux

Each wing probably should have a legislative squadron but that doesn't mean that each of them actually does have one.   

Eclipse

You don't "form one" and they aren't operational units - they are ceremonial only and are used to foster the relationship between CAP and legislators at all levels. 

Each wing already has one, and there is only one per wing (XX-999) whether it is being utilized at all is another matter.

"That Others May Zoom"

capmaj

From CAPR 20-3, Para 7......... "Wing commanders should notify National Headquarters/DPM when they wish to charter a state legislative squadron"

My question is.... what constitutes "notification"?  A CAPF 27 alone, or is something more required?

Eclipse

OK, this begs the question...

Have you been authorized / requested / directed by your Wing CC to start a -999 unit in your wing and you are asking about the procedure, or have you simply decided that your wing needs one and are trying to start one on your own?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on October 10, 2010, 09:51:00 PM
You don't "form one" and they aren't operational units - they are ceremonial only and are used to foster the relationship between CAP and legislators at all levels. 

Each wing already has one, and there is only one per wing (XX-999) whether it is being utilized at all is another matter.
Wrong.  Each Wing has the potential to have one.  Not every one does.  Look at the organization table in a recent CAPWATCH download. 

Eclipse

I'm pretty sure his wing does.

"That Others May Zoom"

capmaj

So was the answer.............. Yes, the CAPF 27 is sufficient? Or does the Wing Boss need to send in something additional?

And you're correct, RiverAux. Wings need to individually request a Legislative unit.

Eclipse

If my conjecture on your location is correct, your Wing already has a -999.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Of course, just because a Leg unit has been chartered, doesn't mean that it is actively being used.  But again, that would be pretty easy to check on with your wing leadership. 

Seems to me that they wouldn't be any different than other in requesting a unit charter. 

Eclipse

Maybe I'm wrong, but....

http://www.capvolunteernow.com/news.cfm/hawaiis_us_rep_hirono_joins_cap_legislative_squadron?show=news&newsID=8363

July 23, 2010
HAWAII – Wing members recently visited U.S. Rep. Mazie Hirono to confer Civil Air Patrol legislative membership on the congresswoman.

Hirono joins Sens. Dan Akaka and Dan Inouye as members of CAP's Legislative Squadron in the nation's capital. Membership is awarded to lawmakers for outstanding support for CAP.

The CAP delegation presented Hirono with a membership certificate, a blue CAP golf shirt and her CAP identification card

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

According to the latest Unit Directory, the following wings do not have 999 squadrons: AR, DC, KS, KY, MA, MS, MT, ND, NH, OR, SD, UT, VA, and VT.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DakRadz

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 13, 2010, 01:04:57 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 12, 2010, 09:10:55 PM
DC

!!!

.... Does anyone want to see what would happen if you put together members of Congress in uniform? Delusions of grandeur would occur for certain, to some extent...

As a matter of fact, I do want to see that...

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on October 13, 2010, 01:20:45 AM
.... Does anyone want to see what would happen if you put together members of Congress in uniform? Delusions of grandeur would occur for certain, to some extent...

No thank you. that would turn in to a giant mess.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

JeffDG

DC

!!!

Well...NHQ has the Congressional Squadron.  DC not being a state doesn't have a State Legislature.

MSG Mac

DC

!!!

But DC's only units actually within the District are the Wing Headquarters and 1 cadet Squadron all the rest are in VA or MD.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

C/Martin

DC

!!!

They couldnt do it cause they would spend every meeting aruging who would be the squadron commander and ranks.
Regards,
C/CMSgt
Todd Martin
Executive Officer/Chief
VA-023