AFJROTC switched to ABUs?

Started by RiverAux, September 15, 2010, 09:16:47 PM

RiverAux

You guys are sort of missing my point.  It is the fact that ABUs have evidently been authorized for AFJROTC wear but not for CAP wear that is the issue. 

The conventional wisdom on the reason for delaying CAP's switch is that first the AF needs to finish their transition and that presumably allowing CAP to start wearing them would somehow make the AF transition more difficult. 

This doesn't appear to be a problem if AFJROTC cadets are being allowed to wear them.  Why the unequal treatment of the two "branches" then?

JayT

Quote from: RiverAux on September 19, 2010, 04:33:44 PM
You guys are sort of missing my point.  It is the fact that ABUs have evidently been authorized for AFJROTC wear but not for CAP wear that is the issue. 

The conventional wisdom on the reason for delaying CAP's switch is that first the AF needs to finish their transition and that presumably allowing CAP to start wearing them would somehow make the AF transition more difficult. 

This doesn't appear to be a problem if AFJROTC cadets are being allowed to wear them.  Why the unequal treatment of the two "branches" then?

Well, as was stated above, it may simply be that a few AFJROTC cadets were allowed to buy ABU's from commerical sources. Remeber also that JROTC wears the same branch and name tapes as the Air Force now. Unless I'm mistaken, ABU's cost a few hundred with boots. Perhaps the National leadership is waiting until prices drop down a bit before it's authorized. Have you been able to find any manual or regulation concerning the wear of uniforms by JROTC?
If you had a cadet show up with ABU's now, what would you do?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

a2capt

Quote from: JThemann on September 19, 2010, 04:44:50 PMIf you had a cadet show up with ABU's now, what would you do?
"Thats nice,.. but the UOD is.. this isn't freestyle day.."

RiverAux

Quote from: JThemann on September 19, 2010, 04:44:50 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on September 19, 2010, 04:33:44 PM

Well, as was stated above, it may simply be that a few AFJROTC cadets were allowed to buy ABU's from commerical sources. Remeber also that JROTC wears the same branch and name tapes as the Air Force now. Unless I'm mistaken, ABU's cost a few hundred with boots. Perhaps the National leadership is waiting until prices drop down a bit before it's authorized. Have you been able to find any manual or regulation concerning the wear of uniforms by JROTC?
If you had a cadet show up with ABU's now, what would you do?

Well, I ASSume that no JROTC instructor would decide on their own to make a switch.  But, if they are being allowed at the national level, I don't care whether they have to buy them or not.  Thats irrelevant to me as a CAP member that has to buy all my own uniforms anyway. 

If a CAP cadet showed up in ABUs, thats easy - send them home. 

JayT

You may be assuming wrong, that's my point. JROTC units tend to be very autonomus compared to CAP units.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

caphornbuckle

I was in when CAP changed from the "Pickle Suit" to the BDU's.   I am not sure as to how long the transition was between the AF getting them and CAP getting them but it seemed to be some years later.  We just had to wait for the BDU's to start circulating through DRMO at a very high rate before we got them. The transition will take a while but I can guess it will just be a matter of time before we go to ABU's.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP