AFJROTC switched to ABUs?

Started by RiverAux, September 15, 2010, 09:16:47 PM

RiverAux

I have seen some stuff on the internet indicating that AFJROTC cadets are already wearing ABUs, but can't seem to find anything official about that.  Is this true?  Is there a national program that issues them free to JROTC cadets or are JROTC cadets just allowed to buy them on their own (saw some contradictory pages on this issue). 

Seems to me that since CAP is actually more "operational" than JROTC, that we should have been allowed to switch over first (both for seniors as well as cadets). 

As indicated in another thread, ABUs may be a moot point, but if the AF is switching again, I'd hope someone in CAP is advocating on this issue. 

Thought this realignment of CAP-USAF within the Holms Center was supposed to help get everyone on the same page?

Patterson

I flew JROTC O-Ride two weeks ago where half the cadets had ABU's the other half BDU's. I did not think anything of it until you posted this, as I see that same scene on Base almost daily.

If that is the case, it means the BDU's have become significantly more expensive than the BDU's to the government.  Since Senior ROTC wears ABU's begining last year, I thought that maybe when they turned them in they were sent to JROTC through DRMO over the summer months.

I am very curious now. 

SARDOC

if I recall all the JROTC's provide their uniforms to their cadets.  They may not be able to get BDU's through their supply system anymore so the transition has begun.  Since CAP does not provide utility uniforms to anybody...What is the hold up when there are a number of vendors from which we can purchase ABU's.  The whole excuse of the Air Force having to outfit it's people just doesn't hold water anymore.

CAP could appeal to the Air Force to allow us to begin the transition as well.  Don't get me wrong I'd rather see our own unique civilian uniform such as BBDU's for everybody but I understand the Recruiting aspect for cadets.  I just don't think we need Camo for our mission.

IMHO.  Thanks

Chief2009

Who cares?

BDU's and BBDU's work just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

What would you have the units that have stockpiled BDU's so they can issue them to the cadets do?

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Patterson

Quote from: Chief2009 on September 15, 2010, 11:19:58 PM
What would you have the units that have stockpiled BDU's so they can issue them to the cadets do?

Extend the ABU phase-in to 2014.  By that time members who are coming in now have outgrown those originally issued to them and they have been able to save $50.00 for 4 years to so they can buy the ABU in 2014.

Who cares was your question......the answer is our Cadets care. 

DakRadz

AFJROTC is NOT officially officialed to officiate the wearing of ABUs.

Many schools are allowing students to spend their own $200 to buy them IF they so choose. (The green boots cost as much as everything else- sorry, sage).

So... Yeah, but no, but yeah but no but no.

BillB

AFJROTC is not able to get BDUs from DRMO. The only uniform the Air Force suppies to AFJROTC is blues with service coat. They also supply shoes, shich CAP cut back on to save funding for more blue uniforms. AFJROTC gets what CAP gets plus service coat and shoes. USAF also supplies all the color guard equipment and pays retired officers and senior NCOs as instructors. The local AFJROTC staff once told me that they are not authorized BDUs for cadets.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

davidsinn

Quote from: BillB on September 16, 2010, 12:37:23 AM
AFJROTC is not able to get BDUs from DRMO. The only uniform the Air Force suppies to AFJROTC is blues with service coat. They also supply shoes, shich CAP cut back on to save funding for more blue uniforms. AFJROTC gets what CAP gets plus service coat and shoes. USAF also supplies all the color guard equipment and pays retired officers and senior NCOs as instructors. The local AFJROTC staff once told me that they are not authorized BDUs for cadets.

That's interesting because I just saw 4 dozen of them in BDUs in a parade over the weekend.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DakRadz

BDUs ARE AUTHORIZED!

However, you must have a signed letter from the principal approving them.

Blues and shoes are provided- cadets get to keep the shoes, everything else is a 1-4 year lease. Oh, we also get PT gear to keep.

BDUs are provided by units or bought by cadets. USAF does not supply them, as above said.

We have a shed full of them, sell them (in sets) to cadets at the price of a pair of pants OR a blouse if bought elsewhere. Boots and BDU caps are also leased (by the unit, since unit owns them), and we wear the PT shirt with BDUs to distinguish between AD- so cadets pay 20-30 dollars (depending on whether they want to have a seamstress sew on their insignia or not) and get a full set.

Patterson

^ You sell used BDU's and Boots to Cadets??  You do not issue them?  Do you at least buy new uniform items with the money you are making off your members??

tsrup

Quote from: Patterson on September 16, 2010, 02:22:18 AM
^ You sell used BDU's and Boots to Cadets??  You do not issue them?  Do you at least buy new uniform items with the money you are making off your members??

I had a raised eyebrow about this too, I thought selling issue items is bad juju. 
The army could either donate them to you or destroy them, and I bet they had to get special approval to offload them to you, just as our local AFROTC had to get approval to give us their stock of old uniforms. 

Paramedic
hang-around.

DakRadz

After seeing the replies- these are not issue items that we sell. They are donated.

Cadets have the option to rent BDUs. Free. But there is an option to purchase. For much cheaper than anywhere around here -see below- and the funds go to the unit -see below-.

Boots are leased for free to cadets- return when you're done.

BDUs are COMPLETELY optional items. You must be a second year cadet to purchase. No misfortune befalls those who do not have them.

The money is used towards unit activities- i.e. keeping field trip costs from low to 0. We would lose our fundraiser money from actual fundraisers if we purchased BDUs- we sell them so cheap, it would put us in the hole.

$20 for pants and blouse, free boots and cap until you graduate/quit, free undershirt (USAF PT shirt, provided to all cadets by DRMO?), free socks even, if needed.

$20 for the entire uniform if you sew it yourself. Around here, the USED BDUs at surplus stores are 15 for a blouse. So I think it's a fair deal.

EDIT:
So, we receive no BDU support from Holms Center. It is a local operation. Due to the fact that we can easily do ALL events in blues or AF shirts, BDUs are reserved for 2nd year cadets so that they know what they're doing uniform-wise and they've stuck with us for a goodly while.

Any clarifications needed? I tried to fix them all this time.

Patterson

^ ok.

The retired Officer running your detachment is in violation of 2 separate rules regarding clothing and equipment from the DoD.  The DLA strictly forbids the resale of any current or retired clothing item funded by tax dollars.  That means one DoD organization can not resell materials that have already been purchased by the American taxpayer, even if they received the item or items from another DoD organization (DRMO, ROTC etc.)

The second......boots are kept by graduating Seniors.  Cadets will only be issued new footwear. 

Persona non grata

Why is your detachment selling donated uniforms that have been purchased by the DOD for ROTC, sounds like an IG investigation should be conducted.  What is your unit # ?.     
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Short Field

Quote from: DakRadz on September 16, 2010, 12:54:53 AM
We were lucky- the local Army ROTC unit(s) donated BRAND NEW :D BDUs to our unit when the Army switched over. So we have a shed full of them, sell them (in sets) to cadets at the price of a pair of pants OR a blouse if bought elsewhere. Boots and BDU caps are also leased (by the unit, since unit owns them), and we wear the PT shirt with BDUs to distinguish between AD- so cadets pay 20-30 dollars (depending on whether they want to have a seamstress sew on their insignia or not) and get a full set.
Yep, as a courtesy to the retired officer running your program, you need to let him know you ratted him out.  http://www.dodig.mil/hotline/fwacompl.htm
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

jimmydeanno

Quote from: eaker.cadet on September 16, 2010, 04:16:55 AM
Why is your detachment selling donated uniforms that have been purchased by the DOD for ROTC, sounds like an IG investigation should be conducted.  What is your unit # ?.     

ROTC charges their cadets for their uniforms too, you know (assuming they keep them). 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Patterson

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 16, 2010, 04:31:49 AM
Quote from: eaker.cadet on September 16, 2010, 04:16:55 AM

ROTC charges their cadets for their uniforms too, you know (assuming they keep them).

They only are allowed to charge the Graduating, Commissioning Seniors for the uniforms.  Since new Commissioned Officers get a "one time clothing allowance" payment, it is all equal in the end!

SARDOC

When I was an NJROTC Supply guy many moons ago...Uniforms were never sold...Cadets had to place a deposit on uniforms that were issued and they would receive their deposit back when the uniform was returned.  Every Item has an identified expected service life so we were expected to reissue all items that were serviceable.  If they Item was damaged before the end of it's service life the cadet forfeited their deposit.  I was NJROTC so we never had BDU's but we were issued the Dress Uniform including Coat, a Peacoat, a Cover, Outdoor Raincoat, Utility Uniform (aka Khakis) and Shoes as well as any necessary accessories.  We actively competed against drill teams from AJROTC, AFJROTC and MCJROTC and they all had BDU's.  We were Green with envy not camo...teenagers

SARDOC

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 16, 2010, 04:31:49 AM
[

Many ROTC types also have a uniform allowance (ie Scholarship folks or ECP guys)  If they Graduate they get to keep their uniforms in exchange for their uniform purchase Chit.  Officers are then required to purchase their owns uniforms...no Allowance after initial issue.

JayT

The wearing of BDU's depends on the unit. My old digs didn't bother, we only wore service dress.

As for CAP being more 'operational' then JROTC.....does it matter? They're buying them from commerical sources...it's not as if CAP is being passed up for clothing issue.

What always bothered me was that AFJROTC is able to issue so much more then CAP was. In JROTC, I was issued a lightweight jacket, a service jacket, two short sleeve shirts, two long sleeve shirts, two pairs of pants, a garrison cap, and all insignia and decorations. I understand that JROTC cadets probably make a better investment then CAP cadets, but it still doesn't make sense when you compare JROTC clothing issue compared to the FUP.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."