Hook & loop epaulet?

Started by spacecommand, September 09, 2010, 02:29:03 AM

spacecommand

Ok, maybe it is something that is obvious but I'm missing it, but can someone explain to me the difference between the "Hook & Loop" epaulets and the regular epaulets sold by vanguard?  The price appears to be the same and they look the same.

davidsinn

The hook and loop have velcro on the bottom so you can open up the slide and hook it over a fixed epaulet. Used on the spring jacket and the overcoat. Works on other places but does not look as nice.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

The epaulet sleeves with the Velcro® seam are for use on the waist-jacket as the epaulets on these jackets (both Army black and USAF blue) do not have a button.

They are slightly wider when compared to a standard sewn sleeve and look terrible when worn on a regular shirt, in the same way that a standard sleeve looks bad when crammed onto a jacket epaulet.

The Velcro® ones used to be more expensive.

"That Others May Zoom"

spacecommand

Thanks that clears it up for me!

NIN

Spend 20 minutes with a stitch ripper, sewing machine and some velcro squares and make your epaulets removeable.  Then you can use regular shoulder marks and not those *horrible* looking velcro "things"... *shudder*

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on September 09, 2010, 02:51:43 AM
Spend 20 minutes with a stitch ripper, sewing machine and some velcro squares and make your epaulets removeable.  Then you can use regular shoulder marks and not those *horrible* looking velcro "things"... *shudder*

Please never do that - standard epaulet sleeves are not big enough - you can tell from a mile away.

The Velcro ones that look bad, like anything else, are the ones members can't take 30 seconds to put on correctly.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on September 09, 2010, 02:57:44 AM
Please never do that - standard epaulet sleeves are not big enough - you can tell from a mile away.

The Velcro ones that look bad, like anything else, are the ones members can't take 30 seconds to put on correctly.

They looked absolutely fine on my jacket.  Like they were made for it.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on September 09, 2010, 04:54:57 AM

I would hazard a guess that your attention to detail, attention span, and ability is somewhat higher than the average member
who is going to just ruin a pair of sleeves for no reason and then try to wear them any way to save $8.

"That Others May Zoom"

vmstan

Quote from: NIN on September 09, 2010, 04:54:57 AM

Yes they do, and I have the jacket to prove it ;)
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4