Main Menu

CAP Decorations

Started by lordmonar, September 02, 2010, 08:03:26 PM

flyboy53

I don't think the Air Force currently differentiates between combat and non-combat sorties for things like the Air Medal and Aerial Achievement Medal. I thought I read somewhere that Army Air Force crews only had to fly 100 non-combat sorties or perhaps even hours when CAP aircrews were tasked with flying 200 sorties/hours.

The nature of this organization/mission, however, is such that I would have thought that all those who flew the hurricane or oil spill sorties should have been put in for Air Medals and I don't understand why the support personnel weren't recommended for similar levels of awards due to the nature of this emergency.

Someone at NHQ has to take up the cause and research what needs to be done to open this channel and begin the process, but then I can already see the writing on the wall as to why it wouldn't be allowed. Someone will claim recognizing all that sacrifice would be too expensive on the part of the DoD.

It's just like Cold War veterans. They fought/served during what was essentially a war of nuclear deterrence and various confrontations and only get a certificate for their service/sacrifice.

jb512

Quote from: flyboy1 on September 18, 2010, 10:56:49 AM
I don't think the Air Force currently differentiates between combat and non-combat sorties for things like the Air Medal and Aerial Achievement Medal. I thought I read somewhere that Army Air Force crews only had to fly 100 non-combat sorties or perhaps even hours when CAP aircrews were tasked with flying 200 sorties/hours.

The nature of this organization/mission, however, is such that I would have thought that all those who flew the hurricane or oil spill sorties should have been put in for Air Medals and I don't understand why the support personnel weren't recommended for similar levels of awards due to the nature of this emergency.

Someone at NHQ has to take up the cause and research what needs to be done to open this channel and begin the process, but then I can already see the writing on the wall as to why it wouldn't be allowed. Someone will claim recognizing all that sacrifice would be too expensive on the part of the DoD.

It's just like Cold War veterans. They fought/served during what was essentially a war of nuclear deterrence and various confrontations and only get a certificate for their service/sacrifice.

If you google the USCENTAF Guidebook it'll tell you the criteria the AF uses for the Air Medal and Aerial Achievement Medal.

They do differentiate between combat and combat support sorties for each one and it depends on the contingency your flying in support of as well as the aircraft you're flying in and it goes by points (or a single act of heroism).

For the C-5 group we have to enter the Area of Responsibility (combat zone) and get 15 points for each separate mission number, only one per day.  Once you get 210 points (70% rule) you can be awarded your first Air Medal (130% for the second award).  Only combat missions can be used for the AM.

For the Aerial Achievement Medal you need 105 points for the first award (70% rule) and you can use combat for 15 points each or combat support for 7.5 points each.

I'm not seeing CAP entering a combat zone, and the act of heroism required would be pretty tough to do without dying to save a General somewhere...

arajca

Minor changes, including approval authority levels.

BradM

Ok if the military Air medal is out of the question. How about the Civilian Air medal for 100 CAP missions?

http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4066

Or if that is out of the question, how about a CAP Air Medal that could go before the CAP Bronze Medal of Valor in order of precedence?
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

BradM

Quote from: jaybird512 on September 18, 2010, 03:44:05 PMI'm not seeing CAP entering a combat zone, and the act of heroism required would be pretty tough to do without dying to save a General somewhere...

Any chance of AK-47 fire from the ground or even a shoulder launched ground to air missile for a drug enforcement or homeland security mission? The Mexican criminal gangs are heavily armed and a terrorist group could have shoulder launched missiles. Perhaps I am reading too much Tom Clancy? :)
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

AlphaSigOU

One tweak needs to be made: rename the 'Wind' campaign ribbon to 'Weather' - that is more inclusive of weather related events such as a blizzard (which is not covered in the original award criteria). 'Man-made' sounds better than 'man-caused', in my opinion.

Eaker awardees will probably be up in arms at their omission from the award list... just sayin'  ;D

You might want to consider thinning down the campaigns to two ribbons: 'Natural disaster' (will cover weather, fire, flood, earthquake, etc.) and 'Man-made disaster' - industrial accident, or any disaster man-made in scope that meets the three prerequisites listed in the criteria.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Short Field

Quote from: BradM on September 19, 2010, 02:56:10 AM
Perhaps I am reading too much Tom Clancy? :)
You think???  Sorry but nothing you earn in CAP is going to get you VFW membership.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

Quote from: arajca on September 17, 2010, 12:53:55 AM
Updated once again:
Wow, even more ribbons than we have now.  Going in the wrong direction in my opinion.

Sidebar - Is there a ribbon with the Livesaving Award currently?  Thought it was just a certificate. 

James Shaw

Yes there is a ribbon. Red w/ white and yellow stripes on either end.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

arajca

Quote from: caphistorian on September 19, 2010, 02:18:16 PM
Yes there is a ribbon. Red w/ white and yellow stripes on either end.
Occasionally mistaken as the Spaatz ribbon.

arajca

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 19, 2010, 04:21:52 AM
One tweak needs to be made: rename the 'Wind' campaign ribbon to 'Weather' - that is more inclusive of weather related events such as a blizzard (which is not covered in the original award criteria). 'Man-made' sounds better than 'man-caused', in my opinion.

Eaker awardees will probably be up in arms at their omission from the award list... just sayin'  ;D

You might want to consider thinning down the campaigns to two ribbons: 'Natural disaster' (will cover weather, fire, flood, earthquake, etc.) and 'Man-made disaster' - industrial accident, or any disaster man-made in scope that meets the three prerequisites listed in the criteria.
Sounds good. Easily done.

arajca

Quote from: RiverAux on September 19, 2010, 02:06:34 PM
Quote from: arajca on September 17, 2010, 12:53:55 AM
Updated once again:
Wow, even more ribbons than we have now.  Going in the wrong direction in my opinion.
Well, there were some issues with dropping some, i.e. cadet milestones. Also, delineating the campaign ribbons added some, but at the same time eliminates the potential of a new ribbon for each campaign. The number of different campaign ribbons may be reduced.

BillB

One ribbon missing is the Cadet COP. There are still quite a few members that earned that as a cadet.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

arajca

What were the requirements for the Cadet COP? What was the last authorized for award date? It's not in CAPR 39-3.

PHall

Quote from: arajca on September 19, 2010, 09:38:41 PM
What were the requirements for the Cadet COP? What was the last authorized for award date? It's not in CAPR 39-3.

Well, it was replaced by the Billy Mitchell Award. We're talking mid 60's here.

BillB

The Cadet COP was replaced by the Mitchell in 1964. Prior to that it could be earned with the same number of achievements as the current Spaatz by adding up to three clasps. (Achievements 7,8 and 9) The training is basically the same as the Mitchell but included learning Morse code and earning Red Cross First Aid certification. Many who look at the training manuals CAP Manual 1 Book 1 and 2, say the training was more in depth and aimed at a higher age group.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

ßτε

CAPR 39-3 ATTACHMENT 2 Page 29
QuoteCadet Awards
Frank Borman Falcon Award, Cadet Certificate of Proficiency or highest cadet award earned

James Shaw

Quote from: BradM on September 19, 2010, 02:50:43 AM
Or if that is out of the question, how about a CAP Air Medal that could go before the CAP Bronze Medal of Valor in order of precedence?

The idea of a CAP Air Achievement Medal was proposed several years ago. It was shot down in committee and has not resurfaced again since then. If I remember correctly the AF was not to keen on the idea.

After that the concept of the CAP Distinguished Flying Service Award was also presented and shot down.

The closest thing we have to that now is in the mix for the Uniform Committee to consider. It is the Air Patrol Award. It has wider criteria and would actually be applicable to more people.

Even if it were approved I sincerely doubt it would be approved to go before either of the MOV's. That has been in place since the late 50's and the committee would likely put it in a different place.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

arajca

Quote from: bte on September 19, 2010, 11:02:15 PM
CAPR 39-3 ATTACHMENT 2 Page 29
QuoteCadet Awards
Frank Borman Falcon Award, Cadet Certificate of Proficiency or highest cadet award earned
Fine. It's mentioned by name, however, unlike the Frank Borman Falcon Award, there is no criteria for having earned the CCOP.

SarDragon

It, unlike the Falcon Award, was an old program award, and the criteria are both buried in some historical archive, and and not germane to the current program.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret