CAP National Chief of Staff

Started by SIDEWINDER, December 07, 2006, 01:34:07 AM

SIDEWINDER

Civil Air Patrol's chief of staff resigns post.  CAP Col. Larry Kauffman, the Civil Air Patrol's National Chief of Staff, reportedly has resigned from that position effective Dec. 31.  Anyone have any insight on this resignation?

Monty

Larry Kaufman's done just about every job at the National Level...sort of like that bouncing staff member we all have at the squadron that has done one job or another since tocs started ticking.

Maybe 'ole boy needed a break.  :)

James Shaw

He is staying within CAP but "changing" to a different job. Will be good for CAP....he is a great guy!!!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

shorning

Ya know there, SIDEWINDER, I find it odd that you've been a member of CAP Talk for about a year, yet only have three posts.  And those are just ones to bring up trouble.  That doesn't include the posts of yours that have been deleted BTW.

So why should we care what you think or ask if you're not going to be a member of this community?

Go sling your dirt some where else...

James Shaw

Col. Kauffman is staying within CAP only in a different capacity. His skills will benefit us in the long run. Seems that some people in this forum are quick to point fingers before knowing the whole truth.
Jim Shaw

SIDEWINDER

Not pointing any fingers at all. I am sure the Col is a very good person and the impressions left by MG Pineda and all of the changes he has made in the last 12 months are questionable and that was the reason for this post...

lordmonar

Quote from: SIDEWINDER on December 10, 2006, 11:17:58 PM
Not pointing any fingers at all. I am sure the Col is a very good person and the impressions left by MG Pineda and all of the changes he has made in the last 12 months are questionable and that was the reason for this post...

Who's Col Kaufman's or MG Pineda's?

Does anyone know why Col Kaufman changed jobs?  Was he fired or did he change jobs for personal reasons?  Did he change jobs because he was really needed to fill his new job.  Did he quit his job because he did not like MG Pineda and his policies but was too good an officer to stab his boss in the back (that is called loyalty by the way)?

No...we got a lot of speculation and innuendo.  I don't agree with everything MG Pineda is doing, but I also know, that is his job not mine.  If I ever become a member of the NB then I would have a right to say something to the MG about it.  Until then I support down and challenge up.

I let rumors float by the wayside.  I got more important things to do with CAP than to toss our rumors about my boss.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: shorning on December 10, 2006, 06:45:22 PM
Ya know there, SIDEWINDER, I find it odd that you've been a member of CAP Talk for about a year, yet only have three posts.  And those are just ones to bring up trouble.  That doesn't include the posts of yours that have been deleted BTW.

So why should we care what you think or ask if you're not going to be a member of this community?

Go sling your dirt some where else...

'sidewinder' = vfespeed elsewhere, FYI

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

shorning

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on December 11, 2006, 03:53:41 AM
'sidewinder' = vfespeed elsewhere, FYI

Oh, that's rich!  And I was accused of not doing my research. 

Here's my challenge SIDEWINDER (BTW a "snake"?!? are you suggesting something?), say something positive about CAP.  I don't mean something like "they've really contributed a number of years to CAP".  No, I mean something 180° from your normal posts. 

It will be interesting to hear your response.

James Shaw

There are no problems between anyone in National with Col. Kaufman. He is taking another job within CAP that is just as important, or to me more important than what he had been doing. There is way to much negative "karma" about NHQ and it is getting to the point of being childish. If people feel that there are so many problems with NHQ and CAP in general than quit and join something else and let the rest of us who feel that it is a great organization to be associated with participate. No one has forced any member to VOLUNTEER there time or service. Volunteer "hence" can quit at any time. I see posts by people that have been members for months complain about it and those are generally the ones who don't identify themselves or want to be known. Anyt time you are associated with an organization this large than there are going to be problems. None of them will be changed tomorrow and a new one will pop up after that. Opinion is one thing but constantly bashing someone who is not able to defend themselves is another. If you have so many issues with NHQ than tell them and maybe they can fix them or you can offer suggestions. Find out the facts first Before creating the fiction.
Jim Shaw

MidwaySix

Col. K. was asked to manage the Consolidated Maintenance Program. Since this will be a paid gig w/ NHQ, he's stepping down from his volunteer position of CoS.

- M6

lordmonar

Quote from: MidwaySix on December 11, 2006, 03:52:04 PM
Col. K. was asked to manage the Consolidated Maintenance Program. Since this will be a paid gig w/ NHQ, he's stepping down from his volunteer position of CoS.

- M6

Thanks for the intel....see...no evil conspiracy...no one out to get anyone else....just a professional officer moving from one important job to another.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on December 11, 2006, 05:45:58 PM
Quote from: MidwaySix on December 11, 2006, 03:52:04 PM

- M6

Thanks for the intel....see...no evil conspiracy...no one out to get anyone else....just a professional officer moving from one important job to another.

Sounds fishy...  >:D

"That Others May Zoom"

captrncap

Quote from: lordmonar on December 11, 2006, 03:07:24 AMI don't agree with everything MG Pineda is doing, but I also know, that is his job not mine.  If I ever become a member of the NB then I would have a right to say something to the MG about it.  Until then I support down and challenge up.

I would challenge anyone to say they don't have a right to say something. This is OUR CAP. We have as much right to say what we want as any stockholder of a company.

We may not be able to vote at the National level but we should be heard. I'm not saying that always happens but the units are the core of CAP not NHQ or Wings.

lordmonar

Quote from: captrncap on December 11, 2006, 06:47:45 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 11, 2006, 03:07:24 AMI don't agree with everything MG Pineda is doing, but I also know, that is his job not mine.  If I ever become a member of the NB then I would have a right to say something to the MG about it.  Until then I support down and challenge up.

I would challenge anyone to say they don't have a right to say something. This is OUR CAP. We have as much right to say what we want as any stockholder of a company.

We may not be able to vote at the National level but we should be heard. I'm not saying that always happens but the units are the core of CAP not NHQ or Wings.

Sure you got a say....you also have a responsibilty as a leader to support the decisions of your commanders.  You challange up and support down.  You don't go onto a board and just fling rumors around.  You don't jump around and do everthing in your power to disrupt what the bosses are trying to do.  You send an E-mail or letter to your commander, group commander, wing commander and national commander explaining your position....but you keep your mouth shut in public.  That is called loyalty.

If you disagree with the the direction CAP is going you got three options.

1.  Support down and challeng up.
2.  Become a leader in the organisation and get yourself into a position where you do have an actual say in what goes on.
3. Quit.

I am not a leader beyond the squadron level.  I am in constant contact with my commander and I do give him an earful of what I think about the direction CAP is going and where I think it ought to go.  But in my squadron and with my cadets....I support the party line.

Smokey

Just a note on letting the wing commander know how you feel and expecting anything to happen.......Wing & Region commanders are an endangered species.  Under the current regime, a CC who protests the way things are going can find him (her)self suddenly unemployed so to speak. 

As for an e-mail to the Natl CC...been there , done that, waste of time.  More than a year ago I sent him an e-mail.....very respectfully and offering suggestions, my assistance (however little)  and in no way accusatory, condescending or critical of him......no response, not even a "read" message.

My bet is , those e-mails aren't even read before the delete button is hit.

But I do agree with you (shocking I know) about flinging rumors, and airing dirty laundry.  For the most part, what we hear here is the only way to know though what is going on.  The Exec open cockpit is useless (last one in Aug) .  I do not condone rumors & innuendo.  But I do support an informed membership.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

mawr

Smokey, I ask this as sincerely as I can.  Did you send your email through proper chain of command?  If not, that could be the reason for the lack of response. 

I've had a similar response from Wing CC's in my region when I was participating on the (then) National Recruiting and Retention Subcommittee.  I could not ascertain the contact information on several Wing's staff members so I was left with no choice but to contact the Commanders directly.  I only recieved one response. 

I imagine that they felt that my query did not go through proper chain of command.  I know how busy Wing CC's can be and I can only that the NAT CC is even busier.
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

Smokey

For the Group and Wing CC.....I did go through channels....I was on staff of both at the time.

Right now, even through channels, Wing & Region commanders are afraid to speak up.  No one wants to be the head on the chopping block.

As for the e-mail to the Natl CC.....it was just a friendly  sort of e-mail, nothing that would go through chain of command type stuff.

I heard of some "issues" and offered a helping hand since the Gen & I are in the same line of work.  The  e-mail mentioned some things I had noticed and I offered some assistance. 

But thanks for your input.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

shorning

Quote from: Smokey on December 11, 2006, 10:42:29 PM
But I do agree with you (shocking I know) about flinging rumors, and airing dirty laundry.  For the most part, what we hear here is the only way to know though what is going on.  The Exec open cockpit is useless (last one in Aug) .  I do not condone rumors & innuendo.  But I do support an informed membership.

Running for office? ;)

JohnKachenmeister

CAP's new motto:

"If you haven't heard a rumor by 1100 hours, start one over lunch!"
Another former CAP officer

Hammer

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 12, 2006, 01:59:51 AM
CAP's new motto:

"If you haven't heard a rumor by 1100 hours, start one over lunch!"

Sounds like High School...