Activity Cost: Cadet vs. SM

Started by DBlair, August 31, 2010, 04:47:58 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: DBlair on August 31, 2010, 10:04:43 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 31, 2010, 09:43:14 PM
I think the major beef here is that the costs were not advertised properly to the Senior Membership.

Agreed.

There are two main issues:

1) General Issue: SMs having to pay substantially more.

2) Specific Issue: After a SM agreed to drive the Cadets, and the Cadets' applications being based on having this transportation, it was discovered that the SMs have to pay substantially more than the Ops Order dictates. Thus, the SM is essentially in a tough spot as the Cadets are all depending on him to drive, but he wasn't expecting to pay such a high cost when the original plans were made.

Sounds like those cadets need to pony up a few bucks to cover the transport costs, or get mom and dad to drive them - there are no free rides.

With that said, this is clearly nothing more than a communication issue, or a failure of the activity director to send the provide the proper costing information.  I have no time for the "seniors are already taking time off work, blah, blah, blah..." discussions - that's when CAP happens, either you can play or you can't, but we're all in the same boat.

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on August 31, 2010, 10:38:49 PM
Quote from: DBlair on August 31, 2010, 10:04:43 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 31, 2010, 09:43:14 PM
I think the major beef here is that the costs were not advertised properly to the Senior Membership.

Agreed.

There are two main issues:

1) General Issue: SMs having to pay substantially more.

2) Specific Issue: After a SM agreed to drive the Cadets, and the Cadets' applications being based on having this transportation, it was discovered that the SMs have to pay substantially more than the Ops Order dictates. Thus, the SM is essentially in a tough spot as the Cadets are all depending on him to drive, but he wasn't expecting to pay such a high cost when the original plans were made.

Sounds like those cadets need to pony up a few bucks to cover the transport costs, or get mom and dad to drive them - there are no free rides.

With that said, this is clearly nothing more than a communication issue, or a failure of the activity director to send the provide the proper costing information.  I have no time for the "seniors are already taking time off work, blah, blah, blah..." discussions - that's when CAP happens, either you can play or you can't, but we're all in the same boat.

The Cadets are already being made to split the cost of gas to the activity, that isn't really the issue as they are fine with that.

Rather, the concern is how much the SM has to personally pay out of pocket to attend. The ops order stated "Cost this year will be $50.00 per person" but the Activity Director is stating this was only for Cadets (due to available funds lowering cost) and that SMs have to pay the full amount for their own hotel, food, etc.

Due to the distance, it doesn't seem logical for the SM to drive several hours each way just to then do it again a few days later (total of 4 trips), so realistically, the SM would have to attend.

I just feel that we are going to sour a good SM by imposing this high cost *after* he was locked in to driving the Cadets, rather than the rate on the ops order as was expected.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

DBlair

At a meeting tonight, members suggested this as a solution...

Since the Cadets are already contributing money for gas, perhaps they can add a bit more to help cover the SM's cost of attendance.

Is there anything prohibitive against this?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: DBlair on September 01, 2010, 03:07:17 AM
At a meeting tonight, members suggested this as a solution...

Since the Cadets are already contributing money for gas, perhaps they can add a bit more to help cover the SM's cost of attendance.

Is there anything prohibitive against this?

For most cadets, it's most likely the parents money. If they don't like it, they can drive the cadets...like my parents did until I could drive myself. Parent carpool also makes sense. One parent takes them, another takes them back. I had that working with a fellow cadet/friend for about three years before finally turning 16. The burden on his parents became easier, since for six months it was only them driving him, and was easier on my parents, since they would alternate weeks for meetings and do pick up/drop off for activities.

GTCommando

Never heard of it being done where I come from. Usually, when our squadron conducts an activity, usually for ES, we actually don't charge attendees anything, seeing how you can reserve a campsite for free and GTMs are supposed to carry enough gear and supplies to last through a weekend.  ;)

When it comes to things such as encampments, it's usually the exact same price for both around here. Senior Members take the same amount of sleeping space, only slightly if any more food, etc. as a cadet. On the other hand, the logic behind increased prices could be that most adults have jobs, and can there afford more expenses. However, even for an encampment, cadets or seniors, anything over 200 clams is outrageous, and way too much to expect of volunteers with families.  >:( 
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Johnny Yuma

I've never heard of a Region setting a fixed cost for encampments and frankly I can't see how one could as a practical matter.

Each Wing has a unique set of logistical capabilities to put an encampment on. One Wing might be able to secure free .mil dormitories and cheap food while another Wing might be lucky to rent some college dorms and have to have meals catered in at $5/ head per meal. How any Region could hard set cadet encampment fees arbitrarily, especially a cost that low and expect results I dunno. Kansas has a Winter encampment and I believe they get the barracks free of charge.  They couldn't afford to feed all the kids alone on $50/cadet and food costs out here are far cheaper than most.

Most all of the encampments I've been to have charged the Seniors less because of the reasons already stated, although I don't believe the whole cost to have seniors there should ride on the cadet's shoulders. Senior member costs should cover meals and lodging, if the encampment has to rent barracks/dormitory space. Cadet encampment costs should bear their own meals, lodging and all other expenses.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Capt Rivera

Most "Cadet Activities" I go to ... I'm going to support the cadets... Personally, If i have to take time off from work, it bothers me to have to pay the same or more then other cadets.

I gave feedback several ways... I let the appropriate people know how I felt... and didn't assist with things that didnt feel right... I have not noticed SMs being charged more then cadets at an encampment in ND since... (not that I monitor it)
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

a2capt

I've never seen a SM/Staff price more than the event price here in CAWG. That would raise my ire as well. At least it would if there were not an explanation affixed, such as "the cadet primary attendance prices are being offset by an (anonymous) (or whatever) contribution from (such and such)" and the set cost otherwise wasn't something out of the normal range for what we're getting anyway.