Col Tilton Reinstated to BoG!

Started by Kipper, August 24, 2010, 09:33:24 PM

FW

Um, may we keep the discussion civil?  Lt Col Lee is a dedicated member who has spent many of his discretionary hours and dollars on CAP and our Cadets.  He is a highly respected member who is a wonderful role model for all of us. 

Col Tilton is also a dedicated member who has served with dedication and honor and, holds the same respect with his peers as Ned. He is a gentleman and, has done nothing other than serve CAP selflessly.

For the MARB, this was not a "personality" thing; it was a "process" thing.  It's about adherence to rules and principles. 

Майор Хаткевич

Being "ignant" of most of the process with our dozen ruling bodies, what was the original reason given for removal?

MSG Mac

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 25, 2010, 12:59:23 PM
Being "ignant" of most of the process with our dozen ruling bodies, what was the original reason given for removal?

AdversePersonnel actions are considered confidential and are not disclosed.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 25, 2010, 05:33:35 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 25, 2010, 12:59:23 PM

AdversePersonnel actions are considered confidential and are not disclosed.

And that's where the ignorance comes in. What would be disclosed from the proceedings then, as was posted above?

FW

MARB actions are not confidential.  They are published on eservices after the report goes to the BoG. All the report will say is why there was an appeal, what and why the MARB decided and, what action was taken, if any.  It will not go into any aspects of investigations or 121 issues.

MSG Mac

The MARB actions are not confidential. The initial reasons for dismissal were because it's an adverse action against the member. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Westernslope

Quote from: Pace on August 25, 2010, 04:07:26 AM
Politics and red tape aside, Col Tilton is a great guy, resourceful leader, and humble volunteer.  I, personally, am glad to see him back at the reins.

I agree. Even after his removal from the BOG, Col Tilton continued to serve CAP with integrity and honor by supporting activities such as O flights, counter drug missions, Deepwater Horizon oil spill missions, as well as other Wing and squadron events. His leadership is exemplified in his professionalism and dignity.

The MARB actions reinforce that the CAP system of checks and balances works. I am very glad that this issue is now settled and FINISHED....especially before the upcoming National Board meeting.

I also think that Col Lee has served, and will continue to serve, with integrity and honor. Perhaps when Col Tilton rotates off the BOG, Col Lee will be standing ready.

RiverAux

It will be interesting to read exactly what the MARB thought the NEC did wrong here.  They did take a vote on it and decide to remove him after all.  That being the case, I can't see the logic in reinstating him unless there was a flaw in the procedure to remove him.  I don't recall seeing a successful MARB appeal except those where the proper procedure was not followed -- the "retaliation" complaints never seem to win. 

NIN

Quote from: RiverAux on August 26, 2010, 02:55:07 AM
It will be interesting to read exactly what the MARB thought the NEC did wrong here.  They did take a vote on it and decide to remove him after all.  That being the case, I can't see the logic in reinstating him unless there was a flaw in the procedure to remove him.  I don't recall seeing a successful MARB appeal except those where the proper procedure was not followed -- the "retaliation" complaints never seem to win.

They do when its a clear case of retaliation. I've seen that one.

However, in CAP, that can be a hard one to prove without some kind of smoking gun evidence.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

FW

It's almost impossible to prove retaliation.  For retaliation, you must show there was a threat before an action.  As, if you don't do this (which is against your principles) you will be removed, relieved, terminated or whatever. 

It is much easier to prove a material failure to obey the regulations or a failure to provide due process.  There are usually written records which show these. 

In a MARB appeal, it is the appealant which must show this proof. To the MARB, you are guilty until proved otherwise. 

a2capt

...and Ned has been good, and quiet, for he usually adds to these threads very often.

Pace

Just to add on my original comment: I think very highly of Col Lee, as well.  He has the same outstanding character traits as Col Tilton.  I simply am glad to see that Col Tilton was exonerated and being given a chance to complete the assignment for which he was wrongfully relieved.  I hope, in the future, Col Lee is given the same opportunity to finish out his tenure on the BoG.
Lt Col, CAP

Westernslope

The MARB reinstated Col Tilton and the ruling of the MARB is supposed to be final. So why is Col Lee still on the BOG and Col Tilton is not? In another thread someone said that Col Tilton would be reinstated at the Dec BOG meeting and until then Col Lee would remain. 

I understand that the MARB report will be available in Dec but if they felt Col Tilton was improperly removed, his reinstatement should be immediate.

Are there other games in play or is this normal procedure? Can anyone shed light on what it going on?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

So, where is the report from this MARB case?

a2capt

Quote from: Kipper on August 24, 2010, 09:33:24 PMThis just in... the MARB has ruled, and Col Tilton is back on the Board of Governors!
Was that exact ruling/decision/whatever actually posted anywhere, or just hear-say/interpretation based on the MARB ruling that the BoG would reciprocate?
I'm otherwise very much satisfied with Ned on the BoG. Someone who connects with whats really going on out there.

JeffDG

Quote from: a2capt on January 11, 2011, 07:07:06 PM
Quote from: Kipper on August 24, 2010, 09:33:24 PMThis just in... the MARB has ruled, and Col Tilton is back on the Board of Governors!
Was that exact ruling/decision/whatever actually posted anywhere, or just hear-say/interpretation based on the MARB ruling that the BoG would reciprocate?
I'm otherwise very much satisfied with Ned on the BoG. Someone who connects with whats really going on out there.

Well, there was this post early in the thread:
Quote from: FW on August 25, 2010, 12:50:39 AM
Wow! That was fast.  The letter went out to Col Tilton and, those concerned, just a few hours ago.  The report will not be officially presented on e-services until after it is presented to the BoG in December.   However, I'm pretty sure the National Board will get a copy of the personnel action in the next day or so.

I too have no quarrel with the current member of the BoG, but am curious about the arguments and decision in this case.

FW

The BoG clarified CAPR 35-8.  The "at the sole discretion of the MARB" clause was deemed to be inconsistent with the CAP C&BLs.  Soo, the MARB did not have the authority to hear the appeal. 
End of discussion.