Achievement Award Template

Started by DBlair, August 03, 2010, 06:44:07 AM

DBlair

Speaking to a certain Group Commander recently, he mentioned the problem with awarding Achievement Awards is that Group has to fill in the award certificate.

While they have the certificates, they do not have a computer template through which to print the award details on the certificate.

Any thoughts or guidance?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

tsrup

If only there was a technique around that would allow for written language to be applied to paper without the use of a printer...

I know all of my achievement awards (3 of them now...) are hand written.  The don't look too shabby either, and I think I appreciate it more because someone actually took the time to write it out.  Even the one where thy misspelt my name...
Paramedic
hang-around.

DBlair

From what it seems, the hand-written option is the most common for the Achievement Award.

It would be nice, though, for there to be a template where someone could enter the details into the computer, put the certificate in the printer, and print it out with the details all in the right places, etc.

I've heard that with some other awards, there are such computer templates, and so I was curious if anyone knew of any such thing for this award. While I'm not against hand-writing, with some of the penmanship I've seen some members have, the printed option might be a good idea.

tsrup

Quote from: DBlair on August 03, 2010, 07:13:47 AM
While I'm not against hand-writing, with some of the penmanship I've seen some members have, the printed option might be a good idea.

No contest there..

I think templates for the achievement award hasn't caught on because of the size of the certificate.  They seem to be just outside the margins of all the printers I've encountered within my wing.  Of course thats not indicative of everywhere else.  And while that also means that it would be outside the margins for a regular 'ole Word template, but I don't put it past the membership to have found away around it.  (seems rather simple if someone devoted 10 minutes to do it..)
Paramedic
hang-around.

DBlair

Quote from: tsrup on August 03, 2010, 07:22:05 AM
While I'm not against hand-writing, with some of the penmanship I've seen some members have, the printed option might be a good idea.

I think templates for the achievement award hasn't caught on because of the size of the certificate.

I haven't actually seen the Achievement Award certificate, are they the same size as Commander's Commendations (11x14) or are they normal paper (8.5x11) size?

tsrup

Quote from: DBlair on August 03, 2010, 07:30:41 AM
Quote from: tsrup on August 03, 2010, 07:22:05 AM

I think templates for the achievement award hasn't caught on because of the size of the certificate.

I haven't actually seen the Achievement Award certificate, are they the same size as Commander's Commendations (11x14) or are they normal paper (8.5x11) size?

Same as the Commander's Commendation  (11x14)
Paramedic
hang-around.

SarDragon

Make your own Template in Word.

Define a custom paper size
Scan the cert, inport into the doc, and size as needed
Change the text wrapping to Behind Text
Lay out the text boxes where you want them
Save the file as a template
Delete the scanned graphic
Resave

Voila! A certificate template.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DBlair

Thanks for providing the necessary steps.

I wonder if anyone has a scanner or printer capable of that size, I've found most to be in the range of 8.5x11. I'm guessing this will be something needed to be done by Kinkos or a print shop.