Multiple NESA Sessions=Multiple NCSA Ribbon Credit?

Started by SKI304, August 02, 2010, 03:14:28 PM

SKI304

Usually I'm pretty good at all things CAPR 39-3 related, but I did stumble upon a gray area recently.   Here's the dilemma: if a member was to attend Week 1 and 2 of NESA in the same year, would they receive just the basic NCSA ribbon or the ribbon and their first bronze star attachment as well?  I had a few members complete both sessions this year, and I want to make sure we process their award correctly.  Hopefully, some of you have had some experience with this.  As always, any help is greatly appreciated.  :)
BILL HRINKO, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Youngstown ARS Composite Squadron

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SKI304

Quote from: Eclipse on August 02, 2010, 03:24:04 PM
1 ribbon.

That was my original answer to the question as well.  However, the more I thought about it, the more I started to second guess my decision.  IIRC, each week of NESA is it's own stand alone activity in the sense that the weeks can be mutually exclusive of each other.  You can go to either week with pretty much the same offerings since the individual schools just start over.  They just run back to back, which would essentially be attending NESA twice in one summer.  This seems to be the same scenario as a member who attended both Space Command Familiarization Courses, both SUPT Familiarization Courses, or even attended multiple encampments in one summer.  If they would get multiple awards for that, why not both weeks of NESA?  Am I thinking in the right direction, or am I totally off my rocker with that logic?
BILL HRINKO, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Youngstown ARS Composite Squadron

Eclipse

There are several individual schools within NESA each year.  "NESA" is a single event, whether you go to 1 school or three.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

I would disagree....they are seperate events.

Two ribbons.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Mustang

"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Mustang on August 03, 2010, 09:46:47 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on August 02, 2010, 05:53:22 PM
I would disagree....they are seperate events.

Two ribbons.
Or a ribbon and a clasp. ;)

Which is the same really. A cadet that goes to three NCSAs gets a "ribbon" for each, but the second and third are in a  form of a clasp.

CAP Producer

NESA issues a Personnel Authorization for each week's training session indicating award of the ribbon and patch. If he has 2 of these (showing that he participated in each week) then he should wear the basic ribbon with a bronze propeller device (clasp).
AL PABON, Major, CAP

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Mustang

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 03, 2010, 01:42:58 PM

Which is the same really. A cadet that goes to three NCSAs gets a "ribbon" for each, but the second and third are in a  form of a clasp.

"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Mustang on August 03, 2010, 07:22:24 PM

Capt. Obvious

Just defending the position that it is in fact two ribbons...

DakRadz

Quote from: Mustang on August 03, 2010, 07:22:24 PM

CAPT Obvious
:clap:
Saved to hard disk.  >:D

Eclipse

Has anyone hit NHQ on this?

Its one activity and should be one ribbon.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on August 04, 2010, 03:49:36 AM

OK, let's look at SM Schmuckatelli attending class A in 2008 and class B in 2009, vs. the same guy attending the two classes consecutively in 2010.

Does he get two awards for separate attendance? If so, why not get two awards for attending the same two classes under slightly different circumstances?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

No...it is two activities...held back to back.

If it were just one activiity then it would not matter if you went to it five years in a row or five weeks in a row!

Each week is a distinct seperate activity that requires two applications.  Each week is a different course.

I guess it would be one activity if your repeated the same course (say GSAR basic course) but that almost never happens.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Cobra1597

By that logic, it shouldn't be possible to earn clasps for the Encampment ribbon...

If I'm understanding you correctly.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Cobra1597 on August 04, 2010, 08:42:28 AM

By that logic, it shouldn't be possible to earn clasps for the Encampment ribbon...

If I'm understanding you correctly.

I think the logic, which I don't agree with, is that you get a ribbon for NESA 2010, not a GTM course 1 and GTM course 2.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on August 04, 2010, 06:15:48 AM
Does he get two awards for separate attendance? If so, why not get two awards for attending the same two classes under slightly different circumstances?

Because a big part of any CAP activity is peeling yourself from the groove in the couch and getting yourself there.

I see it as one activity, but anyone who believes otherwise without being afraid of losing 1/2 their attachments should just ask NHQ or one of the staff. 

Or, how many attachments do staff get?

"That Others May Zoom"

Cms.sloane

Well I emailed NHQ about that issue and they responded with the answer that's it is one ribbon and one bronze clasp. Becuase it is more than one activity of you break up the two weeks. You could either go one week or the other week. Puting the two weeks together would just equal two different activities.

DakRadz

Quote from: Cms.sloane on August 04, 2010, 04:49:46 PM
Well I emailed NHQ about that issue and they responded with the answer that's it is one ribbon and one bronze clasp. Becuase it is more than one activity of you break up the two weeks. You could either go one week or the other week. Puting the two weeks together would just equal two different activities.

+1 for the brave cadet NCO :D

NHQ has been asked, and responded. Sounds like no one loses attachments over this one.

Cadet Sloane, I'll ask before others do- could you please post the email NHQ sent you with this information? Thanks!