Main Menu

IAOD

Started by RVT, July 16, 2010, 11:03:36 PM

RVT

I figured out what it means, but I don't know what the letters stand for.

I seem so see (at least at our group HQ) an even mix of people actually assigned exclusively to group and those detailed from various squadrons.

I can think of a number of reasons why people would be double slotted like that - and all I can figure out so far is that "IAOD" beans you have a staff job at a unit you are not actually assigned to.  So how many of you are double slotted and how did that come about?  Someone try to recruit you out of a unit you didn't want to leave?  Just time to move up?  Just couldn't find enough CAP stuff to do?

I could be doing that myself by the end of the year so I'm curious to know how it works.

dwb

The acronym I normally see is ADY, for Additional Duty.  It's not unusual for people assigned to squadrons to do ADY at Group or Wing.

For example, our Group Logistics Officer is the Deputy Commander of his squadron, but since I was able to browbeat him into helping us out on the Group staff, he took a position that he was able to squeeze in amongst his squadron duties.

lordmonar

Individual Assigned Other Duties?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

In Addition to Other Duties

I have one on Group staff, and another on wing staff, but remain assigned to my local unit.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

The problem with IAOD is that it tends to propagate the already inbred and circular reporting structures CAP has.

"Do I report to you or do you report to me?"

"Depends, what are we talking about?  Property or cadets?"

It can also create conflicts of interest if the person is basically self-supervising for a lower echelon.

The practical reality, however, is that we only have so many names on the page, so things get muddy.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2010, 11:48:23 PM
The practical reality, however, is that we only have so many names on the page, so things get muddy.
And sometimes have too many slots that we're trying to fill in the first place..