Specialty Badge Placement

Started by kd8gua, July 13, 2010, 06:41:52 AM

kd8gua

I have read 39-1 many times, as well as the ICLs, so I know the gray areas, the areas that need a flashlight, and those that need to be completely re-written. However, one thing I have yet to figure out regards placement of specialty badges on the blues. Either service coat or shirt.

I understand that on the shirt there are four locations badges may be placed: on either of the pockets or above either pocket. The service coat allows for the same four relative positions for placement of badges, of course not exceeding the maximum number authorized on either. What is not addressed, at least in my readings of the 39-1, is what badges are acceptable in what locations?

I'm under the impression that only aeronautical wings and USAF-style badges (GT, EMT, chaplain, etc.) are acceptable above the ribbons/left breast pocket. Is this correct? If so, that would leave the area below the pocket flap on the service coat/left breast pocket for other shapes of badges (shield shapes for Comm, ES; rounded shapes for Cadet programs, Nat'l Board.). At the same time, the right breast pocket location/area below nameplate on service coat, would also be for these other styles of badges. But, with the Commander's badge, and its location above the nameplate, does that mean only the commander's badge can be worn there? Or can non-commanders wear a specialty badge? I guess the final question would be: Is there an unwritten "pecking" order if you will? For example: A member gains a tech rating in ES (first badge to be earned for this member). Is it preferred that this badge go on the left pocket? Or do people not really care what location it would be placed, as long as it is placed within reg guidelines?
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

Capt_Redfox30

Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Eclipse

Wings and GT go aboves the ribbons, specialty below.

You can wear specialty (i.e. cadet programs) badges above the nametag, but it looks bizzare, I'm not a big fan.

There's no pecking order or specification as to where the badges go, mix and match to your hearts content.

I generally only wear one, but will occasionally change it if the audience of the activity is more geared towards a different specialty
(i.e. CPO at encampment, ES at an ES conference, etc.), my guess would be I am the only who even notices most of the time.

"That Others May Zoom"

RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on July 13, 2010, 02:53:00 PMYou can wear specialty (i.e. cadet programs) badges above the nametag, but it looks bizzare, I'm not a big fan.

Specialty badges above the nameplate on the service coat look even more bizarre if you are wearing one on the other side - which goes UNDER the ribbons.  Even stranger when you consider the shirt has that same badge under the name plate.  Any idea why its like that?