BBDU Trouser Question

Started by Nilsog, June 19, 2010, 01:19:59 AM

Nilsog

I couldn't really find anything regarding BBDU trousers in 39-1 so I come to you to ask-

Is it required that BBDU wearers where actual BDU trouser colored blue, or could you wear a pair of 5.11 EMS pants which are very similar only with some extra stuff on the cargo pockets. I only ask because I wear these for work and it would save me money on an extra set of pants, and they are much more comfortable. Only thing I'm worried about is the shade being off... which I can't check right now.
Kenneth Goslin
1st Lt., CAP

HGjunkie

Well, as long as nothing screams "OUT OF UNIFORM," I guess that you could IF the shades match up.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

HGjunkie

I'm gonna change my last post and say;

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

BGNightfall

The trousers appear to be of better construction, and more practical than the current BBDU trousers, so it pains me to answer in the negative.  The cut and appearance is not in keeping with the other aspects of the BBDU uniform.   Basically, it would look like a mis-mash, and even if the colors are the same the material probably is not. 

FlyerJosh

Although 39-1 doesn't specifically address it, there is commentary in the reg about authorized places to obtain uniforms. Since none of the authorized vendors of uniforms sell EMT pants, I would say no. The only authorized BBDU combinations would be sold through vanguard.

Hawk200

Quote from: FlyerJosh on June 19, 2010, 04:02:28 AM
The only authorized BBDU combinations would be sold through vanguard.
Not quite. Blue BDUs are available just about anywhere. And the pub doesn't say that they can only be purchased from Vanguard.

a2capt

I don't read that as saying that Vanguard is the only authorized source, but rather to use them as a guide as to what is "authorized" as they don't sell anything but what is authorized.

So, if the EMT place sells what Vanguard sells, buy it there.

FlyerJosh

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 19, 2010, 04:15:38 AM
Not quite. Blue BDUs are available just about anywhere. And the pub doesn't say that they can only be purchased from Vanguard.

You're right of course. There are plenty of places that sell blue BDU's. However the manual does specify certain requirements for those commercial sources. (CAPR 39-1, para 1-8)

If you interpret the manual literally, Vanguard would be the only "legal" place since BBDU's are not "official" air force uniforms, and as such don't have the applicable tags required by the reg. That said, there are plenty of "unauthorized" BDU sets out there (including OD Green), that are deemed acceptable by local commanders.

Following the spirit of the regulation, one should purchase uniform items (regardless of the source) that match the style, configuration, and color of those depicted by 39-1 and in general use by all members of CAP. "Generic blue BDU's" fit that description, but EMT specific pants most likely do not.

Hawk200

Quote from: FlyerJosh on June 19, 2010, 04:26:13 AM
You're right of course. There are plenty of places that sell blue BDU's. However the manual does specify certain requirements for those commercial sources. (CAPR 39-1, para 1-8)
Yes, it does. It does not state that they may only be purchased from Vanguard, only that they meet a specific criteria.

Quote from: FlyerJosh on June 19, 2010, 04:26:13 AMIf you interpret the manual literally, Vanguard would be the only "legal" place since BBDU's are not "official" air force uniforms, and as such don't have the applicable tags required by the reg.
No, it wouldn't be the only legal place. As long as the uniform was a legitimate BDU, it would be fine. The biggest concerns are whether the material and color match.

And BDUs don't have an Air Force tag because they are not an Air Force developed or controlled uniform.

That said, there are plenty of "unauthorized" BDU sets out there (including OD Green), that are deemed acceptable by local commanders.
I don't know which commanders you're dealing with, but a a BDU that is solid OD is not an acceptable uniform. The acceptable ones are woodland camoflage, or blue.

Quote from: FlyerJosh on June 19, 2010, 04:26:13 AM...one should purchase uniform items (regardless of the source) that match the style, configuration, and color of those depicted by 39-1 and in general use by all members of CAP.
Agreed.

"Generic blue BDU's" fit that description, but EMT specific pants most likely do not.
Correct. But EMT pants aren't "not authorized" for the reason that they aren't sold by Vanguard. They are just not authorized at all. Just because Vanguard sells something doesn't mean the item is permitted.

JC004

Quote from: a2capt on June 19, 2010, 04:21:54 AM
I don't read that as saying that Vanguard is the only authorized source, but rather to use them as a guide as to what is "authorized" as they don't sell anything but what is authorized.

I don't know about THAT.  They're selling the Triangle Thingy, which was never authorized by any of our governing bodies or addressed as a change to the current regulation on this.

That said, aren't they still using that disclaimer from the Bookstore/CAPMart about it basically being the member's responsibility to make sure what they're buying is authorized?  I remember seeing it on some pages a while back. 

Either way, for sure I think that it would violate the intent of the regulation manual to wear a different style. 

tsrup

Barney style

The BBDU is just that:  A Blue BDU.

So, You are looking for a uniform that is of the BDU cut and style and is Blue.  The EMT pants are not.

It would be safe to say that if you buy the correct shade of Blue in a BDU cut and style that you are within regulations.  These are available from many different sources.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Nilsog

The 5.11 pants are a much more rugged and comfortable design, otherwise I wouldn't ask. Thanks for the input.
Kenneth Goslin
1st Lt., CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: Nilsog on June 19, 2010, 08:29:33 AM
The 5.11 pants are a much more rugged and comfortable design, otherwise I wouldn't ask. Thanks for the input.
Yeah, they are. Got several pairs that I wear, they're long lasting and comfy.

I think the 5.11 Tac pants and the complementary shirt would actually make a good uniform, but it's just something that we don't wear for CAP. Would be nice.