Arkansas Flash Flood

Started by PHall, June 13, 2010, 03:57:46 AM

CommGeek

here is the issue.  in 'Anomaly' mode it picks out everything that 'dosent belong'  I have argued this since the beginning that that is a really bad idea.  Now your going to have to legally investigate all the old cars,washing machines, trash, and crap in the woods.  you really have no idea how much of this trash is out there...especially after a flash flood.   Are we prepared to open that can of worms?

Short Field

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 16, 2010, 06:29:51 PM
I don't think its a matter of pickin out "body" as much as "something that doesn't match the surroundings". From what I've seen, yes the resolution is that good (depending on altitude, lighting, etc.).
Are you talking about the Black & White sensor or the HSI sensor?   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

PHall

From what I have been told by real live Archer operators, the system does a pretty good job of separating biologicals (bodies, human and animal) from organics (plants). And inorganics (i.e. those washing machines) show up pretty good too.

HGjunkie

Quote from: PHall on June 17, 2010, 02:53:16 AM
From what I have been told by real live Archer operators, the system does a pretty good job of separating biologicals (bodies, human and animal) from organics (plants). And inorganics (i.e. those washing machines) show up pretty good too.
Dadgum washing machines. ;)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

PHall

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 17, 2010, 02:56:00 AM
Quote from: PHall on June 17, 2010, 02:53:16 AM
Dadgum washing machines. ;)

You would be amazed how much an old washing machine or refrigerator, strewn across an hillside after being pushed off the side of a road, looks like aircraft wreckage from the air.
We have more then a couple around here (Southern California) that have been visited by ground teams just to verify what they really are. And hopfully they got a red or orange "X" painted on them so we won't waste our time on them again sometime in the future.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: cap235629 on June 13, 2010, 05:21:08 PM

This is where we train.  This is our backyard.  RM please don't back seat drive this one.  IF the Sheriff calls, we will be there. 

In Arkansas the Sheriff is basically the king of the County.  What he wants to happen is the only thing that will happen.  Even though most of this area is in a National Forest, the Sheriff still calls the shots.

Looks like the local/district amateur radio ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) group were major players in providing communications support for searchers.

See the ARRL release:
http://www.arrl.org/news/amateurs-in-arkansas-provide-support-to-local-authorities-after-flood-kills-20

Unfortuanately, in CAP ES, there's a lot of talkers with all those BDU's uniforms & green flight suits, and black boots, "playing" around in their fantasy world of military make believe >:(.    So the hams (that get a training program of about 3 to 5 formal hours) with basically orange vests & ARES ball caps get called to "get the job done" :clap: and CAP'ers sit on the side line waiting to be called. :(

I think for CAP in that area it should be a wakeup call to start a good ES outreach program.  Those of you that really think you are going to be called because you/we are CAP are living in a make believe world  :(

RM   

SarDragon

My area is the same way. The Sheriff owns the bat, the ball, and the playground. You don't play unless he sez so. A while back, CAP and the Sheriff's Dept didn't get along, and we didn't get to do a whole lot beyond ELT searches. The relationship has improved, but it's still their call regarding CAP involvement. It sux, but that's life in the big city.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 18, 2010, 03:17:28 AM

This is where we train.  This is our backyard.  RM please don't back seat drive this one.  IF the Sheriff calls, we will be there. 

In Arkansas the Sheriff is basically the king of the County.  What he wants to happen is the only thing that will happen.  Even though most of this area is in a National Forest, the Sheriff still calls the shots.

Looks like the local/district amateur radio ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) group were major players in providing communications support for searchers.

See the ARRL release:
http://www.arrl.org/news/amateurs-in-arkansas-provide-support-to-local-authorities-after-flood-kills-20

Unfortuanately, in CAP ES, there's a lot of talkers with all those BDU's uniforms & green flight suits, and black boots, "playing" around in their fantasy world of military make believe >:(.    So the hams (that get a training program of about 3 to 5 formal hours) with basically orange vests & ARES ball caps get called to "get the job done" :clap: and CAP'ers sit on the side line waiting to be called. :(

I think for CAP in that area it should be a wakeup call to start a good ES outreach program.  Those of you that really think you are going to be called because you/we are CAP are living in a make believe world  :(

RM   

RM

You still prove your ignorance with every post.  ARES was called in by the Sheriff because they needed COMMUNICATIONS Support.  CAP has Comm Capabilities but it is not a primary ES mission.

If you really want to see how CAP fits in in Arkansas, click here Arkansas Emergency Operations Plan

CAP is listed in this plan more times than I care to count.  You have no idea how things are done here so please just shut up.

I have been active in 2 wings during my career.  Arkansas is hands down more integrated with Emergency Services than Massachusetts and from what I can see in surrounding states, the same applies.

Respect those that do answer the call, whatever it may be, and shut up.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: cap235629 on June 18, 2010, 03:27:23 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 18, 2010, 03:17:28 AM

See the ARRL release:

RM   

RM

You still prove your ignorance with every post.  ARES was called in by the Sheriff because they needed COMMUNICATIONS Support.  CAP has Comm Capabilities but it is not a primary ES mission.

If you really want to see how CAP fits in in Arkansas, click here Arkansas Emergency Operations Plan

CAP is listed in this plan more times than I care to count.  You have no idea how things are done here so please just shut up.

I have been active in 2 wings during my career.  Arkansas is hands down more integrated with Emergency Services than Massachusetts and from what I can see in surrounding states, the same applies.

Respect those that do answer the call, whatever it may be, and shut up.

Your the guy who made the original post about your back yard.
BTW I'm a ham operator also & basically turn away doing things with the hams most of the time since I really have more of an interest in CAP.  IF I didn't I would have a lot of emergency support activities to assist ARES in.  So I DO RESPECT THE HAMS (cause I'm one of them also)!!!

My whole point is it is a real challenge getting some (maybe many) officials to recognize what CAP ES can help them with.   Sometimes we may have to start small with simple things like base camp support
e.g. handing out water bottles.   Also more Joint type exercises with the locals.  Once they have a "trust" in CAP we have a better chance of being called.

The entire ES uniform subject has already been brought up in CA wing and again the use of BDU's may be a detriment to more involvement with more local civilian type emergencies.  That question does have to be brought to the table, no matter how painful it might be for some CAP'ers who love those BDU's :angel:     

Again I'd like to point out that YOU stated that was your "playing area", unfortunately as far as that sheriff was concerned you weren't a "player" in this operation.   
RM