Daniel

C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Daniel L on June 11, 2010, 12:51:50 PM
Greetings gentlemen,

It is apparent that none of you are from the entire wing of Missouri.  I just sent my BDU blouse in to have to pockets sewn shut.

I always iron and starch because, its required.

Iron yes. Light Starch, sure. Required? Cite that.

I've had my top pockets sewn down back in the day. Mainly so the buttons don't burn through with time, and they don't flap. As well as being pretty much useless.

I kept my bottom pockets whole, and it has been helpful on GT excursions.

What I think we're talking about here is the C/Doink who soaks his cover in starch, and then can use it as a signal mirror. Most of us have seen that. They can also use it as a dog bowl during rain.

Nothing wrong with a bit of starch in CAP to make sure creases stay/hat can be straightened out AFTER being stowed in a side pocket.

vmstan

Wash the BDUs when their dirty, iron them when they're wrinkly.

Professionally clean the blues, as was said, it's a bit more expensive but they should look sharp.

Starching BDUs sounds like a real waste of time.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

RobertAmphibian

Quote from: Marshalus on June 11, 2010, 02:57:54 PM

Maybe, but it helps teach overall uniform care and presents a much more professional appearance. Most cadet/composite squadrons I know spend at least half their meetings in BDUs. Unless you're doing ES stuff or actually working, you'll look WAY more professional with some starch.

JayT

Greetings gentlemen,

It is apparent that none of you are from the entire wing of Missouri.  I just sent my BDU blouse in to have to pockets sewn shut.

But.........what if you have to put something in your pockets? Sewned down pockets always look absurd. They don't look natural.

Is it a work uniform, or are you modeling it?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

davidsinn

Quote from: JThemann on June 11, 2010, 03:21:21 PM
Greetings gentlemen,

I require my cadets to carry a form 60 in their left chest pocket...

But.........what if you have to put something in your pockets? Sewned down pockets always look absurd. They don't look natural.

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RobertAmphibian on June 11, 2010, 03:09:36 PM
Maybe, but it helps teach overall uniform care and presents a much more professional appearance. Most cadet/composite squadrons I know spend at least half their meetings in BDUs. Unless you're doing ES stuff or actually working, you'll look WAY more professional with some starch.

Robert,

While I don't disagree with the idea of what you're saying, I do disagree that starching "presents a much more professional appearance."

I do not starch my BDUs, ever.  I would guarantee you that you wouldn't be able to tell.  At the end of the day, my uniform is still unwrinkled and isn't shiny or stiff.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Daniel

Greetings gentlemen,

Yes sir, I am modeling it. I'm on the encampments staff here so my uniform has to be perfect simply because the basics are watching.

C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

manfredvonrichthofen

To get your BDU cover to look right, take out any forming materials like cardboard. Then slap the cover on your thigh a few times really hard. Next slap it on your head making sure that the bottom is parallel with the ground.

USNASomeDay

bottom line:
BDUs: steam press if wrinkled, lightly starch if neccesary. Don't iron over buttons. Cut out a piece of cardboard, put it in between buttons and pocket, iron as normal. In my opinion, all pockets on the BDU should be left unsewn simply for the fact that it is a work uniform (but seriously, what are we supposed to put in the upper pockets anyway?)

Blues: have professionally cleaned/starched (I re-starch/iron just because I have an OCD-like attitude when it comes to any dress uniform). Note: don't do what I did; first time starching my blues I ended up scorching the epaulets. (soaked it in starch, put iron on highest setting, and que sizzling sound)

As far as the BDU cap goes; it doesn't have to be perfect, but it can't be overly wrinkled.

pretty simple, doesn't need to be overcomplicated.

C/SSgt Youngblood
SER-FL-169

manfredvonrichthofen

[quote author=USNASomeDay link=topic=10749.msg196646#msg196646 date=127627408)In my opinion, all pockets on the BDU should be left unsewn simply for the fact that it is a work uniform (but seriously, what are we supposed to put in the upper pockets anyway?) [/quote]
In your upper left pocket is supposed to be a small note book. With the pen hidden inside the button flap of your blouse.

Fuzzy

Quote from: ASchlagel on June 08, 2010, 08:17:28 PM
Hi,
I'm a uniform AIC and I'm just starting out in this job, I have gotten a few tips and have found a few things on line but i need to know  tricks of the trade of Ironing, put on patches, insignias and so on. I have the job of taking three cadets every night from Zulu flight and training them on EVERYTHING uniform! I know its a big job and that's why I'm asking for a bit of help and advice! I've only been in in CAP for 8 months joining last October. So I'm still green too but my Commanders have given me the job, also i need to know stores that hold anything Supply for I'm also the Supply AIC!
Ya i have a big job, so sir's, mam's, can you please help me out?

Thank you So Much For At Least Reading This!

Cadet Senior Airmen Schlagel
Colorado Springs Cadet Squadron
RMR-CO-030

P.S. I have gotten one trick but i tried it and i think it works. get your cover and spray the whole outside with caned starch and rub it in, then put it on a coffee can or tall bowl and put it in the freezer for 2 hours then pull it out and let it sit in a cool to warm area and let it set.

Pro tip, wear your uniform to exceed the standards. It takes effort but what doesn't? Look sharp and be sharp.

Athough from your question its pretty clear your a high speed cadet. Knowing your job is paramount, but there is nothing wrong with takeing pride in your appearance.

If some people don't like it, well...

C/Capt Semko

Cecil DP

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 11, 2010, 04:43:50 PM
[quote author=USNASomeDay link=topic=10749.msg196646#msg196646 date=127627408)In my opinion, all pockets on the BDU should be left unsewn simply for the fact that it is a work uniform (but seriously, what are we supposed to put in the upper pockets anyway?)
In your upper left pocket is supposed to be a small note book. With the pen hidden inside the button flap of your blouse.
[/quote]

There are 10 pockets in a set of BDUs. If you must carry a notebook, carry it in a cargo pocket. There is no requirement to carry it in the top pockets. Carrying it in the upper pockets make you look lumpy, and being in eye sight will more easily catch the eye of someone who likes to correct uniforms.   [/quote]
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

davidsinn

Quote from: USNASomeDay on June 11, 2010, 04:34:46 PM
bottom line:
(but seriously, what are we supposed to put in the upper pockets anyway?)

Let's take a look at my uniform pockets. Excuse the quality, I didn't feel like dragging out the good camera and used my phone.

From the top down I have a red and a black pen in the button area. The left pocket has an F60 and 101 in a plastic bag. A mini sharpie. Rank cards I made up years ago and had laminated. A business card holder that has my IDs, F75, F60, 101, ROA-A, First aid card, Comm channel plan.

Right pocket has a notepad and a waterproof bag that fits my cell phone and contains an emergency battery to boost my phone. My phone is a Verzion HTC Touch Pro 2 so I have internet and GPS capabilities, pictures and video recording as well as voice comm and texting. My phone is normally on my belt.

You can see I carry a lot of important items at all times I'm in uniform. At the minimum you should have a writing utensil and a note pad and form 60 in your pockets. My uniform was worn and sweated in last night because we did a simulated missing person and has not been washed yet and is still sharp and professional looking even though it has never been in the same room as a can of starch.

Quote from: Cecil DP on June 11, 2010, 05:21:03 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 11, 2010, 04:43:50 PM
Quote from: USNASomeDay on January 17, 1974, 04:03:28 AMIn my opinion, all pockets on the BDU should be left unsewn simply for the fact that it is a work uniform (but seriously, what are we supposed to put in the upper pockets anyway?)

There are 10 pockets in a set of BDUs. If you must carry a notebook, carry it in a cargo pocket. There is no requirement to carry it in the top pockets. Carrying it in the upper pockets make you look lumpy, and being in eye sight will more easily catch the eye of someone who likes to correct uniforms.   

Show me where using the pockets is not allowed. I wouldn't want a notebook in the cargo pocket because it tends to get bent that way.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JayT

Quote from: Daniel L on June 11, 2010, 04:10:59 PM
Greetings gentlemen,

Yes sir, I am modeling it. I'm on the encampments staff here so my uniform has to be perfect simply because the basics are watching.

There's a difference between being perfect and being 'hardkewl.' Where in 39-1 does it say you have to sew you pockets down?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Fly Boy

I personally don't believe in sewing the pockets down, but here's my solution:

Have two sets of BDUs. One you can have just for meetings where there will be a very low probability of the uniform becoming soiled, and the other for the more practical purposes such as SAR and other work where the uniform is most likely to be soiled

my 2 cents...

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

davidsinn

Quote from: Fly Boy on June 11, 2010, 06:24:36 PM
I personally don't believe in sewing the pockets down, but here's my solution:

Have two sets of BDUs. One you can have just for meetings where there will be a very low probability of the uniform becoming soiled, and the other for the more practical purposes such as SAR and other work where the uniform is most likely to be soiled

my 2 cents...

Or just wear it as intended and spend the extra money on something more important?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

The high speed cadets tend to do just that, and especially with the unit having uniform items available anywhere from free at times, to $5 each piece (top, pants, boots, cover = $20 total) for example.

Then they can have one for meetings, detail, etc- and another or two for the field. When they are of the enlisted ranks it's fairly easy with the metal rank. When it becomes sewing time it becomes interesting to see which wins. :)

...usually participation rules the day.

davidsinn

I guess I just don't have a lot of patience for the form over function mindset. If hardkewl cadets spent half as much time on looking good and more time on understanding the concepts behind making a good looking uniform then we'd be much better off.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Grumpy

Quote from: RobertAmphibian on June 11, 2010, 03:09:36 PM
Quote from: Marshalus on June 11, 2010, 02:57:54 PM

Hm mm, sounds like a garrison troop to me.