Memorial Day Events - CAP Participation

Started by RickRutledge, May 31, 2010, 09:40:38 PM

RickRutledge

I just wanted to pass along some photos of an event that happens in our wing every year headed by Lt.Col. Joe Cavett and his cadets at Starbase Composite Squadron in Tulsa, Oklahoma. For the last several years they have re-enacted the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, complete with a replica tomb for 3 days over Memorial Day weekend (Starting Friday Afternoon and ending late Monday afternoon, in 30 minute guard shifts with 6 hour blocks, 24 hours a day -- Rain [hail] or Shine). They do every ceremonial step based upon exactly how it's done in DC, just in full CAP Dress Blues. And honestly, these cadets are absolutely on point with everything they are doing, they looked fantastic. They aren't my cadets, but I sure was proud to be a member of CAP yesterday.

Here are some photos for you to enjoy: http://s774.photobucket.com/albums/yy22/EdmondCAP002/?albumview=slideshow

VIDEO OF THE FULL CEREMONY: http://www.vimeo.com/12191990

*EDIT* Here's some news coverage too: http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0510/740994.html

What are your squadrons doing this weekend?
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

RADIOMAN015

That's very interesting and I salute the cadets & senior members that are taking the time to participate in this activity to honor our deceased servicemen & servicewomen.  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

RM

cap235629

I like! did they borrow those M-1's from the VFW or Legion? I noticed the blank adapters....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

MIKE

Must resist urge to comment on the uniforms.
Mike Johnston

cap235629

Quote from: MIKE on May 31, 2010, 11:40:17 PM
Must resist urge to comment on the uniforms.

noticed a few myself, mirrored sunglasses, ribbons and medals, and NRA badges..  Otherwise, EXCELLENT.  I posted it to my facebook as well!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

RickRutledge

Umm, actually there aren't one pair of mirrored sunglasses. They are all standard USAF aviators with smoked (tinted) lenses. The badge over the right breast is the Tomb Honor Guard badge, which came from the US Army and was approved by NHQ back in 1995 when they applied to congress to be able to do this. The ribbons and medals combo is authorized by 39-1.

5-1. Wear of Awards and Decorations. Awards and decorations prescribed by CAPR 39-3, Award of
CAP Medals, Ribbons, and Certificates, will be worn only by CAP members for whom they have been
authorized and only on those uniforms outlined below. Figure 5-1 outlines the proper arrangement and
placement on service uniforms. Ribbons and medals will not be worn on the utility uniform, field
uniform, CAP blazer (exception one miniature medal may be worn on the semiformal blazer uniform),
battle dress uniform, flight suits, and in no case will they be worn on the overcoat, raincoat, all-weather
coat, or lightweight blue jacket.

Unless you are talking about alignment and the like, which I didn't notice at the time since I was too busy trying to get the right shot...But I can assure you that great care was taken to make absolutely sure everything was according to 39-1. This is a pretty big event in Tulsa every year, this year they've estimated a crowd of over 20,000 has been through to see all the festivities since Friday afternoon's opening.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

Flying Pig

CAP cadets wearing the Tomb Guard Badge?  Seems to be somewhat of a stretch, but OK.

cap235629

It must have been the light with the sunglasses. I was just looking again and zoomed in on the Honor Guard badge and started scratching my head.  If it was authorized, WAY COOL!  The NRA badges they are wearing are not those referenced in 39-3.  That program went away years ago and the ones they are wearing are for a different program.  STILL NO DOUBT ABOUT IT AWESOME!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

RickRutledge

Robert-- It's true. They wear the same badge as those who guard the tomb in DC. See for yourself in picture 37 of the album and compare it to: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/tomb-of-the-unknown-soldier-pocket-badge-pin or for a bigger better photo click: http://cgi.ebay.com/Honor-Guard-Tomb-Unknown-Soldier-Badge-NIP-/160437820230
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

AlphaSigOU

The Tomb Guard is very protective of their identifying badge; if a recipient of the badge commits an action that is dishonorable, after the member leaves The Old Guard (even after leaving the service), the wear of the badge can later be rescinded. More information: http://www.tombguard.org/

That's great to see a CAP squadron faithfully replicating the Sentinel's Walk.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eeyore

I've seen the ceremony that these cadets put on, great job on their part.

a2capt

Woohoo!!

(and they didn't even look mirrored to me, more like standard aviators to me, too)

Flying Pig

I see its the same badge.  My question is why?  Seems a little much for CAP cadets.  What happens to the badges after the ceremony?  In the Army, the badges are numbered specific to the soldier wearing it.  I didnt even think you could buy them.

capmaj

So now I'm curious.. Is it being said that the Civil Air Patrol, and more specifically, the Starbase Composite Squadron in Tulsa OK, has specific written permission from the DoD, U.S. Army and the 3rd U.S. Army Regiment (Old Guard) for its cadets to wear its Honor Guard Badge?

This seems a stretch, but if it is true, it would/could allow for both cadet and  senior units to make application for far more regular military insignia that in the past.  Curious.

RickRutledge

Robert-- My understanding is that when the Tomb Guards agreed to it, they wanted to make sure that it is as true a re-enactment as possible to preserve the authenticity and traditions. Obviously, we can't wear an Army uniform and be participating in a CAP activity, this was the closest they could get these cadets. After the ceremony the badges are returned to the squadron and locked up until the following year. As far as buying them, I've found several for sale on ebay. They could be reproductions, but they look pretty authentic.

Major-- Yes, Civil Air Patrol Starbase Composite Squadron has NHQ, DoD, US Army, 3rd Army Regiment and Congressional approval to perform the ceremony. These cadets go to DC to train with the Honor Guard every year several months ahead of Memorial Day and work 3 days a week for 3-4 hours a day, at least 2 months before, they didn't just try to re-create this ceremony from watching a YouTube video. As for the badge, my understanding is that the US Army gave them the green light to wear it for the re-enactment ONLY, these cadets do not wear this badge year round. And as I said before, this was because the Army wanted to preserve the authenticity and traditions of the ceremonies. These aren't my cadets and this is only what I've been told. It could open a can of worms, but we're not splitting atoms here, we're simply talking about a badge that's been authorized for wear at one event, once per year.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

NIN

Speaking as an Army vet, I think that's pretty darn cool.  Really.  It shows a commitment that I often find lacking in cadets.  (and if they trained with the Old Guard and the Old Guard said it was OK with them to wear the Tomb Guard Badge, then hey, who am I to say otherwise?  I think that CAP's listing of the Tomb Guard badge in 39-1 as a wear item is directed to former members of the Old Guard who earned the Tomb Guard badge and are CAP members, but if its a "one time" thing and its been vetted up thru the appropriate channels, then hey, cool!!)

I will refrain from comment on things like mixing ribbons and medals, as I do not want to turn this into a gigantic uniform furball. 
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

bosshawk

NIN: it is probably too late to avoid the furball status.  This one should probably reach three or four pages by tomorrow.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

CFI_Ed

Quote from: bosshawk on June 01, 2010, 06:05:32 PM
NIN: it is probably too late to avoid the furball status.  This one should probably reach three or four pages by tomorrow.

Oh joy. ::)
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

tarheel gumby

Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

♠SARKID♠

It was a shame more people weren't there when you were filming.  Did a larger crowd showed up at a different time?