Legends of Flight IMAX Film

Started by DBlair, May 30, 2010, 08:26:59 PM

DBlair

I was wondering if anyone heard about this and is organizing a local showing for CAP members. I saw some materials about it and it seems like it would be of interest to all CAP, especially Cadets, Pilots, etc. Any thoughts?

(I considered posting this in the AE section, but I figured it was more of a general-interest topic.)

From the Cadet Blog:
CAP Members Offered Special Viewings of the new Legends of Flight Imax Film...
Posted by Joe Curry | May 28, 2010 | 0 Comments

Beginning 11 June, a new IMAX® 3D film will be released, entitled Legends of Flight.  The Legends film will showcase some of history's most amazing aircraft -- highlighting the design challenges, financial risks, and many lessons learned from a century of aviation trial and error, bringing us to the dawn of a new era of revolutionary aircraft — Boeing's 787 Dreamliner and the Airbus A380.  Filmed in IMAX® 3D, this film promises to set a new standard in large format aviation films.  Legends of Flight will be released to IMAX® and other Giant Screen theaters, plus digital theaters, in 3D and 2D.  As a promotional partner for this endeavor, CAP members may be able to receive group discounted tickets and/or preview screenings at theaters near them. 

The Legends Website, http://www.legendsofflightfilm.com, has several good links for more detailed information. The links include film overview and trailers, scheduled theater locations across the country, an interactive map, historical aviation data, and excellent K-8 aerospace educational companion materials (great for students and cadets).  Their Website will also be listing Civil Air Patrol as a film partner and will be adding specific Aerospace Education and Cadet Programs links therein.

The Wing Director of Aerospace Education (DAE) would be a great POC for the wing, if interested in organizing a multi-squadron event at the theater for a special viewing. To add to this viewing event, your wing could invite a local aviation icon to be a special group speaker, either before or after the showing.   If your wing is interested in working with a local theater for group discounts, and, a possible special event with your selected speaker, the wing's POC (probably the DAE) should contact the Executive Producer at K2 Communications, Jan Baird, at jan_baird@k2communications.com. If the POC will contact Jan in a timely manner, she can include information about CAP in the marketing package geared for each theater. This would be an excellent public awareness opportunity for the CAP wings. Remember to include the Aerospace Education Members (AEMs) in your wing! If an IMAX theater in your area is not listed on the schedule, and your wing is interested in having your local Giant Screen theater contacted to be scheduled for a screening, please let Jan Baird know this, as well. If you have further questions, CAP's NHQ POC is Susan Mallett at smallett@capnhq.gov.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

snpotratz

Of course it's not showing anywhere in Montana...
Capt. Steven Potratz
Deputy Commander | RMR-MT-037
Director of Safety | MTWG

wingnut55

33 million people in California and it is only playing at the L.A. Museum of Technology????

a2capt

..and San Joe-say .. at an undetermined time. ;-)

T. Albert

How come I get the feeling that there is some confusion surrounding this film?!

IMAX doesn't list it by the name "Legends of Flight" but rather by the name "Legends of the Sky" with a release date of 2008 and a duration of 0 (zero) minutes! hmmm....

The "Legends of Flight" website even seems to have some dyslexia, also showing this film under these two different titles.

Well, we will see when/if it really hits the big screen.

DBlair

I'm noticing some issues as well. Firstly, in the CAP information, it says CAP members get a "Special Viewing", but then if you read on, it seems to be confusing as to whether this has already been arranged or not.

Luckily, MOSI here in Tampa is scheduled to start showing it in July, and I've contacted MOSI regarding this screening and group tickets, but have not yet heard back from them. I'm wondering if somewhere in the process of things, this was just a hope/idea and that it was never actually arranged. Time will tell, I guess.

DBlair

Pardon the reviving of an old topic...

We finally had our "Legends of Flight" event yesterday at the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) here in Tampa. I'm really glad that we added other activities to fill a full day at MOSI as everyone seemed to agree that Legends of Flight was a big disappointment.

The reality of the film is that it is an hour-long Boeing advertisement intended to build interest in their newest aircraft. Anything beyond that having to do with actual Legends of Flight or aviation history or essentially anything non-Boeing-advertisement-related could probably end up edited into a 5min window of time.

Also, CAP claimed to be involved in the production of the film, but I'm wondering exactly how. We weren't mentioned in any credits or in the film at all, and I'm not so sure there is anything in the film in which we could have been involved- other than perhaps helping to market it to our members.

Anyone else have a similar experience?