Main Menu

IRS notices

Started by davidsinn, May 19, 2010, 11:50:25 PM

davidsinn

I just got this from my group commander

QuoteGood afternoon,Recently, the IRS has issued notices to some squadrons indicating the unit should file an IRS Form 990N electronic postcard.  Please do not file anything with the IRS, nor should you call the IRS, regarding this notice. 

All financial information for the units, wings and regions is consolidated and included in the national audited financial statements.  Following this audit, NHQ files a consolidated IRS Form 990 which includes all units.  No separate filing is required on your part. 
Please forward any notices you have received to CAP/FM upon receipt.  You may email these to [redacted], fax to [redacted] or mail to the CAP NHQ address: 105 S. Hansell Street, Maxwell AFB, AL 36112.  We will review these and respond appropriately. 
Please share this information with your unit commanders and finance officers to ensure all parties are informed. 
Thank you for your consideration for this matter.  If you have any questions, please let me know.

Deborah (Debi) Lowtharp, CPA, CFE
Deputy Director of Financial Management
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ltcmark

They have sent these out on a regular basis over the years.  It really got messed up when each squadron had to file for an Federal ID number a few years back.

NHQ finally got the IRS to make a ruling on how they were going to audit and track CAP.  Some squadrons still receive love letters from the IRS even though they have not filed anything with the IRS for years.

Wing Banker is good in that wing now takes care of filing everything with NHQ for the squadrons.  NHQ then collects all the data and files the paperwork with the IRS.