Cadets enlisting in the Military

Started by Rodriguez, May 12, 2010, 05:40:31 PM

Rodriguez

Ive looked through 52-16 on this but found nothing. Say an 18 year old cadet enlists in the military. He can stay a cadet until he bcomes 21 correct? Lets assume he is in the Reserve or Guard, so that he can still atten meetings regularly.
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

coudano

Try 39-2 and 35-3

If he enlists active duty, his cadet membership ends.
Delayed enlistment program does not count; it counts when you get on the bus and go off to basic.

Reserve and Guard is an exception, you can go to basic and school, and come back to weekend drill status and maintain your cadet membership.

NC Hokie

CAPR 35-3 is what you want: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R035_003_B74F5A60C44CF.pdf

Section A includes the following as a cause to terminate cadet membership:

(3) Joining the active duty Armed Forces. The term "active duty Armed Forces" does not include members in the National Guard or Reserves who are not on extended active duty.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Rodriguez

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for.
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

Spike

Also remember that Membership Dues are waived the year you enlist and leave.... or at least that is what was explained to me by Ms Parker at Maxwell. 

Rodriguez

SarDragon

Isn't it more like you get a free ride on your cadet dues to be a senior the year you convert?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Yeah, if you're about to turn senior, but have the opportunity to renew at the cadet rate, renew first, when you get your card, send in an application with conversion to senior on it, you don't have to pay the higher rate that first year.

You just can't renew for multiple years as a cadet, so no multiple year discounts.

Eclipse

I believe that deployed senior members also get a dues waiver.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

One more thing, if you convert more than halfway through your last cadet year, be prepared to pay SM dues, anyway. That happened to someone in my unit. His renewal and 21st BD were only a couple of months apart, and he had to renew at the SM rate.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Maybe, like the ID cards- they closed that "hole", too.

I think they should give cadets a discount on their first year as senior.

After all, they already know whats going on. :)

..you hope.

MikeS

So senior members can be in the armed forces and be a part of CAP?

davidsinn

Quote from: MStein on May 15, 2010, 01:21:11 PM

A fair chunk of our membership are.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on May 15, 2010, 01:36:31 PM
Quote from: MStein on May 15, 2010, 01:21:11 PM

A fair chunk of our membership are.

IIRC we recently had a region commander who was and AD SNCO.

I was on AD and a CAP member until I became a blood sucking contractor in '08 and there are about six AD members in my squardon right now.

Here in NVWG they are forming a squadron with the idea that 90+% are going to be AD members.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

mynetdude

Quote from: coudano on May 12, 2010, 05:42:59 PM
Try 39-2 and 35-3

Delayed enlistment program does not count; it counts when you get on the bus and go off to basic.

Reserve and Guard is an exception, you can go to basic and school, and come back to weekend drill status and maintain your cadet membership.

And what happens if you fail basic when going AD? Can you still retain your cadet status?

SarDragon

Quote from: mynetdude on May 21, 2010, 11:50:49 PM
Try 39-2 and 35-3

And what happens if you fail basic when going AD?

Sux to be you. Most people who fail to pass boot camp probably ought not be there in the first place.

Can you still retain your cadet status?

I doubt it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

Quote from: SarDragon on May 22, 2010, 12:10:39 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 21, 2010, 11:50:49 PM
Try 39-2 and 35-3

And what happens if you fail basic when going AD?

Sux to be you. Most people who fail to pass boot camp probably ought not be there in the first place.

Can you still retain your cadet status?

I doubt it.

someone I know who went to boot camp was released medically, she didn't pass so would that mean she shouldn't have gone in the first place? I would think that a cadet who is unable to pass boot camp for circumstances not under their control should be able to return to CAP as a cadet.

SarDragon

Quote from: mynetdude on May 22, 2010, 01:13:47 AM

someone I know who went to boot camp was released medically, she didn't pass so would that mean she shouldn't have gone in the first place?

Probably. That's telling me that MEPS didn't do a good job on the entrance physical.

QuoteI would think that a cadet who is unable to pass boot camp for circumstances not under their control should be able to return to CAP as a cadet.
OK, you've given us an opinion. Now, what is your reasoning?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: mynetdude on May 22, 2010, 01:13:47 AMI would think that a cadet who is unable to pass boot camp for circumstances not under their control should be able to return to CAP as a cadet.

What about a cadet that simply chooses to turn senior but three months into it changes their mind?  Should they be allowed to return to cadet status?  Both situations are voluntary choices (i.e. the cadet chose to join the military).

mynetdude

Quote from: SarDragon on May 22, 2010, 01:19:37 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 22, 2010, 01:13:47 AM

someone I know who went to boot camp was released medically, she didn't pass so would that mean she shouldn't have gone in the first place?

Probably. That's telling me that MEPS didn't do a good job on the entrance physical.

QuoteI would think that a cadet who is unable to pass boot camp for circumstances not under their control should be able to return to CAP as a cadet.
OK, you've given us an opinion. Now, what is your reasoning?

I don't know the whole story, but she wasn't a cadet but what if she had been? She passed the MEP requirements the problem was she says she was released due to an injured ankle during basic. So this person wanted to enlist in AD gets injured during basic and is disqualified if she had been a cadet I would think that a medical disqualification would not be grounds for losing her cadet status if she were a cadet unlike the national guard or reserve you can still go to boot and school and not give up your cadet status so wouldn't it be only IF the cadet successfully completes boot camp?