Main Menu

Patch Companies

Started by Chief2009, April 28, 2010, 02:21:15 PM

Chief2009

My unit's patch just got approved, and I'm pricing out different companies.

I have butlerpatches.com, what company do other units use?

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

IceNine

Hi Dan,
  I went through this entire quest 2 years ago.  You won't find better pricing, customer service, or turn aroud time anywhere.

They went from drawings to a first run patch in 2 days,  and delivered in a total of 7.

I'll pm with more this evening
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

davidsinn

Quote from: IceNine on April 28, 2010, 02:49:15 PM
Hi Dan,
  I went through this entire quest 2 years ago.  You won't find better pricing, customer service, or turn aroud time anywhere.

They went from drawings to a first run patch in 2 days,  and delivered in a total of 7.

I'll pm with more this evening

Please share with me too. We're looking to get our patch made in the next month or so.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

Oooh! maybe they're better than what we last used, too. :) Please do tell..

capn_shad

We are deciding on a patch producer right now and Butler has impressed us with their customer service and apparent quality, but their price is definitely in the high range.  I'm hoping they will reduce their price to compete with the multitude of companies out there who are 30 to 50 cents per unit cheaper.  I'm not sure why there is such a price difference unless it is the source of the goods (i.e. China).

I'm particularly frustrated that an in-state company I was looking at is the highest priced of the fifteen quotes I requested, and is the only one who is charging an additional shipping fee as part of the order.

Does anyone have experience with these "lower priced" outfits that they would like to share (either endorsing or warning?).
CAPT Shad L. Brown
Public Affairs Officer
Pueblo Eagles Composite Squadron

Chappie

We used Patches4 less:  http://www.patches4less.com/   Plan to use them again for re-ordering another batch -- good pricing and turn-around.  You can see the quality of the patch on the gallery (that was the artwork sample and the patch was just as good).
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

DC

My unit used Butler, their service was unparalleled and the product quality was phenomenal. We caught them while they were having a sale, so we paid less than their typical fee, though I would say they are still well worth the full charge.

Chief2009

Seems Butler's prices went up a bit since I looked last.  :-\

My commander wants to use somebody local to support the local economy and get our name out more, but I'm getting the feeling most local places are more set up for logos and such rather than making patches.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

capn_shad

Update on our patch quest -- Butler refused to "honor the lowest price" because they incorrectly believed the quote I provided them was not for a merrowed edge (even thought the quote clearly stated it was merrowed), so we refused to do business with them.

We are using QualityEmbroideredPatches.com, a company out of Littleton, CO, who worked with us to lower the cost per unit and has been nothing but professional and responsive throughout the process.  We are paying about .15 cents more per unit, but we are doing business within our wing (where we are also tax-exempt, woohoo!) and getting great customer service to boot.  I will let you know about quality when we receive our order.   ;D
CAPT Shad L. Brown
Public Affairs Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: capn_shad on May 06, 2010, 01:51:39 PM...we are doing business within our wing (where we are also tax-exempt, woohoo!)...

You're tax exempt everywhere...

"That Others May Zoom"

capn_shad

Sure, but try proving that to an on-line company whose state is now requiring all transactions to collect the local tax! ???
CAPT Shad L. Brown
Public Affairs Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: capn_shad on May 06, 2010, 03:00:02 PM
Sure, but try proving that to an on-line company whose state is now requiring all transactions to collect the local tax! ???

You send them a copy of your tax exempt letter, the same as you would for a local vendor. 

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

I would not hesitate to bet that they are actually making an additional profit in the way of collecting tax on out of state sales and not reporting it. Wanna see? Look for other mail order businesses in the same municipality, call 'em. Ask about totals, shipping, out of state .. see what they say.

A great reason to just move on and do business elsewhere ;) What else are they not up front about...

capn_shad

Not at all; Colorado recently passed a law requiring collection of taxes for internet purchases.  Since I have a scanned copy of the wing's tax exempt certificate, no collection is necessary and we all move on happily.

Since other states have similar requirements in some cases, it's fun trying to persuade them that yes, it is a legitimate certificate, yes, I am the same thing as Colorado Wing, Civil Air Patrol, and yes, I am in fact a tax-exempt nonprofit.

I prefer to do business locally, where they are upfront about the service provided and the costs, and were willing to lower their price despite not having a "price guarantee" like Butler supposedly did.  It also helps that they know what to look for when I send them a tax-exempt certificate.  (Not every business understands CAP National's I.R.S. decision letter, they understand a tax exempt number and certificate quite well however).

Now we wait for the Wing Banker to pay the bills.....
CAPT Shad L. Brown
Public Affairs Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: capn_shad on May 06, 2010, 03:48:26 PM(Not every business understands CAP National's I.R.S. decision letter, they understand a tax exempt number and certificate quite well however).

I have no doubt that people have challenges with tax exempt status issues, but the letters we have granting our status are standard-issue IRS documents and not really that big a deal.

I have no doubt people randomly have issues with various vendors, and if you can find equal quality at a similar price with a walk-in vendor, good on 'ye, I just want to make sure Mr. & Mrs. America and all the ships at sea don't get the impression that asserting our tax status should be anything more than routine.

Any vendor that isn't capable of working with that should be passed over because they are likely too new or too small to offer a good product or service.

"That Others May Zoom"

capn_shad

The Wing Banker did an outstanding job, my vendor has been paid, and production begins tonight, with delivery slated for three weeks from today!
CAPT Shad L. Brown
Public Affairs Officer