New CAWG Ground Team & UDF Uniform

Started by Smokey, April 16, 2010, 06:12:06 PM

PHall

Well, I look at it this way. If someone from another Wing, say Oregon, participates in a mission and someone from CalEMA notices them, (not likely, they usually are in their bunker in Elk Grove), as soon as somebody tells them that the folks from Oregon are from Oregon and are helping the CAWG folks, it will be a non-issue.

Unless somebody with an "agenda" decides to "make" it an issue.

Because I don't see this supplement being enforced any more then the last one was enforced.

And we all know how well CAP Uniform Regs are enforced...

a2capt

Quote from: PHall on April 23, 2010, 04:19:35 AM
And we all know how well CAP Uniform Regs are enforced...

Exactly.

It just becomes a hoops and hurdles exercise. I mean, after all, when you're told "no", and the you look over there.. but .. , "well, they're .. (insert stupid logic reason here) and you're not"  ;-)

wuzafuzz

Does CA still require an OES card for volunteer disaster workers?  If so, they may actually say no to out of state CAP'ers, making their uniform irrelevant. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

lordmonar

They do....but you can regester on line.  So any out of staters should also be given instruction to regester before deploying.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

A.Member

I didn't want to drag myself into the discussion but oh well...

So, what happens when another state goes to high visibility yellow shirts?  And another to bright blue?  And another to red?  And another to pink?   My point is that it's very problematic - and quite costly - for national organizations to kowtow to individual state and/or local requests (note:  this is NOT a mandate) in such way.

We already have an effective uniform.  Wearing a high visibility vest, whether it be orange or yellow, should be more than sufficient and a reasonable compromise (and already exists).   Suggesting that an entire uniform change occur crosses the line to absurd.  Shame on the NB for allowing such a proposal to move forward.

That's my $.02.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Flying Pig

My Departments SAR unit wears tan BDU style pants and long sleeve orange button up shirts with Dept patches and a cloth badge.  Looks good.  And you can see them from 10 miles away!

Hawk200

Quote from: A.Member on April 23, 2010, 03:04:54 PMWe already have an effective uniform.  Wearing a high visibility vest, whether it be orange or yellow, should be more than sufficient and a reasonable compromise (and already exists).   Suggesting that an entire uniform change occur crosses the line to absurd.  Shame on the NB for allowing such a proposal to move forward.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

MikeD

Quote from: RiverAux on April 18, 2010, 05:29:55 PM
Quotethe commonly adopted SAR uniform recognized by law enforcement nationwide.
Incidentally, I would like to find some document to back up this statement from the CA Wing supplement. 

Note the idiocy here:
QuoteThe CAWG GT uniform is not authorized for:
ยท Ground Team or UDF Team members while transporting to or from a search base, or at a search base in a out of service status
In order to go out on a GT mission, you actually have to bring two shirts with you.  You have to wear the BBDU shirt while driving to the base or while waiting for assignment, then you have to change into the orange shirt to go hike around and then change back into the blue shirt before going home.  If they feel the need to wear the orange shirt, just wear it during the entire mission.  Just how good looking are these shirts going to be after being wadded up in a pack during the time you're wearing the other one.

Is that a national or CAWG reg?  Either way that should get changed to allow us to wear the orange shirt the whole mission and not have to change back and forth.  That sounds like a major pain to deal with...

RiverAux

That is the new CA Wing supplement.

billford1

Is a picture of the CA GT uniform posted somewhere?

SarDragon

I'll see if there's one of the olde version online. The only difference might be the pants.

[edit]

Nope, pants are blue here, too.

BTW, the names have been blacked out.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

wingnut55

Are those Sheriff Shoulder patches on a CAP uniform??

SarDragon

Nope. California OES, with a SarTech tab underneath. Those were authorized by the previous supplement.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

N Harmon

Why are CAP personnel wearing California OES patches?

No wait, better question...

Why are California OES patches authorized for wear on the CAP uniform?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

JC004

You can't see her because she isn't wearing the proper uniform, but there is a cadet in AF-style uniform there also.   ;)

SarDragon

Quote from: N Harmon on May 17, 2010, 08:39:14 PM
Why are CAP personnel wearing California OES patches?

No wait, better question...

Why are California OES patches authorized for wear on the CAP uniform?

Because the olde supplement said they were?

This pic is from July 2001. I was still wearing camo BDUs w/o rank.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DNall

Does the CA National Guard wear orange shirts when they go out? Other than the fire fighters, I doubt it. So what's the difference.

a2capt

Just like the color blindness thread, I think it's a proposed solution to problem that does not exist. We are not out hunting deer and our teammates don't have guns pointed at us. Has anyone ever had a case where someone was hurt, couldn't complete the mission, mistaken for something else,  had the victim hide from them, etc- because they wore the official uniform?

I still think this whole thing is someones pet project that they finally managed to sell to the right people.

What was wrong with the orange vest thing that says "CAP", or one that you just get from the Wally World  sporting goods dept. It's very simple, highly reflective, can be removed in seconds when the additional safety factor is not necessary, can be handed to another member to use when one does not need it anymore.

Far, far more versatile. Potentially far less expensive as one set of them can be kept with DF gear and used by whomever deploys with that equipment. With the current "solution" (to a problem that did not exist) being limited to field use only, in specific duty positions, it's certainly not an aid in rapid and flexible deployment/utilization of your assets.

"If we don't wear orange, they won't let us play with them" (If we don't wear what they wear) .. if that is really the case, then I have to say, all this belly aching and bickering over CAP uniforms, well, that takes the cake. If some SAR organization can't accept trained help because of what we wear, our uniform arguments are nothing.

Due to our multi-targeted mission, we have a few uniform variants but each one is acceptable in a mission base environment. As well as some of our other typical activities. We now have one that for all intents can be used from the potty to the vehicle, to the field, and back. Not at the mission base otherwise.

The vest would have been a simpler option.  One thats even available through the same channels we can get the rest of our stuff.

JC004

Quote from: a2capt on May 31, 2010, 03:24:57 PM
With the current "solution" (to a problem that did not exist) being limited to field use only, in specific duty positions, it's certainly not an aid in rapid and flexible deployment/utilization of your assets.

Precisely.  I've had SEVERAL missions over the years that started during other activities.  This would be like "Alright! Everyone go home and change!" instead of just being able to up and go.