Black shoes for Dress Blues

Started by Smoothice, April 11, 2010, 12:45:52 AM

Smoothice

Hi,
I did a search here and through 39-1 and I can't find anything that says there is any "required" type of black shoe. I have a pair that looks very similar to the ones suggested on this site. As long as they are black and hold a good shine, are there any hidden regulations I should know about? I think one person told me the only real no-no would be ornate or overly decorative shoes. The ones I have are pretty plain.

thanks!

lordmonar

QuoteBlack oxford; lace-up style with a plain rounded toe or a plain rounded capped toe; without perforation or design, sole will not exceed 1/2 inch in thickness and the heel will not exceed 1 inch in height (measured from
the inside front of the heel); may have low wedge heel; smooth or scotch grained leather or man-made material; high gloss or patent finish.

Here's what 39-1 says.

Does not saying anything about it being a particular brand or model.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

C-150

A plain "military style" lace up oxford will meet the requirement. They can be found in just about any shoe store. There are also several websites that sell military clothing items. The high gloss patient leather style are also acceptable and that is what you will find most AF personnel wearing. The military supply companies usually have those if not not check police uniform sites as alot of police depts still wear them. Also occasionally you will see an AF member usually pilots wearing black wellington boots with both flight suit and service uniforms.

Hawk200

Quote from: C-150 on April 11, 2010, 03:44:00 PMAlso occasionally you will see an AF member usually pilots wearing black wellington boots with both flight suit and service uniforms.
Ropers and Wellingtons are actually specifically mentioned in 39-1 as authorized for wear with the flightsuit.

Most Ropers and Wellingtons meet the criteria in both 39-1 (and 36-2903) for "dress boots". They're all I wear with blues or flightsuits. They shine well, and most people don't even realize I'm wearing a boot until they notice they don't have any laces.

vmstan

Bates Footware Lites Black High Gloss is what I wear with mine, they retail pretty high ($120) but are a nice looking and comfortable shoe. I got mine on eBay for about $35 after shipping.

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-us/Product.mvc.aspx/8445M/0/Footwear/Mens/Bates-Lites-Black-High-Gloss-Oxford?galleryId=G-F
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

MIKE

Bet your feet will sweat in them on a hot day, and you'll cry the first time you scuff them.  Killed two pairs of the plastic shoes during my cadet daze.  Wear leather DSCP issue ones now.
Mike Johnston

vmstan

For what I paid, if they scuff that bad, I don't think I'll be crying to get a new pair.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

PHall

Quote from: MIKE on April 13, 2010, 05:18:53 PM
Bet your feet will sweat in them on a hot day, and you'll cry the first time you scuff them.  Killed two pairs of the plastic shoes during my cadet daze.  Wear leather DSCP issue ones now.

And I've worn Corfam shoes for over 30 years with no problems. The Bates Lites I have are no hotter then any other shoe I've worn.
It's pretty much YMMV.

You do have to try to not scuff them, and most of the minor stuff buffs right out. And for that reason I don't recommend them for cadet wear.

It's pretty much a personal preference thing.

Grumpy

Quote from: indygreg on April 13, 2010, 08:13:59 PM
http://www.qmuniforms.com/Product/lawpro-hi-gloss-dress-oxford/PPS87+100/200307

I recommend these.  Great value and quality.

They look nice but mine always squeek when I walk.  Now I know why I didn't wear them when I was working.

mynetdude

I asked a question awhile back related to wearing combat boots with blues obviously this isn't what this is about anyway...

because of my orthopedic needs I prefer dress boots that have high tops otherwise when I put my orthopedic inserts in my ankle will be too high and the bottom of my feet will be closer to the top of the shoe (making a tighter fit) thus degrading overall support for my feet.

I obtained a pair of Oakley field boots which has significantly helped me in situations I could not normally do with the issued boots however I cannot wear those field boots with my blues, only the issued combat boots (provided they are shined).

IF I could obtain a pair of high ankle/high gloss pair of boots that would meet the regulation requirement to be laced as well I could use that for blues, flight suits, etc I'd like to know if anybody knows of any?

I did a google search for hi gloss oxford boots and most appear to look like the oxford shoes that I buy at stores or military surplus stores, etc.

SarDragon

Quote from: Grumpy on April 13, 2010, 09:50:15 PM

They look nice but mine always squeek when I walk.  Now I know why I didn't wear them when I was working.

Sprinkle a bunch of talcum powder into them, shake it around inside, walk around in them a bit, them shake out the excess. Might make your sox a little white for a while, but the shoes won't squeak any more.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BrianH76

Thanks for posting this.  As a DCC, one of the biggest challenges is finding affordable shoes for cadets.  Now if only my BDU problem could be solved.  :)

capchiro

You might check this place out for uniform and shoe items.  I have always been pleased with the items and the service:

http://www.olcnet.com/
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

mynetdude

Quote from: capchiro on April 27, 2010, 02:57:44 PM
You might check this place out for uniform and shoe items.  I have always been pleased with the items and the service:

http://www.olcnet.com/

Sadly that site is gone now

capchiro

That must be my bad.  I received a flyer from him just last week.  I will check and see if he has a different site or if he is only mail order now.  He had new regulation combat boots for $40.00 and dress leathers for $35.00.  I will check tonight and post again tomorrow.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

a2capt

It would appear that his domain has just recently expired and he may not have been aware of it.

However, now register.com will charge an additional $25 "fee" in addition to the yearly amount.

mynetdude

Quote from: a2capt on April 27, 2010, 04:18:08 PM
It would appear that his domain has just recently expired and he may not have been aware of it.

However, now register.com will charge an additional $25 "fee" in addition to the yearly amount.

why would they do that? That's ridiculous, just go to godaddy for $10/yr

so if he forgot or discontinued :S mebbe if he gets a call or notices a slowdown of business.  I have ordered from OLCnet before.

Eclipse

Quote from: mynetdude on April 27, 2010, 05:29:22 PM
Quote from: a2capt on April 27, 2010, 04:18:08 PM

why would they do that? That's ridiculous, just go to godaddy for $10/yr

That's not how it works - domain names are an internet commodity these days, and if you forget to renew they generally
go to a clearhouse for people to buy for parking - depending on how bad you want it back it can be very expensive.

Once a domain goes out of service with one provider, you generally can't transfer it to another provider until you catch up the
invoices, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

GoDaddy started charging $80 for the same thing ;-)

If you try to renew it after the 'grace period', you have to pay the renewal and an $80 fee to get it out of hock..

But Register.com hits you with the $25 right at the stroke of midnight.   

You can threaten via phone to move off register.com and they will lower their $35/year to $14/year, and you can move that expired domain within 30 days, and the loosing registrar can NOT use non-payment as a reason to hold your domain per ICANN rules. So you can avoid these fee problems by transferring between registrars.

You have a grace period of both right to renew and then there is another grace period before it's "released", but most of the time they are never released again, as the registrars themselves have their own domain mills that grab everything and just pay the ICANN fee of 18 cents on a gamble that in the larger picture they will break even when in fact they make bank on it all.