Search And Rescue software for Windows XP.

Started by Hoorah, March 26, 2010, 10:57:38 PM

Hoorah

Hell, I have been searching for the past couple of months for Search And Rescue Software for my Windows XP computer. I have found only one site cap-es.net what else is out there.
No Offense please do not make this topic turn into another one which people try to make fun of.

ßτε

If you would be more specific on what you mean by "Search And Rescue Software," I think you will get better help.

What exactly do you want to do with the software?

Hoorah

Quote from: bte on March 26, 2010, 11:04:02 PM
If you would be more specific on what you mean by "Search And Rescue Software," I think you will get better help.

What exactly do you want to do with the software?
Well I need it to help keep track of my Search And Rescue qualifications. Also grid software would be helpful.  Latitude,Longitude. software.  Office software.  Inventory Software to keep track of all supplies.

Eclipse

You've literally asked this exact question before.

Open Office
Google Earth with chart overlay
Google Docs or Open Office Calc for your career tracking.
Google Docs or Open Office Calc or Base for your inventory

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoorah

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2010, 11:25:17 PM

Open Office
Well I searched too before I created this topic.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hoorah on March 26, 2010, 11:26:39 PM

Open Office

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=7253.msg133590#msg133590

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Have you taken a close look at the Downloads section of the site you mentioned?

Much of that stuff is informational in nature, and is not "software," as in executable programs. There are a few items there that need MS Office to look at or use.

I really think the best thing for you to do, as suggested in the past, is to download the Ground Team TASK Manual, and learn the material in it before you get too involved with, and possibly overwhelmed by, all the advanced information that's available.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hoorah

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2010, 11:32:38 PM
Quote from: Hoorah on March 26, 2010, 11:26:39 PM

Open Office

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=7253.msg133590#msg133590
My Bad sorry I just found.

Hoorah

To help me out so I dont make my self look stupid I would like some search clues.

JayT

Quote from: Hoorah on March 27, 2010, 12:27:01 AM
To help me out so I dont make my self look stupid I would like some search clues.

Didn't you start an entire thread about that too at some point?

Why don't you try looking at some of your own posts so you get some idea over what you've covered and what you haven't.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Pumbaa

Quote from: Hoorah on March 27, 2010, 12:27:01 AM
Too late...

sardak

QuoteHoorah - I have been searching for the past couple of months for Search And Rescue Software for my Windows XP computer. I have found only one site cap-es.net what else is out there
Eclipse - You've literally asked this exact question before.
Hoorah - Well I searched too before I created this topic.
Posted by: Hoorah Topic: Hello I have a Microsoft xp Laptop for Emergency Services strictly
February 27, 2010, 10:48:20 AM
I am wondering what Emergency Services Powerpoints.Documents,Pdf's and, everything else would be good to have and from ''other sources'' would be good.
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=9991.0

And here's one started by Flying Pig that should have been read: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=9972.0
Topic: SAR Software
February 25, 2010, 11:58:37 AM »    
What types of SAR related software is out there?  What does it do for you?

Mike

Leading_Edge

Ok, I really don't want to sound like a jerk.....but why are you looking at this kind of software as an airman? I am almost a Senior Master Sargent and I have been with the program for three years now, I have been involved with 4 REDCAP's (yes including the balloon boy hoax) and about 8 or 9 SAREX's along with 4 bivouacs. I am qualified in everything a cadet can have except for CUL, MSA and GTM1 (im a trainee) a I have never, ever, used this type of software before and really I don't plan to, why? because I am a cadet, to be honest, rarely (if ever) will mission planning really lie upon the shoulders of a cadet, sure there are some cadets out there who do help plan missions and coordinate ground teams, but the last one that i have ever seen do it was 19 years old and was a C/Col and he still wasn't able to plan everything. If I were you, I would focus on getting actual time on the ground, get your boots dirty, (heck go have fun with the cadets rather than just sitting at mission base, i used to be a comm geek and it really sucked seeing all of my friends come back excited to have a "find" while i sat my butt down at a stack of radios all day) if you work hard and do things right and safe then people will notice you and you might have a chance at getting on planning staff for these searches, that's when you need to worry about software. As for keeping track of your ratings, just learn how eservices works and keep track through there (that's what I have done and I haven't had any trouble). For maps, buy a gazetter or sectional and sit down with a ruler to make the grids (make sure that they are correct according to the state) and yes... i know that it would be awesome to have the lat/long software, but for what you are doing, just stick with the general coordinates on the map (1 to 2 square miles will do) and you will be fine....trust me on this, you aren't recognized by the tools you carry but the knowledge that you have acquired....

CadetProgramGuy

Because Cadet Williams asks these types of questions

Hoorah

Quote from: Leading_Edge on March 27, 2010, 04:15:31 AM
Ok, I really don't want to sound like a jerk.....but why are you looking at this kind of software as an airman? I am almost a Senior Master Sargent and I have been with the program for three years now, I have been involved with 4 REDCAP's (yes including the balloon boy hoax) and about 8 or 9 SAREX's along with 4 bivouacs. I am qualified in everything a cadet can have except for CUL, MSA and GTM1 (im a trainee) a I have never, ever, used this type of software before and really I don't plan to, why? because I am a cadet, to be honest, rarely (if ever) will mission planning really lie upon the shoulders of a cadet, sure there are some cadets out there who do help plan missions and coordinate ground teams, but the last one that i have ever seen do it was 19 years old and was a C/Col and he still wasn't able to plan everything. If I were you, I would focus on getting actual time on the ground, get your boots dirty, (heck go have fun with the cadets rather than just sitting at mission base, i used to be a comm geek and it really sucked seeing all of my friends come back excited to have a "find" while i sat my butt down at a stack of radios all day) if you work hard and do things right and safe then people will notice you and you might have a chance at getting on planning staff for these searches, that's when you need to worry about software. As for keeping track of your ratings, just learn how eservices works and keep track through there (that's what I have done and I haven't had any trouble). For maps, buy a gazetter or sectional and sit down with a ruler to make the grids (make sure that they are correct according to the state) and yes... i know that it would be awesome to have the lat/long software, but for what you are doing, just stick with the general coordinates on the map (1 to 2 square miles will do) and you will be fine....trust me on this, you aren't recognized by the tools you carry but the knowledge that you have acquired....
Because I only need programs that would help with open ofice and I just searched and found that open office is a all in one program.

JayT

Airman Williams, you seem to think that there's some magical super secret software bundle that everyone has stashed on their computers that is required to be an emergency responder type. This is simple not true.

You don't need a special program to keep track of your ES quals. EServices will do that for you, and you should be keeping copies of any hard paper that's signed off or what not. If you want to "keep track," a simple file on any word processing program will do lovely.

Same with "inventory." Keep a notebook with your gear and write down stuff you use as you use it. I don't have an exact count of everything in my truama bag or first out kit at work, but I know "If I use three 4x4s and a cling, I need to get three 4x's and a cling from the hospital or supply closet." If you use an MRE from your kit, replace it with an MRE. There's an entire task in the GTM field guide about repair and restocking requipment. If you're talking about inventory for the squadron, frankly, that shouldn't be a Cadet Airman's job, unless their helping out with a more senior cadet or SM who should be worrying about that stuff.

Again, I don't know what you mean by Lat/Long software. Google Earth should provide all of your mapping needs, and beyond that, people well above your paygrade should be worrying about maps and such.

When I first got hired as an EMT at my company, they had just transitioned to a new computer aided dispatch software. My intrested to it at the time was, and still is, limited to "oh, so you can track exactly where the rig is and how fast its going at all time? Uh-oh." I don't need to know how it works beyond the basic principles of what it does, and I don't need a copy of it at home.

Relax with this stuff. Take a few leadership tests, get a few stripes, make sure you're uniform is squared away, do some SAREX's. Don't worry about inventory management until you're forced to.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Hoorah

I understand I am taking all of your advice everyone and doing what you all told me to do.

JC004

I applaud your interest in finding things that will help you in CAP.  I think that it is very important that you focus on progressing in the program and learning as much from it as possible.  You are still a Cadet Airman, so you should be working on your progression first.

It is ok to look for things that might help you do things in the program, such as software, but being very broad doesn't help people to answer your questions and it gets on people's nerves.  It also annoys people when there are multiple topics on the same thing, especially when started by the same person.  You have started nearly 80 topics here and it would seem you have lost track of what you have started and what you haven't. 

There are multiple software topics here.  Software, of course, changes constantly, so it may be appropriate to ask for an update on an old topic.  It would be good to post in the topic and say, for instance, "has anyone found better software than this one that you mentioned for GIS because this one is really hard to use?"  - something like that. 

Asking a general question about what gear you should have doesn't help.  Look at the list that National provides.  Then you could ask for suggestions on, for example, a good day pack.  This is a forum.  If I were to provide you a complete list of what items you'd need and what would be good for each item, I'd be writing a class, not responding to a forum topic (I used to teach these classes all the time - it was a heck of a lot more information than one could usually put in a forum reply).

Truly, though, you should focus on your progression, try to use the search feature (or even search on Google restricted to captalk.net), and ask specific questions, avoiding the practice of starting multiple topics on something, especially if YOU have started it before.

Hoorah

Leading_Edge

Quote from: Leading_Edge on March 27, 2010, 04:15:31 AM

I'd like to apologize to anyone reading this post. The manner in which i posted it is unacceptable for anyone to read. I feel that this could have been written with better wording and organization and it could have shown more professionalism from myself with in it.

I apologize if anyone feels offended by this message but it is what i felt and i thought that the above information coming from fellow cadet would make it easier for Hoorah to understand and comprehend what our roles as cadets are in emergency services. Kodos to SARDragon for correcting me in the manner that I wrote this. I think that i am going to limit my use on CAPTalk from now on for it is not my place to speak on behalf of other member's issues. If anyone feels significant offense from what I previously wrote then please PM me. Thanks