Cadets on ES missions

Started by Rotorhead, March 09, 2010, 05:09:56 PM

Rotorhead

Can someone please direct me to the specific regs that detail how cadets can be used in ES?

I have heard lots of rumors recently about what they can and can't do. I'd like to see it for myself.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

davidsinn

Quote from: Rotorhead on March 09, 2010, 05:09:56 PM
Can someone please direct me to the specific regs that detail how cadets can be used in ES?

I have heard lots of rumors recently about what they can and can't do. I'd like to see it for myself.

The only ones I can think of are the age prereqs for certain specialties and somewhere it mentions to try and keep them away from gruesome scenes but nothing actually prohibits them from participating.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

There is no reglatory guidcance....with a few caviate for specific situations.

Some specalties require certain ages.
Cadets can't drive CAP vehicles with any passanges
Cadet Pilots can't be PIC if there are any other cadets on board.

Other then that Cadets can and should be used where ever they are able to.

Caviate #2...some agencies requesting CAP assitance my not allow cadets or people under 18 to particpate in their operations.....we have had that one pulled on use a time or two.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pingree1492

The national webpage has this to offer:
http://www.capmembers.com/emergency_services/operations_support/cadets_in_emergency_services.cfm

There are no age restrictions in Colorado for minors serving in an Emergency Services role.  Also,  I don't know of and haven't heard of any local agency that has age restrictions.  Though, each county will be slightly different in their approach to SAR, there may be a few out there that have a minimum age for participation.

After you read the national webpage, you may be under the impression that cadets aren't insured while on AF assigned missions.  They're just insured differently.  All members have FTCA coverage on AFAMs.  Cadets under 18 are NOT covered under FECA on AFAMs like their senior member counterparts.  However, they are covered under the standard CAP member insurance, which is $10,000 death benefit, and up to $8,000 medical expenses.  Granted, this coverage sucks compared to FECA, but it should cover most of what a ground team can get themselves into in the field.

I had heard somewhere that Colorado may also give some sort of state FECA-type coverage to members on certain missions, but I haven't been able to confirm that.  Can't remember who the Wing Legal is at this point, but he/she would know if that is important to you.

If you still have specific questions after reading the general guidelines, feel free to PM me.  I've had a lot of cadets out on real missions (SAR and DR) in Colorado and have received nothing but positive feedback on their performance.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Flying Pig

I like to see CAP use cadets whenever possible, when appropriate.  I think its up to units to use common sense when using them, knowing your surrounding agencies.  I can tell you that if my unit were ever contacted to for SAR in my county, Cadets would not be going unfortunately.  Unless it was to man base staff.  But the S.O. is not going to conduct missions with "kids" involved.  We dont even allow our own explorers to be involved in that aspect.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 09, 2010, 06:54:39 PM
I like to see CAP use cadets whenever possible, when appropriate.  I think its up to units to use common sense when using them, knowing your surrounding agencies.  I can tell you that if my unit were ever contacted to for SAR in my county, Cadets would not be going unfortunately.  Unless it was to man base staff.  But the S.O. is not going to conduct missions with "kids" involved.  We dont even allow our own explorers to be involved in that aspect.

RIWG had this issue with the RI State Police (SAR is their domain in RI) until it was shown to them that  the cadets were covered under USAF missions.

♠SARKID♠

sardak

Except as noted above by lordmonar, there are no CAP restrictions on use of cadets in ES. I would ask those from who you've heard rumors to cite their sources that prove otherwise.

Quote from: Pingree1492 on March 09, 2010, 05:37:10 PM
I had heard somewhere that Colorado may also give some sort of state FECA-type coverage to members on certain missions, but I haven't been able to confirm that.  Can't remember who the Wing Legal is at this point, but he/she would know if that is important to you.
Colorado Revised Statutes 28-1-101 section (4) "Members of the civil air patrol, Colorado wing, shall be eligible for benefits under the "Workers' Compensation Act of Colorado"."

Eligibility is defined in "The Workers Compensation Act" in CRS 8-40-202 (1)(a)(I)(A) "...all members of the civil air patrol, Colorado wing, while said persons are actually performing duties as members of the civil air patrol, Colorado wing, and while engaged in organized drills, practice, or training necessary or proper for the performance of such duties." There is no age exclusion and cadets have been covered by this workers comp.

Mike

Pingree1492

Quote from: sardak on March 10, 2010, 04:30:03 AM
Quote from: Pingree1492 on March 09, 2010, 05:37:10 PM
Colorado Revised Statutes 28-1-101 section (4) "Members of the civil air patrol, Colorado wing, shall be eligible for benefits under the "Workers' Compensation Act of Colorado"."

Eligibility is defined in "The Workers Compensation Act" in CRS 8-40-202 (1)(a)(I)(A) "...all members of the civil air patrol, Colorado wing, while said persons are actually performing duties as members of the civil air patrol, Colorado wing, and while engaged in organized drills, practice, or training necessary or proper for the performance of such duties." There is no age exclusion and cadets have been covered by this workers comp.

Mike

Cool!  Thanks for posting that.  I'll be sure to add that to our GES Presentation!
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)