Initial Advanced Promotions on eServices

Started by PhoenixRisen, March 05, 2010, 07:07:49 AM

PhoenixRisen

Hi all,

My squadron just gained a new SM (parent of a cadet) who will be taking over our Finance Officer position, and is qualified to receive 1st Lt.  We know that promotions to 1st Lt are approved by the Squadron Commander, we just can't figure out how to get that in the system.  Under the app specific to promotions, it will only allow our commander to input the promotion to the next rank.

Any info would be great.  Thank you!

AlphaSigOU

Special appointment promotions must be accomplished manually on a Form 2. Once approved by the promoting authority, the paperwork and supporting documentation must be faxed or emailed under the commander's signature block. The promotions module in eServices is for duty performance promotions only.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on March 05, 2010, 07:44:00 AM
Special appointment promotions must be accomplished manually on a Form 2. Once approved by the promoting authority, the paperwork and supporting documentation must be faxed or emailed under the commander's signature block. The promotions module in eServices is for duty performance promotions only.

Great!  Thank you, sir!

Cecil DP

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on March 05, 2010, 07:07:49 AM
Hi all,

My squadron just gained a new SM (parent of a cadet) who will be taking over our Finance Officer position, and is qualified to receive 1st Lt.  We know that promotions to 1st Lt are approved by the Squadron Commander, we just can't figure out how to get that in the system.  Under the app specific to promotions, it will only allow our commander to input the promotion to the next rank.

Any info would be great.  Thank you!
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on March 05, 2010, 07:44:00 AM

Please check the appropriate regulation or manual before asking on CAPTALK.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

AirAux

How about not discouraging the use of Captalk??  If you don't want to respond, DON'T..  In the meanwhile let others use this site as they desire..  You don't have to read the posts and you don't have to respond..  Also, one could suggest using the Reg's without the air of authority..  This cadet was seeking information that was offered by others.  It did not require a response from you.  Perhaps if everyone used the Reg's we wouldn't need Captalk except to disparage National and the program..Right??

DogCollar

Cadet Williams ask a good question and Senior Member advanced promotions are complicated.  However, I gotta ask (and please don't think I am being disrespectful of Cadet Williams) but why is a cadet looking into a Senior Member promotion?
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Eclipse

Special appointment and missions skills promotions must be approved by the Group CC (if you have Groups) and the Wing CC.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

PhoenixCadet is not Cadet Williams. Cadet Williams now goes under the handle 'Hooah'.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

a2capt

I can see why a great many folks just take CAPTalk with a grain of salt.

Not everyone knows the regs inside and out, not everyone knows what parts are in what area, and what areas have things you'd never think to look there.

Do you just throw the book at people at meetings?

If you don't like the post, don't read it. Shut the window, move on. But everytime someone asks something on here it seems to turn into 72 moderators in a contest to see which one can shoot whoever down first, with the "look it up, let me google that for you, use the search function".

Not everyone thinks the same. Searching for stuff discussed based on thoughts is not all that fruitful in results sometimes.

now, FWIW, PhoenixCadet .. is fairly close to going Senior member, and was fairly instrumental in getting his current unit established.

Looks can be deceiving, stop judging every book by it's cover, and  every participant by their screen name.

The cover of each CAP Reg is not always fully indicative of what exactly is covered in that particular volume, and the index isn't always the most complete guide either.

DogCollar

Quote from: a2capt on March 05, 2010, 04:39:14 PM

Not everyone knows the regs inside and out, not everyone knows what parts are in what area, and what areas have things you'd never think to look there.

If you don't like the post, don't read it. Shut the window, move on. But everytime someone asks something on here it seems to turn into 72 moderators in a contest to see which one can shoot whoever down first, with the "look it up, let me google that for you, use the search function".

Not everyone thinks the same. Searching for stuff discussed based on thoughts is not all that fruitful in results sometimes.

now, FWIW, PhoenixCadet .. is fairly close to going Senior member, and was fairly instrumental in getting his current unit established.

Looks can be deceiving, stop judging every book by it's cover, and  every participant by their screen name.

The cover of each CAP Reg is not always fully indicative of what exactly is covered in that particular volume, and the index isn't always the most complete guide either.

I believe that I acknowledged that he asked a very good question and that the regs are very complicated (in my opinion).  I tried to ask my question in as respectful way that I could, however, evidently I failed.  I also stand corrected on Mr. Williams status in CAP.  I assumed something from his ID that I shouldn't have.  If I offended I apologize.

ßτε

Quote from: Eclipse on March 05, 2010, 03:23:31 PM
Special appointment and missions skills promotions must be approved by the Group CC (if you have Groups) and the Wing CC.

Not quite true for mission related skills promotions. Squadron commander is the approval authority for 2d Lt and 1st Lt promotions for mission related skills.

Quote from: CAPR 35-5First and Second Lieutenant. The squadron commander is the promoting authority for all members assigned to his/her unit for all promotions except professional appointment promotions. The wing commander is the approving authority for all professional appointment promotions.

Eclipse

Edit: see Lord's below...

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: bte on March 05, 2010, 05:33:34 PM

Not quite true for mission related skills promotions. Squadron commander is the approval authority for 2d Lt and 1st Lt promotions for mission related skills.

Quote from: CAPR 35-5First and Second Lieutenant. The squadron commander is the promoting authority for all members assigned to his/her unit for all promotions except professional appointment promotions. The wing commander is the approving authority for all professional appointment promotions.

A finance officer promotion is a "professional appointment and promotion" (Section E) and therefor must go to wing...even for a lowly 2d Lt.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AirAux

So, Are you saying that some Wings and Regions are in violation of CAP Reg's??  Now isn't that special..  National gives authority to Squadron Commanders and Regions and Wings take it away??  Very Interesting to say the least..  So we can't rely on the Reg's and therefore we shouldn't be so quick to direct everyone to the Reg's.. Correctomundo??     

ßτε

Quote from: lordmonar on March 05, 2010, 05:46:16 PM
Quote from: bte on March 05, 2010, 05:33:34 PM

A finance officer promotion is a "professional appointment and promotion" (Section E) and therefor must go to wing...even for a lowly 2d Lt.

I know. I was referring to the part about mission related skills only.

Eclipse

In this case there is no conflict with regs.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

Quote from: AirAux on March 05, 2010, 05:48:29 PM
So, Are you saying that some Wings and Regions are in violation of CAP Reg's??  Now isn't that special..  National gives authority to Squadron Commanders and Regions and Wings take it away??  Very Interesting to say the least..  So we can't rely on the Reg's and therefore we shouldn't be so quick to direct everyone to the Reg's.. Correctomundo??   

What are you talking about?

Cecil DP

If you don't like the post, don't read it. Shut the window, move on. But everytime someone asks something on here it seems to turn into 72 moderators in a contest to see which one can shoot whoever down first, with the "look it up, let me google that for you, use the search function". The cover of each CAP Reg is not always fully indicative of what exactly is covered in that particular volume, and the index isn't always the most complete guide either

The reason I ask that people look at the regulation, is so that they can learn something. It's not as if the regs aren't available through the CAP website and the individual who asked could have learned how all promotions are done, what procedures to take, and even the different types of promotion available.

"The cover of each CAP Reg is not always fully indicative of what exactly is covered in that particular volume, and the index isn't always the most complete guide either." This particular reg  (CAPR35-5) actually has on it's title "Senior Member Promotions, and is broken down by duty Performance, Professional, Mission Qualifications, and Exceptional promotions. Sounds simple to me.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

AirAux

I was talking about the fact that Eclipse stated that some Wings and Regions have to approve certain promotions including "mission related skills" when in fact the Reg's leave that to the commander.. Eclipse has now modified or edited his post so it is no more..

DogCollar

Quote from: Cecil DP on March 05, 2010, 06:12:56 PM

If you don't like the post, don't read it. Shut the window, move on. But everytime someone asks something on here it seems to turn into 72 moderators in a contest to see which one can shoot whoever down first, with the "look it up, let me google that for you, use the search function". The cover of each CAP Reg is not always fully indicative of what exactly is covered in that particular volume, and the index isn't always the most complete guide either

The reason I ask that people look at the regulation, is so that they can learn something. It's not as if the regs aren't available through the CAP website and the individual who asked could have learned how all promotions are done, what procedures to take, and even the different types of promotion available.

"The cover of each CAP Reg is not always fully indicative of what exactly is covered in that particular volume, and the index isn't always the most complete guide either." This particular reg  (CAPR35-5) actually has on it's title "Senior Member Promotions, and is broken down by duty Performance, Professional, Mission Qualifications, and Exceptional promotions. Sounds simple to me.

I admit to probably not being the brightest bulb in pack, but I'm not dumb as a rock either.  It took me several readings of 35-5 before it began to make sense to me.