Going over to the "Dark Side" ~ Change of Command

Started by WICAPMOM, December 06, 2005, 07:52:11 PM

WICAPMOM

:o Well I have told you before that I was thinking about taking over as a squadron commander.  Well it is going to happen.  I am going over to the dark side...

:-[ The change of command ceremony is going to be held tomorrow, December 7th.  Yes the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

:'( I had wanted to hold it on the 1st of December, CAP Day, but the squadron's meetings are held on Wednesdays.

I will change my signature after that.
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander
Milwaukee Comp Sqdn 5 (WI-061)

dwb

Congratulations and Condolences!

I don't have much advice to offer, except maybe a couple things.

• Don't try to change everything at once.  Learn the culture, learn why things are the way they are, then introduce change based on your priorities.
  • If you decide to change something, do it.  Following through on a goal is sometimes very difficult, but if you put it out there as a goal, make sure it happens.

I think those were probably the two things I struggled with.  When I took command, I had a laundry list of things I wanted to do.  Unfortunately, getting through the list proved far more difficult than I imagined.

If I'm ever a Commander again, I'm only going to focus on improving 1-2 things at a time, but making sure those 1-2 things actually happen and are sustained.  Real, incremental improvement has a higher chance of success than rapid, substantive improvement.  It works better in the CAP/volunteer environment, too.

Best of luck to ya!

Matt

<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

WICAPMOM

;D I survived the ceremony.  Even with Matt being there.  >:D
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander
Milwaukee Comp Sqdn 5 (WI-061)

Horn229

NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP