Cell Phone forensics

Started by Walkman, October 07, 2013, 11:09:50 PM

Walkman

I get updates from the AFRCC on Facebook (its very cool! Look them up by America's AOC) and they frequently mention a CAP cell phone forensics team that helps them narrow the search area and find lost people more quickly. Anyone know if this might become a SQTR or rolled out to the wider membership? Anyone know someone on the team? This sounds like a very cool program.

(BTW-One of the things I love about seeing the AOC Facebook posts is how often they shout out their support for us!)

Eclipse

Quote from: Walkman on October 07, 2013, 11:09:50 PM
I get updates from the AFRCC on Facebook...

Hilarious and snarky comment self-deleted.

Quote from: Walkman on October 07, 2013, 11:09:50 PM
(its very cool! Look them up by America's AOC) and they frequently mention a CAP cell phone forensics team that helps them narrow the search area and find lost people more quickly. Anyone know if this might become a SQTR or rolled out to the wider membership? Anyone know someone on the team? This sounds like a very cool program.

No - this takes specialized and secure, high-level access.  It'll be kept to a small circle of people.

However the data is available to any active search mission, and is incredibly valuable, second only to accurate NTAP, and
an outstanding compliment to it.  Critical these days in a non-aircraft SAR.

It's one of the ongoing data points provided when you take the BISC or SMC.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

In CAP that is above my pay grade.

But on my day job, cell phone forensics is really interesting. I have to give props to my partner, a total nerd/genius.  :clap:

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2013, 11:29:40 PM
Critical these days in a non-aircraft SAR.

It's one of the ongoing data points provided when you take the BISC or SMC.

We used in 2006 for a large aircraft SAR.  It was good to have, since ARCHER didn't do any good.

Eclipse

http://capvolunteernow.com/todays-features/?cap_radar_cell_phone_analysis_teams_narrow_search_for_idaho_crash_site&show=news&newsID=17779

(Why do they have an "enlarge" function when the "enlarged" photo is the same size?)

"When a single-engine plane goes down in the continental U.S. Civil Air Patrol, the nation's cell phone and radar tracking expert, is certain to be involved. The mission – reduce the search area from thousands of square miles to the actual crash site or within a couple of square miles – is urgent, because reducing the crash-to-rescue time saves lives. "

"That Others May Zoom"

The Infamous Meerkat

The crew's work is extremely helpful. I have been a GTM on the last Idaho SAR mission a few weeks ago and was the GTL for this current one. The first crash was found very close to where it should have been, and the 406 ELT w/out GPS was a bigger hindrance to the search effort than the map plotting from these guys because it led us into a different valley entirely.

On this current search they have narrowed  it down considerably for us, given the fact that there has not been an ELT signal. Without their efforts, we would be searching many hundreds of square miles on some of the roughest terrain there is.
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC