Creating an Alert Roster

Started by Walkman, October 12, 2011, 02:37:12 AM

Walkman

Newer ESO here. I need to create an alert roster for my unit. Any advice on the most efficient way to do this? I was thinking on the cadet side I'd use their chain of command. Not sure how to break out the SMs.

Thanks!

Eclipse

Make sure it has the requisite "report back up", and procedures to hop "no-answers", etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

See attached Alert Roster.  This was a DCWG form that I actually liked.  It's an oldie but goodie and it works.

I removed last names to protect the guilty.  Yes, this was an actual alert roster I used as Squadron CC.

Edit to add:  Create a Text Group in your phone where you just click the group and send a mass text message.  I use this both at work and in my Guard squadron.
Serving since 1987.

Spaceman3750

ProdigalJim

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 12, 2011, 03:31:35 AM
http://www.call-em-all.com
Hey, this is pretty cool. We've been using the hit-or-miss phone tree and email from me, and I've been looking into services like this. Most of them are a lot more expensive...I've been quoted setup fees of $125, followed by monthly fees of $35 to $59, and 15 cents per call. I've got 60 seniors to notify, so that could get pricey. Thanks for passing that on, Spaceman.

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

N Harmon

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 12, 2011, 03:31:35 AM
http://www.call-em-all.com

Seconded. Our unit uses this as well and it has worked out great for us. Though we will probably be switch to the "pay as you go" plan next year as our usage does not seem to justify the monthly cost.

NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

MSgt Van

Call-em-All is the only way to fly. Great service, inexpensive too.
I can let you use my account for a demo if you'd like.

Eclipse

I don't see anything wrong with this service, but you should not have to pay for doing this.

Get a G-Voice number for the squadron, record the alert, text your list, done.  free.  It also has the advantage
of not being sent from a personal number, and anyone can use it.

However neither is an "alert roster" - these are paging systems.  They don't tell you who's coming, what they can do, or when they will
be there, etc.  You still need something like Stonewall posted to track that (though a shared G-Doc could be used for that very effectively.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Because of the lower numbers that are on my list (which should probably be updated) I simply say "Call or text me at X with your availability" and move on with my day. I write down availability as it comes in.

That wouldn't work so well with 60 seniors to notify. Maybe if you had several alerting officers that individuals were assigned to ("Call your alerting officer with availaibility") it would work.

Robborsari

I have been using directra.com.  It is free and you can save a member report in csv format and load it into a group.  Very easy to create.  Then you have the option of sending a phone call, email, text message or whatever.  It also has a leader initiated conference call feature.  You pick your group and they all get a call.  When they answer they are on the conference.  Very simple.
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

CAPSGT

Quote from: Robborsari on October 12, 2011, 03:37:20 PM
I have been using directra.com.  It is free and you can save a member report in csv format and load it into a group.  Very easy to create.  Then you have the option of sending a phone call, email, text message or whatever.  It also has a leader initiated conference call feature.  You pick your group and they all get a call.  When they answer they are on the conference.  Very simple.

How much does Directra run?  I don't see any mention of pricing on their site.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

DakRadz

SARDOC

I just have an Emergency Services group roster in my email contacts.  I include the members email and the Email address associated with their cell phone and it emails them as well as sends them a text message.  Free.

Eclipse

Nothing is "free", and I can't see anything about their revenue model.

I'd be reluctant to be giving out contact information to a company where I can't see how they are keeping the lights on.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shotgun

Quote from: SARDOC on October 12, 2011, 07:16:28 PM
I just have an Emergency Services group roster in my email contacts.  I include the members email and the Email address associated with their cell phone and it emails them as well as sends them a text message.  Free.

I'm curious to which email program you use.   I'd love to be able to send a text message to someone in my contact list from my email program.

Stonewall

This is about 3 years old, but most of the info is still accurate.  And I know you high tech IT guys laugh at this stuff, but this is how have it set up at work.

When someone dials 911 from our property, an email is automatically sent to the Fire, Life & Safety Team notifying them simply that a 911 call was made from the extension and location it originated from.  But what if you're not sitting at your computer to see the email?  Well, we added cell phones to the recipient list.

For notification by using the automatic email system already in place, it is possible to
send a "text email" to individual phones and PDAs.  For instance, if you added "904XXXXXXX@messaging.sprintpcs.com" to the email list using the automatic "pvsupport" email system, the notification would be sent as a text message to my personal phone, thus alleviating any complications or delays when sent through my actual email address.  In fact, it would be best to send it both to my email address (myname@xxxxxxxxx.com) and my sprint phone address mentioned above for redundancy.

Below is a list of the 7 most common cell phone carriers and the way by which to send a text message from an email account.

AT&T:  yournumber@txt.att.net

Nextel:  yournumber@messaging.nextel.com

Sprint:  yournumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Cingular:  yournumber@mobile.mycingular.com

Alltel:  yournumber@message.alltel.com

T-Mobil:  yournumber@tmomail.com

Verizon:  yournumber@vtext.com
Serving since 1987.

N Harmon

Quote from: Stonewall on October 13, 2011, 01:41:02 PMWhen someone dials 911 from our property, an email is automatically sent to the Fire, Life & Safety Team notifying them simply that a 911 call was made from the extension and location it originated from.  But what if you're not sitting at your computer to see the email?  Well, we added cell phones to the recipient list.

We implemented a similar system at work when we got rid of our old telephone system. The primary purpose was for responding to incidents where employees who were used to having to dial 9 (for an outside line) were calling 9-1-1 by mistake, and then hanging up. Our security/risk management officer had to explain to them how that is not typically interpreted as "wrong number".  :clap:
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

SARDOC

Quote from: Man Of Action on October 13, 2011, 12:36:04 PM
Quote from: SARDOC on October 12, 2011, 07:16:28 PM

I'm curious to which email program you use.   I'd love to be able to send a text message to someone in my contact list from my email program.

I use gmail. But that's not the key.  You can use any email program.  You just need their Cell Phone Number and their Service Provider.

You send the email to their phone number at whatever root the service provider dictates.   for example

8005551234@messaging.sprintpcs.com    or   8005551234@verizon.net    and presto the email you send is received by them on their Cell Phone as a text.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: N Harmon on October 13, 2011, 02:44:32 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on October 13, 2011, 01:41:02 PMWhen someone dials 911 from our property, an email is automatically sent to the Fire, Life & Safety Team notifying them simply that a 911 call was made from the extension and location it originated from.  But what if you're not sitting at your computer to see the email?  Well, we added cell phones to the recipient list.

We implemented a similar system at work when we got rid of our old telephone system. The primary purpose was for responding to incidents where employees who were used to having to dial 9 (for an outside line) were calling 9-1-1 by mistake, and then hanging up. Our security/risk management officer had to explain to them how that is not typically interpreted as "wrong number".  :clap:

My university switched to 7 to get an outside line for this very reason.

RADIOMAN015

The ideal situation is that you have pre determined response teams and team leaders for each team that you can call/page/radio and they in turn will notify their team members & reply back/respond to the originator.    HOWEVER, in my wing there still is a general page to all personnel for any response incidents and the IC gets the calls back directly and determines if he will need to build a team/crew or utilize a pre existing team based upon call back availability.

Much of the tree type recall plans have been replaced electronically via a "fan' type arrangement (one point for origination of message directly to all other points.   Probably the one exception would be a total communication outage plan (e.g. recall tree by address) which can be near impossible if you have qualified ES members living over a wide geographic area.

I'm still of the opinion, that a typical consumer grade radio scanner/receiver ($90.00 new, much lower if used/garage sales) could be used as a backup radio communications alert plan in case of commercial communications disruptions .   The challenge becomes whether to use a CAP repeater (output frequencies), (and hoping the CAP radio repeater will be operational) or using another agencies' radio system that WILL be operational.       

RM